Need advice from active sports people

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Jen

Need advice from active sports people

Postby Jen » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:17 pm

I was an avid hiker years ago and I am wanting to go on hikes again. They are usually 2-4hrs up mountains, and through wilderness. I have joined some hiking groups but during my last attempt with a friend I ended up turning around and uncomfortably running back to the grocery store below where we started to go to the bathroom. :x

I guess I could take a few immodium before heading out and hope that will do it, but often the point of exercise is to allow your body to metabolize food/energy. Also, I wonder if it is OK to take immodium then have such exertion, and to do that each time. Those who do long bike rides etc. How do you go the distance without issues? I don't want to stick to suburban activities based on amenities, I want to be out with the group hiking up and back without emergencies.

Jen
2008 March 37th Bday DX :( T3N2M0
3C Rectal Cancer, 5cm tumor, 4/33 nodes positive
28 tx IMRT Radiation, 12 tx Folfox, 1 month Xeloda
5 years NED 3/14/2013!

BrownBagger

Re: Need advice from active sports people

Postby BrownBagger » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:44 pm

In my case, I've always found that my digestive system basically shuts down during exercise, I think because the blood is needed elsewhere (i.e., in the muscles). That's why you don't want to eat a big meal before exercising. So for me, exercise has always provided relief. But, everybody's body is different.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

juliej

Postby juliej » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:08 pm

Jen, I'm the same as Eric. My digestive system goes to sleep when I'm really physically active. Granted, I don't eat heavy meals right before I run or hike though.

I'd examine your diet first. Are you eating fiber-rich foods or big meals right before you go out for a hike? That alone could trigger the need to use the bathroom. Also, in terms of diet, if you know something that really cleans you out (like a big fruit salad), you might try eating it the night before. Then, after a morning BM, you should be ready for your hike.

As far as using Imodium, it shouldn't cause any problems. It's not dehydrating (which would be the biggest concern for a strenuous hike). It just slows down your gut-transit time. You might try half an Imodium before a short hike and see if it helps, and then adjust accordingly.

Until you have this all figured out, look for hiking trails with pit toilets every so many miles. But make sure to take a roll of toilet paper in your pack because inevitably the roll in the pit toilet is empty when you need it most. Hand sanitizer is nice to take along too.
Stage IVb, liver/lung mets 8/4/2010
Xelox+Avastin 8/18/10 to 10/21/2011
LAR, liver resec, HAI pump 11/2011
Adjuvant Irinotecan + FUDR
Double lung surgery + ileo reversal 2/2012
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS rt. lung 12/2012 - benign granuloma!
VATS left lung 11/2013
NED 11/22/13 to 12/18/2019, CEA<1

debb

Postby debb » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:07 pm

Hi..I'm so glad you asked about this because the bathroom issues have been a concern for me too, in regards to exercise. For almost 20 years, I've run 3-4 miles almost every day...except during pregnancies and cancer surgeries/chemotherapy. Since my diagnosis and treatments, I have to time my runs around my bathroom cycle for the day. It is very hard for me to run with a friend now, because I can't give an exact time when I'll be "ready." That's not such a big deal because I usually run alone. And, because I time it right, I don't have a bathroom issue when I go for a run.

My big problem is when I overdo it...anytime I run longer than 3-4 miles. If I sign up for a 5 mile road race, or if it's just a beautiful day and I'm having a good run and I want to add-on another loop or two...then I pay the price for the rest of the day. I don't have to stop while I'm running...but I spend the rest of the day in and out of the bathroom. It's so annoying because I'm aerobically fit enough to increase my mileage, but I really hate giving up the rest of my day to cramps and diarrhea. I registered to run with my sister and cousin on Fred's Team (benefits MSKCC) in the next NYC Marathon and I probably won't be able to do it because I wont be able to do long training runs.

I hate to even complain because I'm grateful to be healthy enough to still run. I hesitate to add Immodium I've got a good bathroom routine otherwise. I go often, but I have no urgency, so it's not had a negative impact on my life otherwise.

You might be having a problem because of the length of time you need during a hike (2-4 hrs). If I was running that long, I'd definitely need to have a bathroom break. Good Luck..I hope you can figure out what works for you and you can enjoy the trails again.
2008, Stage 3C, age 42, mom of 4
Folfox 9/08-2/09
Met to right ovary, both removed 7/10
HIPEC 8/10
VATS 7/12, right lung
10/14 Stivarga clinical trial
3/15-7/15 Folfiri & avastin
8/16 Folfiri & avastin
Break! 10 months of freedom
1/18 - 4/23 many Folfiri & Avastin
6/23 Clinical trial REGN7075. Progression
8/23 radiation to femurs and L4
9/23 rechallenged Folfox. Allergic reaction at 4th infusion
11/23 will start Bot/Bal

raym

Postby raym » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:37 am

When I know I am going to do a fitness event (or event just away from a bathroom in general) I try to plan my eating so that things are out of my system, eating at least 2 hours before the event. If I am going early in the morning, then maybe just a yogurt. Also, bring so wet wipes in zip lock bag and another bag for the used ones. If you need to go on the hike, just find a spot in the woods. I've done that even before surgery.

I have taken immodium for some things, but I really don't like to that as it just clogs me up too much.
3/11 IIIC +/FOLFOX
4/12 HIPEC
6/12 Chmo/Rad
9/12 XELIRI+Avast/Zltra
9/13 Plvic Absc,stpd chemo
11/13 Tumr rmvd frm Lap Port incis
12/13 Xeloda
1/14 Cardiac Issue no Xeloda/5FU
3/14 Irinotecan
6/14 Stopped chemo
8/14 Clin Trial
9/14 Infectn - Stpd Trial