Low Anterior Resection Surgery

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
k mohammed

Re: Low Anterior Resection Surgery

Postby k mohammed » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:48 pm

5 months after LAR, never felt better, like i never had surgery. Doing all the things i liked again, just enjoying life again with my wife.

Jachut
Facebook Username: hutchinson@aanet.com.au

Postby Jachut » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:53 am

Not such a great outcome for me after an ultra low resection. Iwas fine with the ileostomy but my bowel function after reversal is horrible. I have a functionl obstruction, no matter how soft or bulky I make my stool I cannot pass it without a big dose of a laxative Or a water enema - I have to create an explosion. This tends to make me quite sick for a few hours afterwards - so although I am not bothered by diarrhoea or frequency having a bowl movement is a pretty traumatic and unpleasant event for me most days.

It causes me a fair bit of anxiety as I do fer needing to go in a social setting.

k mohammed

Postby k mohammed » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:42 pm

Sorry to hear about your condition Jachut. got to say that i was blessed to have a really top surgeon. My bowel movement is well under control stool has good consistency, i eat lots ot dark greens and fruits, exercise regularly,and back working 10 hr shift everyday since Sept. Im looking forward to a great 2013. Ps just hang in there im sure improvement is coming with every new day. God Bless.

sbinwa

Postby sbinwa » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:07 pm

Hi, I know this query was posted a while ago, but I also know that before my surgery I read everything I could find, no matter how old. I had an LAR in October 2012. I had part of my rectum and all of my sigmoid colon removed. I did not have an ileostomy. Except for the first 24 hours after surgery, I was relatively comfortable and did not need much in the way of pain medication. I was in the hospital for 7 days, the last two because my doctor would not release me until I had had a bowel movement. I was quite concerned about this also. I think that the pain medication I was taking delayed the bowel movement, and I simply did not take any for 36 hours before my discharge. Frankly, I didn't need it anyway. I had diarrhea after I got home constantly with a lot of gas. After about 3 days of this, I started taking Imodium and Gas X. Before your surgery, stock up on both of these medications (try the Dollar store) as well as baby wipes or a "wiping lotion". I learned fairly quickly what I could eat and what I could not eat, as well as when to take more Imodium before it was too late. At first I was eating very little and following the bland diet I had been given at the hospital, but I actually did better once I started eating more normal. With more food in my system, I had less gas and my BMs started to be more formed. I still avoid fiber (veggies and fruit) spicy foods, and anything that gave me gas before the surgery - particularly carbonated drinks. I can eat most everything else with no problem as long as I take an Imodium every 24 to 36 hours. They make a pill that contains the simethicone with the anti-diarrheal which is good. The Imodium stops not only the diarrhea but also the feeling (spasms?) like you have to go all the time.

I wish the doctor would have told me that this procedure would change my life - but he didn't. I will probably never enjoy a bag of popcorn at the movies again, and Chinese food is pretty iffy also. But all in all, life is pretty much the same as always.

coffeeme
Facebook Username: coffeemee

Postby coffeeme » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:06 am

I am new to this forum and have found some comfort here as well. I was diagnosed Oct 17 with Stage 3B Rectal Ca and started concurrent radiation and 5FU w/pump for 5.5 weeks-finished that up 12/27/12. I'm healing up now, with LAR scheduled for 2/21/13. The hope is that I will have a temp ileostomy (tumor is very close to the sphincter, so questionable right now) and have 4.5 months of chemo ahead. I've had a terrible time with hemmorhoids (finally clearing up now) and constant burning/pain in the surrounding area. I'm feeling scared about the surgery and all that is to come afterwards. I've survived 2 bouts of breast cancer already, so this is a different end of things! I am encouraged to hear that many of you are doing so well. I feel like it is going to be an awful long road getting to the other side of this--although I know I will get there!!
Susan
Susan

Stage IIIb Rectal ca dx at age 52, 10/12
T3N1M0
LAR w/temp ileo scheduled 2/21/13

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”