Anti cancer diet?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Raclette

Anti cancer diet?

Postby Raclette » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:26 am

Am starting anti-cancer diet as given by Soloman Wickey, Amish healer. Anyone know anything about this? Seems like a healthy diet, but am sure it will cause weight loss.
Thank you anyone who can help!
R
Dx 01/10 stage IV cc, mets to uterus & sac ofcancer seeds
Folfax 1/10-5/10
06/10 5Fu & Avastin
NED until 12/11
Mets to ovaries & cancer seeds in pelvis
01/12 start irinotechan & Vectibix
04/12 stopped iri & Vectibix-not working

Nickmark59
Facebook Username: nickmark59

Re: Anti cancer diet?

Postby Nickmark59 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:11 am

I would be very hesitant to start any kind of diet with out first discussing it with my Oncologist . To make sure it is safe and properly balanced.

some take a vegan route some supplements etc but do not do it with out first checking as you could do much more harm to your self.
CRC- IV 7-th yr Survivor -5 rectal tumors 1 bleeding with mets to liver
Rad. 36 treat.
with 6 Chemo 2-Ox.- 4 Fol.
surgery 15 hrs to resect colon and liver- Feb 08
follow up 6 chemo Folfox
www.darkinvestigations.blogspot.com

lydia123

Postby lydia123 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:40 am

I don't know if you are the patient or the caregiver, in treatment or out of treatment, overweigh or underweight, but I can tell you that if I had put my husband on that diet during chemo and recovery....

He would have had my head on a spike.

The best chemo diet is as follows: try to eat a balanced nutritious diet as best as you can. Don't eat anything dangerous to the imune-suppressed.
lydia123
caregiver to husband dx stage III colon/rectal cancer 5/10
6/10 surgery
7/10: FOLFOX began -- became nausea management expert
12/10: Chemo-radiation ended, scans clean.
NED since, but some scans required follow-up

nbrandt
Facebook Username: craig.brandt

Postby nbrandt » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:18 am

I concur with the others that recommend talking with your oncologist if you are in treatment. The American Cancer Society has the anti-cancer diet which is much like the Mediterranean Diet. At the ehow site I found http://www.ehow.com/way_5454624_solomon ... -diet.html with recommendations to treat mind body spirit. He recommends celery carrot vegetable drinks and whole grains. The herbs would need to be checked out by an oncologist to make sure they do not interfere with chemo.
I am using TAi Chi, prayer, exercise and now adding juicing to the Mediterranean Diet to my surveillance plan. Living life between scans.
NBrandt
DXCCT3N2aMx 5/20LN
Folfox10/10-4/11
Scan 10-13-10,4-4-11,7-4-11,9-22-11,4-9-12,9-24-12,10-1-13,4-9-14,9-17-14,9-10-15,9-15-17NED,
CEA 1. Pre .6 7-4-11 .7 9-22-11 .6
1-13-12 .9 4-9-12 .7 9-24-12 .6 1-4-13 .8 10-1-13 .8 4-9-14 .7 9-17-15.8
Courage, Hope, Health

RixInPhx

Postby RixInPhx » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:06 pm

nbrandt wrote:At the ehow site I found http://www.ehow.com/way_5454624_solomon ... -diet.html with recommendations to treat mind body spirit.
NBrandt

Thanks for the link, very informative.

Strange that an Amish healer would recommend against using a microwave oven. :roll:

:D :D
M 61, Dx 6/10 CRC st 4, unknown primary CEA 843
2 kg peritoneal mass, met to skull; no surgery
Various regimens of all CRC chemo drugs
Mets to lung 8/11 CEA 135
Folfiri/Erb/Ava 12/11 CEA 320
No progression 5/12 CEA 192

RixInPhx

Postby RixInPhx » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:14 pm

lydia123 wrote:I don't know if you are the patient or the caregiver, in treatment or out of treatment, overweigh or underweight, but I can tell you that if I had put my husband on that diet during chemo and recovery....

He would have had my head on a spike.

From her other current thread, Raclette is the patient, with Stage 4 that has recurred after a period of NED.

She's on Irinotecan + Vectibix, and looking at alternatives to increase her survivability.

