When Cancer Hits by Britta Aragon

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Gaelen

When Cancer Hits by Britta Aragon

Postby Gaelen » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:04 am

I haven't read this whole book. I got it right before I started the DoD assignment, which was a lot of heavy scientific reading, and haven't had time to get too far. But I have made it through chapter 4, "Emotional Coping," which Aragon outlines in this blog post.

For as much as people cling to the old wives' tale that a "positive attitude" is the key to surviving cancer :roll: , Aragon makes some very strong, persuasive points about how you need way more than the illusion of a "positive attitude" to take care of yourself. She also points out that acknowledging how you really feel, even if it's negative, can be far more effective and healthier in managing your life with cancer.

Her four-part plan for emotional coping includes:
- Guilt Has No Room in Your Survival Plan
She asks "Did you find yourself feeling guilty after your diagnosis? Did you think that maybe if you had only eaten a healthier diet, or exercised more often, or reduced more stress, you wouldn’t have ended up with the disease?" and then recommends that survivors "face the guilt monster, stare it down, and cast it aside."

- Faking Your Emotions Never Works
Aragon brings up all the old standbys: trying to smile "when you least feel like it," family/friend pressure to “be brave and stay positive.” Then she reminds readers that "squashing your emotions is bad for you. Not only do those emotions stay with you, they can actually reduce your body’s ability to fight off the cancer." When Cancer Hits shows ways to "approach negative emotions in a healthy way, so you can more easily return to real positive emotions."

- Tools to Help Accentuate the Positive
Aragon talks not about drugs and pills, but about things like making plans "to make yourself feel good" via things like spending time with friends, massages, movies, music, etc. She goes over "all kinds of ideas for activities that help you process difficult emotions and find your way to feeling even just a little bit better."

- Don’t be Afraid to Seek Help
Aragon takes the idea of support groups, complementary therapies and counseling head-on, and explains why she thinks trying to go cancer alone is not only bad for our health but "dangerous to your recovery. You need support, and not just someone to help clean the house and make the meals. You need someone to talk to, someone who understands, and you need activities that really go to the core of what you’re experiencing."

We hear a lot of cries on this forum for support and help.
This book can help, and this chapter on Emotional Coping might be worth the entire price of admission.
Aragon isn't a shrink. She's a survivor of non-Hodkins Lymphoma, with which she was dx'd at 16.
Be in harmony with your expectations. - Life Out Loud
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
2/11 recurrence R lung, spinal bone mets - chemo, RFA lung mets
4/12 stopped treatment

Guinevere

Re: When Cancer Hits by Britta Aragon

Postby Guinevere » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:34 am

Even though I'm often praised for my "sunny" outlook, I subscribed to many of these things, Gaelen. I've learned that "faking" a smile just makes me feel worse and I'm in a place where I don't feel like I have to be up when I'm not, thank God! I can't tell you how many times I've told a caregiver that I feel like hammered sh** but, in order to put one foot in front of the other, I do look for positive things even if sometimes they're scarce.
Thanks for posting this resource. I think it will help a lot of people if for no other reason that it gives "permission" to feel like crap and say so!
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
APR liver rsct, procto - Jul 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13
Exhausted treatment options - May 14

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:02 pm

I discuss cancer, death and dying with other people in rather matter-of-fact terms, because that's the way I view these topics now. It is what it is, and I try to make the best of it. That really seems to freak people out, because I think they think a person facing death should be all emotional and freaked out themselves. I've gotten used to it. Nobody wants to die, but I like going into it with my eyes open, if I have to do it at all. I still have a pretty good life, I think.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

mm66ny

Postby mm66ny » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:50 pm

This post reminds me of a book I've heard of called the Happiness Project. All the pressure to "be happy" all the time just doesn't square with what really goes on. While it's certainly helpful to have an attitude of letting things roll off your shoulders or to not take things personally (we guys learn this skill by being regularly rejected for dates, dances, movies, kisses, since we're generally expected to make the first move--I remember a girl once told me "men make the moves; women call the shots"--but I digress, severely), I think denying your darker emotions doesn't necessarily make them go away.

It also reminds me of how, because I lost a lot of weight from cancer or cancer treatment--and I needed to lose a lot of weight because I was just plain fat--people would say "you look great." And while it was nice to hear, I always felt like that meant I should be feeling great, too--after all, I looked great. But I felt like shit, and the pressure I would put on myself to feel great because people said I looked great was unnecessary and kind of destructive. It just made me feel worse. And when people would say "you look great" it would also make me feel like they just don't get it. And why would they, right?

