Peritoneal carcinomatosis

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Ashlee H.

Re: Peritoneal carcinomatosis

Postby Ashlee H. » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:25 pm

There are quite a few excellent HIPEC doctors, and I'm happy you are thrilled with yours. Some of us cannot afford to fly across the country for the surgery....and then if there are complications after you come home, it can be a nightmare. My HIPEC surgeon in Southern California has an excellent reputation. Unfortunately, five months after HIPEC, my CEA started to go up...and at 7 months a lymph node showed up on a scan. The HIPEC would not have affected this lymph node at all. HIPEC is still so new, and as it was mentioned, the data just isn't out on it yet. The condition of the patient going into HIPEC has a lot to do with the outcome. I'm glad I had it because I do truly believe it has extended my life.
Stage IV w/liver met dx 7-1-09
KRAS Mutant
Member of the HIPECKERS (2011) and OLYMPHIANS (2012)
2/14 - standard chemo has stopped working
3/14 - Stivarga
LIVE LIFE!

Pagal1

Postby Pagal1 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:21 pm

HIPEC is the " mother of all sxs". .. I decided to post this to let u know that u can have several complications .. It just depends.. My husband had his nov 11 .. He has signet -cell and no one told us that it is more aggressive and we r all doctors!
Regardless , here's where we r at ... Had 3 re-admissions for ileus,one for sepsis.. They cldnt find out the cause and so they took out his port and his PICC line . Now he hs hsd s PICC in for several weeks, can eat very little , extended gastroparesis is the diagnosis, quality of life hasn't need good at all .. Still on tpn ..Every time we push more food . He has an ileus .. Throws up .. So we go npo for few days and then he's btr. His cea was very high 1100 in jun when we started -avastin.. Another ileus 1stcycle...after6cycles,3of avastin he was at 496...which at wake forest was 26.. So u have a comparison
Now, CEA at our lab is back to 299 ? What she'd we do? Our onc has no suggestions except Xeloda,which my husband asked for and then really messes his gi system up .. scan was -ve
Pls help with suggestions and names of good oncs in Midwest area if u know of any ,cozi think we r beyond what r present one can do 4 us
Thx
Wife to wonderful husband
CC-6/09-age39
3C-SBTL colectomy, FOLFOX(12cyc)
7/11-cancer returns-Stage4-omental mets
6cycles FOLFORI & Avastin(3)
HIPEC & cytoredn-11/11
gastroparesis-6/12-still onTPN,liver & lung mets
Folfiri -2nd opinion now

RixInPhx

Postby RixInPhx » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:48 pm

Pagal1-

So sorry his disease and treatment are going so poorly.

Get a second opinion.
I don't know where you are in the Midwest, but Mayo in Rochester, U of Chicago, and Cleveland Clinic are major cancer treatment/research centers.

A CEA of 1100 at Dx certainly indicates a large and aggressive amount of cancer was active, and it's good to see it down to 299 now.
My CEA started at 864, was down to 17.6 after 9 sessions of Folfox + Avastin; then after just one month without chemo (for biopsy) it jumped to 320.
Though these numbers (his and mine) are quite high by most people's experience, they aren't unusual for large tumors with much involvement.

Had your DH tried the full first-line Folfox or Folfiri, in addition to the AVastin?
The Avastin is meant to prevent future mets; it's the other drugs that destroy the existing tumor.

I hope this helps,
-Rick
M 61, Dx 6/10 CRC st 4, unknown primary CEA 843
2 kg peritoneal mass, met to skull; no surgery
Various regimens of all CRC chemo drugs
Mets to lung 8/11 CEA 135
Folfiri/Erb/Ava 12/11 CEA 320
No progression 5/12 CEA 192

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”