Anti cancer diet?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
RixInPhx

Re: Anti cancer diet?

Postby RixInPhx » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:56 pm

The main thing about chemo and wine/beer/cocktails is that most chemo agents have a serious effect on the stomach's mucous lining, thus the nausea and possibly acid indigestion.
Also the mucous lining of the intestines; thus the constipation/diarrhea roller-coaster.

The alcohol itself thru your bloodstream is no big deal, and doesn't affect the action of *most* chemo agents.
I can't take more than a small glass of wine or half a beer even 3 days out from a chemo session.
But the day before a session, I'm fine with a couple beers.

It all depends on how your body is responding to your regimen.

If taking antibiotics, of course the instruction is NO ALCOHOL.
And same for concurrent opioids.

But of the 'Big 6' in CRC treatment (5-FU, Oxi, Iri, Erbi, Vectibix, and Avastin), none is significantly affected by moderate alcohol consumption. For Drug Interactions, and Food/alcohol Interactions with drugs, see:
* 5-FU: http://www.drugs.com/food-interactions/ ... racil.html
* Oxaliplatin: http://www.drugs.com/food-interactions/Oxaliplatin.html
* Irinotecan: http://www.drugs.com/food-interactions/Irinotecan.html
* Erbitux (Cetuximab): http://www.drugs.com/food-interactions/Cetuximab.html
* Vectibix (Panitumumab): http://www.drugs.com/food-interactions/Panitumumab.html
* Avastin (bevacizumab): http://www.drugs.com/food-interactions/bevacizumab.html
Don't know about Xeloda.

HTH, Rick
M 61, Dx 6/10 CRC st 4, unknown primary CEA 843
2 kg peritoneal mass, met to skull; no surgery
Various regimens of all CRC chemo drugs
Mets to lung 8/11 CEA 135
Folfiri/Erb/Ava 12/11 CEA 320
No progression 5/12 CEA 192

Raclette

Postby Raclette » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:22 am

Thanks for the info!
R
Dx 01/10 stage IV cc, mets to uterus & sac ofcancer seeds
Folfax 1/10-5/10
06/10 5Fu & Avastin
NED until 12/11
Mets to ovaries & cancer seeds in pelvis
01/12 start irinotechan & Vectibix
04/12 stopped iri & Vectibix-not working

GQ0128

Postby GQ0128 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:07 pm

The role of dietary factors in fighting cancer -Unfortunately many people undergoing cancer treatment don’t receive the nutrition and metabolic support they need to stay strong and nourished throughout treatment and later in remission. Eat for a purpose = boost your immune system, eat foods that will help to fight the spread of cancer and contribute to your overall defense against any existing tumors. There are many books and articles written about foods that fight cancer. EXAMPLE :Quillin, Patric.Beating Cancer With Nutrition. The Nutrition Times Press, Inc., 1994. (Note: this is aimed at a diet to be used in conjunction with the big three: surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy.)Occasionally people who have cancer feel that, if food plays a role in cancer, then they are somehow to blame for their disease. As such, guilt and blame often become concerns for people dealing with cancer. However, these feelings are burdens that help no one. Besides, it makes no sense to blame anyone for things they had no way of knowing. I was told Dec. 2010 with stage 4 colon cancer I had only 3 years to live , now I am in remission because of eating with purpose , exercise and avoiding stress.
I am suggesting "Diet" is one way of increasing the odds in your favor and it´s a proven way to get well and be well. Two years ago the World Cancer Research Fund took an overview of all the available evidence and concluded that 30-40 per cent of all cancer can be prevented by dietary change.
Best, GQ

Ivona
Facebook Username: Ivona Bradley

Postby Ivona » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:10 pm

I didn't mean to imply that drinking alcohol is ok during treatment. I pretty much abstained while on treatment because wine tasted metallic and nasty anyways....plus I didn't wish to add an extra stress to my aleady hardworking liver! :?

