Info/advice about HAI, Sir Spheres and Chemo Embolization?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
crazymotherof8

Info/advice about HAI, Sir Spheres and Chemo Embolization?

Postby crazymotherof8 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:01 pm

I need some help with my research. I am looking for ANY experiences, advice, suggestions, research about any of the following options.
HAI pump, TACE/Chemo Embolization, or Sir Spheres. Matt's oncologist wants to discuss these 3 options at his next appointment. I would like to go in as prepared as possible so we can make a fully informed decision before proceeding. So far I have tried researching TACE and Sir Spheres online but have found conflicting information on their effectiveness and how much time they REALLY add to a persons life. If anyone has suggestions on research sites that are more trustworthy than others I would appreciate that information as well. Also suggestions on questions to ask the oncologist, potential surgeon, interventional radiologist, etc. would be great as well.

Matt has two large and many small liver tumors on both lobes but has been responding well to Folfox and now Xelox with Avastin. There are two spots on the lungs as well but oncologist believes we can move forward with one of the above options.

Thank you!
Niki
DH Matt - 49 - father to 8
Dx Mar11 w/Mets to liver, lungs Folfox + Avastin Mar 11 - Jul 11
Sept11 Spleen remvd bc low platelets
Oct12 Folfox+Avastin
Mar12 Folfiri+Avastin
Aug12 bone mets; irinotecan+Erbitux
Dec12 chemo failed - trial
passed June 17, 2013

eitter

ACOR or Suzanne Lindley

Postby eitter » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:13 pm

You need to go to the ACOR list serv or get a hold of Suzanne Lindley, in fact Suzanne is a keynote speaker at the Call on Congress this year, she is an expert on Sir Spheres and posts here every once inawhile! But the ACOR list serv run my Kate Murphy is a great place to go and right now at work I do not have the address to find them on the web, anyone here have it?! Gaelen MIGHT know some information on your list too.
Blessings,
Liz DENNIS
Tempe,AZ
DX 05/06 Rectal
6 Weeks radiation with 5FU
LAR 10/06 Stage III
Temp Ileo, reversal failed in 05/07 after 1m in hospital came out with a permanent colostomy
http://www.runlizrun.com

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Re: Info/advice about HAI, Sir Spheres and Chemo Embolizatio

Postby SkiFletch » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:44 pm

Gaelen also has first-hand experience with HAI pump and it worked very well for her. You can find a lot of that info by searching through some of the work done by Dr Kemeny at MSKCC. That should help you narrow things down a bit without reading too much info
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

mom_2_3

Postby mom_2_3 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:38 pm

Niki,

A new video has been posted on MSK at http://www.mskcc.org/videos/treating-liver-metastases-hepatic-arterial-infusion-therapy.

It is a video of Dr. Kemeny explaining results of some studies concerning the HAI therapy. Like many here, I do have an HAI pump which was implanted during my liver resection for the purpose of preventing future liver metastasis. I have had the pump in for almost three years although I have not had chemo in it since November 2009.

I highly recommend my doctor and this treatment protocol. I looked at studies prior to my surgery and everything indicated a more positive outcome using this methodology. I can't count how many people I have met in the waiting room who have had this particular protocol and are doing well many years out from diagnosis, most with no evidence of disease. A number of those individuals had previously unresectable disease and were made operable with the HAI pump. If you have further questions about the treatment, please PM me. I am sure others here will also post with their experience.

All the best,
Amy
CC discovered during c-section (11/4/08)
Diagnosed Stage IV 11/10/08 -- Happy 39th Birthday! 5 bilobar liver mets
02/09: Colectomy, liver resection, HAI pump implanted, 7 of 42 nodes
7 months of FUDR and 5FU ended 11/2/09
10 years NED.

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:59 pm

Forgive me everyone, but how do you bring this up with the oncologist? We meet for next appt in about 2 weeks, and I really want to bring up liver treatment...