Best of luck to her, and to all of us.
-Rick
M 61, Dx 6/10 CRC st 4, unknown primary CEA 843
2 kg peritoneal mass, met to skull; no surgery
Various regimens of all CRC chemo drugs
Mets to lung 8/11 CEA 135
Folfiri/Erb/Ava 12/11 CEA 320
No progression 5/12 CEA 192

Raclette

Postby Raclette » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:25 am

Thank you all for your opinions. The diet specifically is basically a vegan diet, except for some reason you are allowed butter & cottage chees without salt. No sugar, no salt, no flour. It's sounding pretty austere to me right now especially as I'm quite hungry! I tried to drink the quart of carrot & celery juice that is part of it, but only got half down.
I didn't think it would be this hard since I haven't eaten beef in over 20 yrs, & eat minimal other meats. My downfall has always been cheese, I am a cheese lover all around, except for cottage cheese with no salt--- ugh! Tastes like dry-wall!
My big concern though is with the supplements & enzymes. After reading everyone's replies, I guess I will come clean next week when I see my onc. & tell him about the diet & ask about the supplements. But I'm pretty sure he won't like it.!
Thanks everyone!
Raclette
Folfax 1/10-5/10
06/10 5Fu & Avastin
NED until 12/11

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:13 am

Raclette, you mention this diet, a faith healer, several things that sound pretty desperate - but in none of your threads have you mentioned whether you've ever gone to a major, multi-disciplinary cancer center to consult with oncologists and surgeons who could give you a team-approach second (or third) opinion.

Yes, it sounds as though you're running out of drugs - after all, right now we've really only got about six. However, with the types of mets you list (ovarian, pelvic), some types of surgery might still be possible at a major cancer center that does complex surgeries more routinely than your local doctors. Ovarian mets can usually be removed by hysterectomy and you might even be responsive to a partial pelvice exenteration, unless the tumors are wrapped around or invading other organs. Sometimes, that can be a surgical choice even if other organs are around.

I know that you mentioned in your other thread that you'd really not gotten into support forums when dx'd because you'd hoped just being positive would make the cancer go away. But it didn't just go away because you didn't seek support (stage IV cancer usually doesn't). Now your cancer is recurrent and you're finding your chemo options narrowing. That happens to a lot of stage IV and recurrent patients eventually. But just because chemo options are narrowing doesn't mean there is no help on the horizon. For one thing, Regorafenib - the first new drug in eight years - will likely be in compassionate (early) release before mid-year, and if you've failed other regimens and have progression, you might be eligible for the program.

However, it looks from your posts that when you took the leap into being your own advocate and seeking out other options, you've maybe skipped an essential step - the major cancer center consult with a team of oncs and surgeons who see these kinds of cases more often.

Have you considered seeing another oncologist with more experience with complex mets than your current doctor? If you're in Indiana, there are major cancer centers in Indianapolis (Indiana University) and W. Lafayette (Purdue). Depending on where you are in IN, you might also want to check out the major NCI cancer centers in neighboring Illinois, Ohio and Michigan. Yes, you might have to travel. But maybe that trip to a different oncology treatment center might offer a more dependable or proven solution than a diet that depends on celery and carrot juice.

If it were me, before grasping at straws like supplements, juice cocktails and faith healers, I'd want to make sure I'd exhausted all of the medical options available to me. Don't get me wrong - I do think diet is important to some extent. But diet and faith healing simply do not have the track record of cancer control that chemo, radiation and surgery have.
Be in harmony with your expectations. - Life Out Loud
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
2/11 recurrence R lung, spinal bone mets - chemo, RFA lung mets
4/12 stopped treatment

kimmercans
Facebook Username: kimschlagel@msn.com

Postby kimmercans » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:37 am

I think diet is HUGE. If not to prevent recurrence, then to support the body through healing after surgery and the ravages of chemotherapy and radiation.

We simply do NOT support our body enough...and we have VERY high expectations. What gives? Our bodies.

Nourish, fuel and support your body with a diet that is nutritious and full of anti-oxidants.

I said this before....the road you were on before you were diagnosed LED TO CANCER. Look at every aspect of that road (diet, relationships, level of stress). If you don't make any changes, just remember...you are still on that road. Take an exit and take a different path.

Best wishes and highest hopes.
Kim
Kimberly Age 54 Diagnosed at 44
Dx'd rectal ca 10/12/09
LAR,TME 10/14/2009 Stage 2a
Opted out of Folfox.
4/19/12 CT scan clear NED CEA<0.5
10/2019 still NED
Taking curcumin, Celebrex, vitamin d, digestive enzymes, bio identical hormone replacement.
2015 to present. Stopped all surveillance. Living life one glorious day at a time.