Once treatment finished, I threw myself into eating super healthy and yes, I took up my wine again...lol. :lol:
dx'd Oct '08 (age 48)
T3bN2Mx
9/23 LN's
resection Nov '08
Folfox Jan '09 - March '09
Xeloda March 24/09 - July 6/09

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it's called 'the present'. "

Raclette

Postby Raclette » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:48 pm

Lots of good info from everyone, thanks again! FYI. My onc was fine with the Amish supplements, & said one of their docs. Had researched one of the supplements & found it to help kill cancer. So that was good news to me . I have since been taking all the supplements & trying to eat a healthy diet with minimal meat, but considering trying again the more extreme amish and or Budwig diet. Also thinking of finding more out about this HIPEC treatmentv& if I would be eligible and if so if my insurance would cover. So far it's way over my head & I don't understand it much. Here in IL/WI doesn't seem available.
If anyone reads this & has some info, I'd appreciate it!
Thanks much
R
Folfax 1/10-5/10
06/10 5Fu & Avastin
NED until 12/11

RixInPhx

Postby RixInPhx » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:05 pm

Raclette wrote:...Also thinking of finding more out about this HIPEC treatmentv& if I would be eligible and if so if my insurance would cover. So far it's way over my head & I don't understand it much.
Here in IL/WI doesn't seem available.
If anyone reads this & has some info, I'd appreciate it!

To locate HIPEC surgeons, go here: http://www.hipectreatment.com/?gclid=CI ... tgod6xwE8w

On the menu, click on 'Contact a Doctor'; then input your zipcode, and distance willing to travel.
It will note the qualified doctors, and the facility with which they are associated.

HTH

Raclette

Postby Raclette » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:10 pm

Rick, thanks!
Am just starting to explore this. After first reading some stuff here about it I figured I'd never have courage to try it. But now, something's changing my mind & iif it offers hope, then maybe.
Had chemo today, so not much good but did want to ask questions here & see if anyone would reply. Thanks again!
Jennifer
Folfax 1/10-5/10
06/10 5Fu & Avastin
NED until 12/11

RixInPhx

Postby RixInPhx » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:25 pm

How are you doing on the Irinotecan + Vectibix?

I tried Vectibix back in the summer of '11, and my magnesium level was so low at the end of round 2 that the onc nurses wouldn't release me,
Had me wheeled over to ER where I spent a wonderful 5 hours getting IV and oral mag supplements just to meet a minimum threshhold for release.
Then changed to Irin + Erbitux, which is also a magnesium thief but at least tolerable.

By end of December it was clear that wasn't enough (rising CEA and mucho Ascites), so we threw everything at it: Folfiri + Avastin biweekly, and Erbitux weekly. Had the big one yesterday, doing OK today.
My peritoneal mass, at 2 kgs spread all over, is too advanced for HIPEC; there would be nothing left if all the tumor were removed.

Please look into the HIPEC; you might be a good candidate, with localized tumors that aren't too advanced.
But I don't know if those tumors/structures are within the peritoneum, which is where HIPEC does its work against leftovers and wanderers.

Best of luck,
-Rick

pog451
Facebook Username: andrew.morgan

Postby pog451 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:06 am

Im still waiting on any believable studies that will support the claims of some of the more wacky diets out there and the most useful part of the article on the Wickey diet I found was a link to another article called "How to Stop Cancer With Diet" which said:

1 Eat fruits.
2 Eat vegetables.
3 Eat fish.
4 Exercise.

Thats about all you need to know.

Bloom County [c] Berke Breathed

As far as Alcohol goes, personally Im (mostly) abstaining while on Xeloda, both to give my liver a chance to deal with the poison but also to help with the only major issue which is hydration (my onc specifically allowed a glass or two of wine/beer while under treatment).
09.11 Dx @ 46, uT3uN1M0 G2
11.11 radio+Xeloda
01.12 LAR
03.12 Xeloda
09.12 Liver mets, 2 LN
09.12 Folfox+Avastin
02.13 Resection
04.13 Folfox & Avastin
11.13 Local recurrence
02-07.14 FOLFIRINOX
08.14 Re-rediation
Left us 28.05.2015

