Started Chemo today 4/18/08

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
alaskanprincess

Started Chemo today 4/18/08

Postby alaskanprincess » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:05 am

Hello everyone,

I finally decided to post on here, I've been reading your post over the past month. My best friend found this sight and said it would be helpful for me but I was too scared to talk on here. I think how stupid now, you all are so informative and helpful but I just wasn't ready. Well here I am. I am bestfriendsupporters best friend. My name is Dawn and I just started my chemo today. It went fairly well. I have this new plague called panic attacks. I don't like those but I am handling them as they come. So I had a little one today with the sugar water (pre-1st chemo treatment).

Anyways I wanted to say that the chemo went well, I did get the sensitivity to cold, I live in Alaska and as soon as I walked out the hospital door was like WHOA. I also have hardwood floor, thank goodness I have 3 pairs of slippers. My throat feels wierd but manageable so far. I will start the xeloda pills tomorrow so who knows how that will be but I like to say worry about today and let tomorrow worry about itself.

So to end this, thanks for being a great group of people on here and I am so thankful my best friend found you guys and I finally had the courage to post.

Thank you all
Dawn
DX 3/6/08 State IIIC Colon Cancer
Surgery 3/11/08
8 out of 37 nodes postitive
Start Chemo 4/18/08
Oxi & Xeloda 2 weeks

seussfan
Facebook Username: Trish Lannon

Postby seussfan » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:56 am

I am so glad you decided to post. This site was probably the best thing that happened to me during my battle with Stage 3 CC. Everyone is here to support you and help you. When I first started treatment, I had the panic attacks too. Everything is so overwhelming. But somewhere along the way the treatments became "just another day at the office." I think once you get into the routine and are familiar with how yo will feel, etc. it will get easier in a way.

Keep up the good fight! :D
Stage 3 Colon Cancer-6 of 15 lymph nodes positive/Surgery & Dx 3-5-07/Finished Folfox4 11-28-07
Stage 0/Grade 3 Breast Cancer/Double mastectomy 5-15-09/Undergoing reconstruction
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/trishlannon
2009 Colondar Model

samson

Postby samson » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:18 am

I am glad you decided to post. It has helped me in many ways. I have been on consant chemo using the pump 24/7 it was very annoying at first but it has gotten better. I was nervous to see how I would react to it but after two weeks I am doing ok. I have to go for radiation evey day I have to do this (radiation and chemo) for 5 weeks then go every two weeks for four months for more chemo. The chemo makes me tired but I try to go out and walk a little every day if I don't feel to bad and even then I go out and walk around the driveway. I'm sorry your going through this but I'm glad you decided to join us we can learn from those who have been through this and those of us who are going through it now.
jeff collins 43
diagnosed 1-18-2008 stage IIB colon cancer lower anterior resection feb. 5 2008

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:45 am

Congrats on getting through your first chemo!!!! I can only imagine the cold issues living up in Alaska!

This group has been very therapeutic for me as well. Everyone is so kind, helpful and positive. I'm glad you decided to post - it has helped me so much to be able to talk with other cancer patients in the same or similar position I am and get their input on different issues.

I'm sure your panic attacks will slow down on future chemo treatments. Now that you've been through the first one you know the routine and mentally at least, it gets easier. So stay warm and good luck with your treatments!
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:40 pm

Dawn,

Good for you - one chemo under your belt! I am glad that you decided to take the plunge and post! Your reactions are not uncommon and I would venture that most of us went through similar feelings when we had to start our own journeys. It IS overwhelming, there is no doubt about it. When I volunteer in the chemo room, I see so many patients who just break down and cry at their first treatment. I sit with them (most are not colorectal patients) and just tell them that it isn't as bad as they think it will be. I personally believe that we all have this made for TV movie perception that chemo is going to make all of our hair fall out, have us sitting in the bathroom throwing up and vomiting and make us turn into little skin and bones people who sleep the day away. Not so! Sure chemo has it's side effects, but heck so do most things in our life!

You will probably find that the next treatment is a little easier because you know what to expect. While right now it seems like the end seems SO far away, just realize that before you know it, you'll be done with the chemo-REALLY! You have just begun your cancer journey and along the way you will find some slight detours, bumps and turns in the road but you will take each one as they come (or don't come) and get through them and move one step closer to the end of your treatments.

Welcome to the group and please keep posting. Keep us posted on your progress.

Jaynee
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

Hawaii

Postby Hawaii » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:45 pm

hi Dawn,
i think you'll find alot of support and answers on this site, i know that i did the past year. its nice to know that some side effect you may be feeling, someone here has had it and can give you good ways to deal with effects.just take it day by day, you will get through this,realizing just how strong you are!
Dx March '07, transverse resection done
stage III, 27 lymph nodes removed- 1 positive
Surgery to remove the 1 positive node
finished chemo Dec. '07, Folfox, Oxal.
NED!! 2022

alaskanprincess

Thank you

Postby alaskanprincess » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:11 pm

I knew I would get positive feedback. I really appreciate it. Makes these days so much better. I started the xeloda pills today, not too bad, took a nap but i think it was because i got up early. We have a womens show today so I think I will get out of the hosue and see how that goes. I feel fine but I know NOT to over do it.
Again thank you guys so much for your reponces, i truly appreciate them.
I wish you all well.