From what I've read it can make a considerable and significant difference. Also, she again (it's off and on) has had pain in the liver...I had stupidly hoped that the first FOLFIRI "carpetbombimg" will make a difference already but doc said today - come on - not that fast - and he said just to Percocat, which my wife hates...BUT - it seems to work...

So I was thinking about going to one (or two) "MAJOR UNIVERSITY" hospitals around here for the liver consult, unless oncologist refers...or is it too early? If figured a field trip to see one more guy can't hurt...
DH to WONDERFUL wife (43 yrs old) of 21 years!!!
Dx 12 Jan 2012
Hospital - 13 Jan 2012 - 26 Jan 2012 removed sig colon 8cm tumor/colostomy
3.5cm met to liver
a few 1 to 2 mm mets to lungs
FOLFIRI - Feb 13, 2012 - add Avastin -mid-March 2012

livingbyfaith

Postby livingbyfaith » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:27 pm

yes@discussthis.com message board for sir spheres
Hubby 72 cc
Resctn colon 07 stage 3/11 15 cm liver met CEA 3000+
CPT 11, 12 xelox kras wild gall blddr rem 7-12 & abltn
liver stents bi-mo gilbert lng mets , cpt-11 3-13, 2 hernia surgeries2013 & liver abltn went to heaven 10-24-13

gep

Postby gep » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:27 pm

Suzanne Lindley has stuff on her website, beatlivertumors.org especially about sir spheres. There may be some videos on there. I haven't been on there in a while.
I've been told that Dr. Salem at Northwestern in Chicago does a lot of these procedures. They don't seem to do many if any HAI pumps at NW per what my husband's oncologist has said. I don't know why that is the case.
As for how do you bring it up, you just ask the question, what about liver directed therapy? Would it be appropriate in this case? If not now, when might it be appropriate? That's what I would ask to get the conversation rolling.
Gloria
caregiver to Eli
dx 8/07 3B
7/09 - liver & celiac lym node
1/10 Liver Res & Lym nodes out
7/10 Back - Liver & other lym nodes
12/12 hit chemo wall
1/12 Clin Trial - MEK & AKT inhibitors
3/12 Trial failed/ spheres 4/12
7/30/13 Eli died.

Mona
Facebook Username: maria kucharek

Postby Mona » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:29 am

Niki,
since December 6, I am a new owner of Hai pump. Please PM me if you have specific questions.
Much love,
Maria
At age 46 DX 7/21/10 Stage 4 colon cancer with mets to the liver.
8/10 Folfox 6 tx
11/10 Colon/liver resection 1/29 nodes
12/10 Folfox 6 tx, NED
3/11 chemo done
11/11 recurance liver
12/11 liver resection/Hai pump
01/12-07/12 Fudor/Folfiri

crazymotherof8

Postby crazymotherof8 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:17 pm

Thank you all so much for the information and willingness to let me contact you. I will be sending PM's shortly!

Another question I didn't ask:
How do you go about finding an experienced liver surgeon for the HAI pump or an experienced interventional radiologist for Sir Spheres or TACE?

Niki
DH Matt - 49 - father to 8
Dx Mar11 w/Mets to liver, lungs Folfox + Avastin Mar 11 - Jul 11
Sept11 Spleen remvd bc low platelets
Oct12 Folfox+Avastin
Mar12 Folfiri+Avastin
Aug12 bone mets; irinotecan+Erbitux
Dec12 chemo failed - trial
passed June 17, 2013

Mona
Facebook Username: maria kucharek

Postby Mona » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:37 pm

People from this forum recommended liver surgeon who is working with Dr. K. Oncologist from MSKCC in NY, she is all about Hai Pump. This was easy choice; I knew he is from MSKCC, so he must be good. I really like him, he did great job.
Much love,
Maria
At age 46 DX 7/21/10 Stage 4 colon cancer with mets to the liver.
8/10 Folfox 6 tx
11/10 Colon/liver resection 1/29 nodes
12/10 Folfox 6 tx, NED
3/11 chemo done
11/11 recurance liver
12/11 liver resection/Hai pump
01/12-07/12 Fudor/Folfiri

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”