pog451

Postby pog451 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:15 am

Raclette wrote:GQ,
Thanks, I will google the Budwig diet.
R

"Evidence for the effectiveness of the Budwig diet is limited as most research has only been done on cell culture studies and experiments on rats and mice with inconsistent results. Such studies suggest that flaxseed may possibly be beneficial for cancers in mice. Some small studies have been done in humans which suggest flaxseed may be beneficial in reducing the risk of prostate cancer but more studies would be necessary to confirm any effects. There is no reliable evidence available for the effectiveness of the full Budwig protocol."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johanna_Budwig
11.11 radio+Xeloda
01.12 LAR
03.12 Xeloda
09.12 Liver mets, 2 LN
09.12 Folfox+Avastin
02.13 Resection
04.13 Folfox & Avastin
11.13 Local recurrence
02-07.14 FOLFIRINOX
08.14 Re-rediation
Left us 28.05.2015

Raclette

Postby Raclette » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:08 pm

Rix,
I'm doing ok, the dry skin is quite painful, but that's not much in comparison with what you are dealing with! I tried to send you an email cos i knew id get verbose but don't think it went through, so I'll try & be brief here. My magnesium is low too, but I get weekly infusions & started taking magnesium citrate which helped a little, but yesterday counts were down again.
Sounds like you are on a tough regime with Folfiri, Avastin & erbitux. How's it going? Don't know what you mean by the big one yesterday? But glad you are better today. Is the chemo doing its job?
Was there a time when you were a candidate for HIPEC & did you consider it? From the little I know, it sounds really really scary!
People here seem so incredibly brave compared to how I feel.
By the way, have you ever been to the old car show in Iola, WI? It's really a good one & pretty famous I think. This year it's July 12-15. My brother lives there, so I've been to the show a couple times, & know nothing about cars but it was fun.
Ok, I'll quit
Hope you feel better
R
Folfax 1/10-5/10
06/10 5Fu & Avastin
NED until 12/11

jeanette57

Postby jeanette57 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:38 pm

Iam on chemo/rad- I am allow no more than 3% fiber or else GI blues from HELL! BRAT (all white has helped) but the really hard part-------- write each bite then time BMs occur so I know what foods stay long enough to give me maximun nutrition. Do you guts do this to protect colon before and after surgery?? My On nurse is getting on me to be better at writting.times!
T3 N0 M0 -1-4-12 to 3-2013- NOW stage 4 terminal
mets Lungs & bone - halo on head (not to many can see unicorn horn)
chemo for life or until I quit

pog451

Postby pog451 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:32 am

To provide some personal experience on alcohol - I was on a rest week of my xeloda cycle last week, had some visitors over the weekened and ended up having something like four glasses of wine and a beer over the weekend.

Serious regrets on sunday night, ok again today.
11.11 radio+Xeloda
01.12 LAR
03.12 Xeloda
09.12 Liver mets, 2 LN
09.12 Folfox+Avastin
02.13 Resection
04.13 Folfox & Avastin
11.13 Local recurrence
02-07.14 FOLFIRINOX
08.14 Re-rediation
Left us 28.05.2015

CheeseHead

Postby CheeseHead » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:02 am

Ivona wrote:I didn't mean to imply that drinking alcohol is ok during treatment. I pretty much abstained while on treatment because wine tasted metallic and nasty anyways....plus I didn't wish to add an extra stress to my aleady hardworking liver! :?

Mmm, well, red wine has high concentrations of resveratrol which might help fight cancer. (Got it from David Servan-Schreiber's Anticancer).
My onc said I could drink in moderation if I wanted... though for some reason, the xelox made me less than enthousiastic to have some wine...

As for hydration: the story that drinking alcohol dehydrates apparently is false... granted, until a new study "proves" otherwise, at least in the media...

@Raclette, hope the chemo works for you!

Ciao,
Cheese
    10 Stg 4 colon srgry
    12 Xelox/Avast
    05 Liver srgry
    -12 Xelox
    05 Xelox
    08 Iri/Vect
    11 Liver srgry
    01-05 Iri,Vect,Xeloda
    09 CyberKnife
    03-07 Ph I trial