March - CRC Awareness Month

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Kathryn in MN
Facebook Username: Kathryn Finn-Blume

March - CRC Awareness Month

Postby Kathryn in MN » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:13 am

I never would have thought 2 1/2 years ago that I'd someday be speaking to a group of CRC survivors and caregivers about what they can do in March and beyond to support CRC Awareness Month. But that is what I did tonight. I've tweaked my hand-out sheet to cover the US instead of just MN. If anyone would like it, you can find it at this link:

http://photos.imageevent.com/kathryn_in_mn/carssouth/CRC%20Awareness%20Month%202012.pdf
CRC AUG09 Age 47
Sig Res T4a N2a Mx, KRAS mut codon13
Mets bones & nodes
FOLFOX, FOLFIRI, Avastin, Radiation
Irinotecan, Zaltrap & STAR RFA
APR13 pleurisy & ascites - more chemo & draining
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kathrynblume

Guinevere

Re: March - CRC Awareness Month

Postby Guinevere » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:19 am

Excellent!! Isn't it amazing the journeys the Lord leads us on and we have no idea there was a trip in the offing!
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
APR liver rsct, procto - Jul 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13
Exhausted treatment options - May 14

esk2poo

Postby esk2poo » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:29 am

That is amazing. I ran into a local radio personality at the doctors last week and was talking to him there. He is on 101.5 in NJ and does a 4 hour pm show. I emailed him the other day and will keep doing it until I hear something from him. I told him that March is colon cancer awareness month and asked if they could mention it, do an hour on it, get some resources in to go over the facts or whatever. I have been on a mission from day one telling everyone to go get a colonoscopy. Cutting out a couple of polyps every couple of years is a hell of a lot better than going through major surgeries and chemo.
Praying for the end of all cancers and suffering.
Allen
Dx 8/23/11 stage 3b crc
3 of 11 LN's
resection 9/15/11
folfox start 10/31/11 12 sessions
De-ported 6/2012
clear CT 7/2012
Clear colonoscopy 9/2012

abuttigi

Postby abuttigi » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:32 am

I'm planning on telling my dad's story (with his permission, of course) to show people my age that this cancer can happen to anyone, and to encourage them to bother their parents/aunts/uncles/cousins/whoever until they get screened. I hope people listen, but better to try then not I guess.

Angie
Daughter to George (64)
Dx'ed Jan '11 Stage IV CC liver and peritoneum, KRAS mutant
Folfox
Folfori, Avastin
SIRT
Aug '12- progression in liver, mets to lungs
Oct '12- mets to bone, Regorafenib
Nov '12- Hospice
12/10/12- Became my beautiful angel in heaven

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:10 pm

Great timing! I'm speaking to a group next week - I'm going to include your hand out - with a few local tweaks - thanks!
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

Ivona
Facebook Username: Ivona Bradley

Postby Ivona » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:07 pm

4 years ago I didn't even know what colorectal cancer was.... :shock:

now I think I know more about the disease than my damn doctor!!! :?
dx'd Oct '08 (age 48)
T3bN2Mx
9/23 LN's
resection Nov '08
Folfox Jan '09 - March '09
Xeloda March 24/09 - July 6/09

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it's called 'the present'. "

crazymotherof8

Postby crazymotherof8 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:07 pm

March 2nd is Dress in Blue day and I took one of the Dress In Blue information facts and symptoms flyer from the Colon Cancer Alliance website to my children's schools and they were happy to participate in Dress in Blue day. They will send home the fact sheet and encourage the children to show support for my husband and my children, their classmates, on March 2nd. My husband also sent the fact sheet to the PR dept of his work and they said they will also do something to get the word out as well. I hope that this will get more people in our community talking about colorectal cancer!
Niki
DH Matt - 49 - father to 8
Dx Mar11 w/Mets to liver, lungs Folfox + Avastin Mar 11 - Jul 11
Sept11 Spleen remvd bc low platelets
Oct12 Folfox+Avastin
Mar12 Folfiri+Avastin
Aug12 bone mets; irinotecan+Erbitux
Dec12 chemo failed - trial
passed June 17, 2013

sadysue

Postby sadysue » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:51 pm

I purchased a couple of t-shirts today that advertised colorectal cancer awareness. I plan to wear them as often as possible during March....and as often as possible after March. If it brings awareness to even a couple of people, I'll feel it was money well spent. I'll speak to anyone who approaches me (and hopefully some will) to ask questions. I've never been able to speak about anything in front of a group of people but this new subject for me (rectal cancer) I could address in front of a million people with no fear.
Mary Ann
Rectal dx 4/2011 (Stage 3B - T3N1M0)
5FU/Rad - daily/6 wks ending 6/2011
Surgery 8/19/2011
Finished 8 rounds Folfox 2/2012
Ileo reverse and port out 3/2012
NED

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:07 pm

Foks, if you want t-shirts or clothing to "work" awareness during March, I can highly recommend the shirts from both Colon Cancer Alliance and Fight Colorectal Cancer. And when you buy those shirts, you'll also be contributing to the organizations who spend money on research, patient support and year-long awareness programs.

CCA has several different tees, a baseball cap and a brand new scrub top. The scrub top runs big (which I like). The workmanship on the scrub top (the slogan is embroidered) is very well done.

FightCRC has a short sleeve tee and a baseball cap. Note: if you're coming to Call on Congress, you'll get a tee shirt that may be different from the ones for sale in the store, or may be the same...it changes each year.
Be in harmony with your expectations. - Life Out Loud
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
2/11 recurrence R lung, spinal bone mets - chemo, RFA lung mets
4/12 stopped treatment

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:33 am

And while we're talking about ways to raise awareness and buying tee shirts - how is it that the petition from CRC advocates to light the White House in blue has ONLY 906 signatures as of Feb. 20th ?!? There have to be more than 906 Americans who care about colorectal cancer awareness displays?

According to the SEER data, as of 2008 there were over 1.1 million people in the US living with colon or rectal cancers - and according to the same database, over 49,000 Americans died of complications of CRC in 2011. The average US deaths per year runs around 50,000 people, and is only slightly dropping in the last three years - CRC is still the #2 most deadly cancer that affects both men and women, behind only lung cancer.

Yes, you have to create an account at We the People, the online electronic petition site created at whitehouse.gov. I wrote up the process in my column today. You enter the exact same information when you register for this forum. Unlike many advocacy opportunities, you don't have to be able to travel, have too much spare time, be able to ride run or walk a long distance, get donations to your cause, or even be feeling at the top of your game to do this - you just have to admit, electronically, that you care about promoting colorectal cancer awareness.

And I gotta admit - blue spotlights on the White House door are a LOT more classy than a ginormous pink ribbon hanging the whole length of the North Portico and swaying in the Pennsyvania Avenue breeze. Butt and ass cancer may have a high "ick" factor, but that doesn't mean we can't ask for a classy awareness display. ;)

So...have you signed the petition yet?
Be in harmony with your expectations. - Life Out Loud
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
2/11 recurrence R lung, spinal bone mets - chemo, RFA lung mets
4/12 stopped treatment

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”