Dawn
DX 3/6/08 State IIIC Colon Cancer

Surgery 3/11/08

8 out of 37 nodes postitive

Start Chemo 4/18/08

Oxi & Xeloda 2 weeks

shmurciakova

Postby shmurciakova » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:43 pm

Hi Dawn,
I'm from Alaska too! I live in Moose Pass. Where do you live? Who is your oncologist. Wouldn't that be crazy if we have the same doctor.
Today was gorgeous! It will be summer before you know it. At least you picked the right time of year to have to go through chemo. I never did have the chemo you are on because it only came out while I was being treated. Apparently it is very effective, so don't listen to any naysayers!
You will get through this and with a little luck your cancer problems will be over for good.
Best wishes,
Susan H. :wink:
diagnosed at 31 in 2002, Stage IV
Sigmoid colectomy - 6 mos 5-FU/Leukovorin
liver resection - 6 rounds XELIRI (xeloda/irinotecan)
lung wedge resection Oct. 2004 - no chemo
NED!!

Bestfriendsupporter

Postby Bestfriendsupporter » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:58 pm

Hi my best friend... I am SO happy to see you on here.. :D I am glad that these people on here have such nice, optimistic things to say.. You know I will always give you my advice, but what do I really know about going through this?? I love you, and I hope that the rest of your treatments are easy enough.. Hey pretty cool that another person from AK responded to your post, and someone in Battleground which is like 5 miles from me... Out of the entire world.. who would've thunk it...Luv ya.. Kris
Best Friend Dx'd 03/06/2008 stage III colon CA
8 positive nodes out of 37
right hemicolectomy 03/11/2008

ObamaOsama

Postby ObamaOsama » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:58 pm

Sorry about the cancer diagnosis. The chemo is designed to kill cancer cells, but the cancer will probably relapse in a few years. I wish you best luck.

CBR600319

Postby CBR600319 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:12 pm

ObamaOsama if you can't keep your message positive, keep it to yourself.
Sounds like someone's "Trolling" to get people fired up.

alaskanprincess, way to go !! Getting through the first one is a big step, good for you. You'll find a lot of good information on this forum. We found that our Onc. didn't always want to give us answers on certain questions - How many treatmtents, what happens after chemo, etc. etc. I don't know how many times I've read about issues on the CC forum and taken a list of questions into our next visit.

There are a lot of people on here who have beat this crap, I personally get an incredible amount of hope from reading their posts. I'd bet you will too.

Take care,
AL
Wife dx April/07 at age 28
R/T hemi-col. April/07
Stage IV, liver mets, T3,N2,M1
Folfox, 18 treaments
lymphadenectomy surgery, rt hemi col, liver biopsy Jul/08
Liver resection Sept 9th/08
Back on adjuvent Folfox Oct '08, 23 rounds total
Done chemo Feb 09

AJS
Facebook Username: Angie Jennings Stratton

Postby AJS » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:52 pm

Welcome Alaskanprincess!

We are glad you decided to post and join us. First of all.....IGNORE THE TROLL WHO DECIDED TO EXPRESS HIS/HER OPINION. With that said.... I agree with what everyone else has told you. We all have started out this journey in very similiar ways and I was sooooo glad to find the Colon Club. It helps to be able to talk to other folks that are going through the same everything that you are. We understand what you are going through.

The bright side is you've got one treatment under your belt and it will get to be a routine thing after a while. I started mine back in Feb. and I am almost half way there now. :D I just call them my "Chemo Mondays" and keep on living life.

As Jaynee said and I have to agree with her....the perception of chemo by us or friends/family do picture the worst scenario possible. I've even had some family members be so surprised that I haven't missed any work due to chemo. There are too many "good" drugs available now that make the difference.

Good luck and keep us updated on how you are doing. And again welcome to our family. :D
[size=50][color=#FF00FF]Diverticulitis/Resection 12/27/07
Dx 1/08-Stage IIIA CC-2/15 Lymph Nodes-42 yrs old
2/08-8/08 -Folfox/Erbitux
Hysterectomy 3/09-CC on Ovary-Folfiri&Avastin
1/12-resection,bladder surgery,illeostomy
3/12-Illeostomy takedown
5/13-Folfiri/Avastin

helen098

Postby helen098 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:35 pm

Glad to hear your first chemo went well.
Remember you can ask anything on this board and everyone here is very nice and helpfull. I don't want to sound stupid but how cold is it now in Alaska? It s good that your treatments will be in the summer when at least it will be warmer.
P.S. remember anyone who says negative things here really aren't part of the club and like any group of people there are bound to be jerks.
ignore them.
Hope your treatment goes well
stage 3A surgery 6/6/6 finished chemo jan 07
11 5FU/12 Levcouorin/10oxaliplatim
port removed jun 07
anal fistula surgery oct 05 may 07 feb 08 sep 08 jun 09

wwroam
Facebook Username: Wayne Whitaker

Postby wwroam » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:36 pm

One down, I guess it's 11 to go. The 1st is probably one of the worst. I found it to be. Don't let the treatment completely dictate your life. Try to retain some normalcy and keep your eye on the end of the treatment.
Stage 3a DX 25/06/07
Folfox complete 30/01/08
7 years NED
Port scheduled for removal 8/02/10 Gone.
PSA .54 No prostate problems
Diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic
SO diagnosed CC Stage IV Liver Mets 23/03/15

lorrainem
Facebook Username: https://www.facebook.com/lorraineaminogue

Postby lorrainem » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:05 pm

Welcome Dawn, sorry you have to be here but congrats on one down!!! If you feel proud of your accomplishment you should!!!!

Each one gets us that much closer to completion.

Keep us posted!
Lorraine
Chemorad/Surgery/Chemo
Stage II, no mets, no nodes NED 05/08 again 08/08 again 11/08
Ileostomy reversal 10/16/08

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”