GQ0128

Postby GQ0128 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:26 am

ditto kimmercans...I too BELIEVE WHAT YOU EAT MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE>I was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer. I was told the cancer could not be cured only slowed for a couple of years. I decided to give chemo a 6 month try and gauge the results ...My young beautiful wife wanted to be a part in the fight. She researched nutrition that would feed me and not the cancer and support my immune system. I did not really believe it would matter , However since I am now 10 months in remission with clean CAT & PET scans i am convinced nutrition is key.She also motivated me to exercise daily even when I did not want to + she took away the stress insisting on dealing with insurance and bills.My doctors are amazed at the results. I have now researched this subject and believe it is an essential part of beating cancer! YES Nutrition IS an important part in beating cancer. Wrong foods place an enormous amount of stress on the body’s cells, causing normal body cells to become acidic, high in sugar, and cancerous during the dividing process. It is important to adopt an alkaline diet filled with raw fruits and vegetables, and to avoid white flour, sugar, meat and dairy products ( except cottage cheese).
Best GQ
PS GOOGLE Beating Cancer with nutrition & Dr Budwig Diet for starters [/QUOTE]

Ivona
Facebook Username: Ivona Bradley

Postby Ivona » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:05 pm

Well IMHO, not all of us had lousy diets when we got cancer. :shock:

If diet alone was a cure-all we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Human beings have evolved to be omnivores and I think that the more variety of foods you eat the better your chances of getting the important nutrients your body needs for optimum health. This is why I am always doubtful when I read about all these fad diets promoting one set of foods over another. In many cases the proponents of such diets are in it to make money from gullible and desperate people.

Like so many other cancer patients, I have spent a ton of energy trying to figure out WHY I got sick. I've gone thru my past with a fine tooth comb....and while I have my pet theories, I am afraid I will never know the real reason why my body turned against me and allowed the cancer cells to take hold.

Now I simply try to do the best I can for my body. I've lost 30lbs last year, I exercise daily, I watch my stress levels, I eat a balanced diet, don't eat any junk (never have) and I "try'" to stay clear of chemicals...but that's no easy task in our modern world. Honestly, is there anything else I can do? I doubt it. And I'll be damned if I have to give up my wine!!! :lol: :lol:
dx'd Oct '08 (age 48)
T3bN2Mx
9/23 LN's
resection Nov '08
Folfox Jan '09 - March '09
Xeloda March 24/09 - July 6/09

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it's called 'the present'. "

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:19 pm

Ivona wrote:.... And I'll be damned if I have to give up my wine!!! :lol: :lol:

It IS about quality of life after all :shock: !
Actually a suggestion might be to try organic wines, or those from countires (Argentina I am told) which are too high in elevation to need some of the sprays used in N. America and much of Europe..... and limit quantities..... NO Stanley Cup after parties !

Another part of the Inspire Health Cancer Care Program supports making as many changes as possible away from the "typical" western style diets to known beneficial foods and the so called "superfoods." I'll post more later in the "CANUCK" thread as I work through some of it..... or maybe more appropriately .. as some of IT works its way through ME !
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Laurettas

Postby Laurettas » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:26 pm

If diet alone was a cure-all we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Human beings have evolved to be omnivores and I think that the more variety of foods you eat the better your chances of getting the important nutrients your body needs for optimum health. This is why I am always doubtful when I read about all these fad diets promoting one set of foods over another. In many cases the proponents of such diets are in it to make money from gullible and desperate people.

I agree with this statement but had one question, Ivona. What do you think we evolved from--herbivores or carnivores?

Reading this site has caused me to really question the current thinking about diet and exercise. So many people on here who got cancer in their 30's, 40's and sometimes even 20's WERE exercising and eating in a manner that is considered healthy by today's standards.

I think we have to do some more looking to find just what in our daily lives might help or hinder protecting our bodies from cancer. Personally, I am tending to think it may be a deficiency of micronutrients--minerals and vitamins--that might be occurring from the manner in which we are raising and processing our foods, as well as "protecting" ourselves from the sun which gives us a very necessary nutrient. But, that is just my very amateur opinion!
DH 58 4/11 st 4 SRC CC
Lymph, peri, lung
4/11 colon res
5-10/11 FLFX, Av, FLFRI, Erb
11/11 5FU Erb
1/12 PET 2.4 Max act.
1/12 Erb
5/12 CT ext. new mets
5/12 Xlri
7/12 bad CT
8/12 5FU solo
8/12 brain met
9/12 stop tx
11/4/12 finished race,at peace

Raclette

Postby Raclette » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Ivona wrote:Well IMHO, not all of us had lousy diets when we got cancer. :shock:
. Honestly, is there anything else I can do? I doubt it. And I'll be damned if I have to give up my wine!!! :lol: :lol:

I didn't think it was safe to drink wine or beer or anything like that while on chemo! The literature I got with the start of irinotechan & Vectibix said no alcohol. Does it depend what the chemo is?
Appreciate your comments Ivona, thanks
Raclette
Folfax 1/10-5/10
06/10 5Fu & Avastin
NED until 12/11

Raclette

Postby Raclette » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:48 pm