I'd be interested in getting a copy of the book you mention.

Michael
Dx RC, T3N1M0, Feb. 2009
LAR, Ileostomy June 2009
12 Folfox tx
Ileostomy takedown Jan. 2010
June 2014 five years NED
Age 48
married w/7 children
Generally irresponsible

beth568

Postby beth568 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:02 pm

Thank you for this.

Just last week, the blogger ChemoBabe talked about wanting an end to the "regime of mandatory positivity for cancer patients," and I found myself thinking, "Yes, yes, yes!"

While I do believe quite strongly that there's a powerful mind/body connection, I've begun to hate the glib advice from people who suggest that thinking positive is the best approach to a difficult diagnosis. I'm struggling right now to put together a blog post of my own about the positive thinking issue.

I need to check out Aragon's book.
Beth
dx @age 42, Jan '11 RC, T2or3NxM0 (stage IIIA/IIIB)
6 wks chemorad Feb - Mar '11
LAR 5/23/11, staged T2N1bM0 (2 of 15 nodes positive)
8 rounds FOLFOX, June-Oct. 2011
clear scans Nov '11, May '12, Nov '12, May '13
http://www.mysemicolon.net

Laurettas

Postby Laurettas » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:55 pm

I have thought for a long time that the requirement to have a positive attitude can put a lot of pressure on everyone. Plus, trying to hide or suppress the "negative" emotions can be downright unhealthy. Yes, if you are down and depressed all the time, that is not good and you should seek help or look for some way to lift the darkness. But, to have a few hours or days periodically in which you are not up and positive I think is realistic and quite healthy. Sounds like a good book and worth purchasing.
DH 58 4/11 st 4 SRC CC
Lymph, peri, lung
4/11 colon res
5-10/11 FLFX, Av, FLFRI, Erb
11/11 5FU Erb
1/12 PET 2.4 Max act.
1/12 Erb
5/12 CT ext. new mets
5/12 Xlri
7/12 bad CT
8/12 5FU solo
8/12 brain met
9/12 stop tx
11/4/12 finished race,at peace

kpjpmom

Postby kpjpmom » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:49 pm

I agree! It was so hard to be upbeat and positive when you felt like CRAP!! People would tell me how good I looked for having "cancer" which would in turn make me feel guilty for not being positive enough. Then the viscious cycle would begin...me down on myself for not being the positive cancer person. Nice to hear others who have gone through treatment and their thoughts on this! Feeling more positive everyday as I move further away from treatment and regaining so much energy and appetite! Blessings to all.

KPJPMOM :D
DX March 2011 stg 3 cc
Kidney cancer May 2011
Folfox 6months (12 rnds)
It's Back! October 2012 colon resection, kidney removed.FOLFIRI/Erbitux starts Jan.2013
Completed FOLFIRI June 2013, Erbitux continues
March 2015 Met to spine. Radiation 15 treatments
Folfri, 5fu dropped after 3x, Erbitux and Iri continued CEA rising. Moved to
Folfox, Xeloda,Avastin until Feb. 2016 oxilap. Neuropathy returns.
Xeloda,Avastin continues.

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:32 pm

BrownBagger wrote:I discuss cancer, death and dying with other people in rather matter-of-fact terms, because that's the way I view these topics now.

Would you agree, BB, that your matter-of-fact approach evolved over time...the longer you've been living with cancer, the more matter-of-fact you've gotten about how you talk about it with others?

I would be lying if I said that, at first - especially the first month or so - there was no emotionality or being freaked out. I fell apart the first couple of people I had to tell. Luckily, they were co-workers and friends, not family. By the time I had to tell my family, I was able to be calm and detached about the diagnosis, matter-of-fact, direct. But it took a couple of days to get there.

I tend to also be pretty direct or "matter-of-fact" when asked about my cancer, and I have pretty much always defused the "but you're ok now, right?" and "how much more chemo?" questions with a soft but direct (and honest) answer. I was also pretty likely, especially with co-workers and dog friends, to make a joke about my prognosis, especially when it was at its worst.

My co-workers used to make a big deal about Secret Santa and work group gifts, and when things started going wrong in September of that first year, I joked that at least I wouldn't have to buy Christmas presents. My direct boss - initially a resident of the "relentless positivity" camp - took great ironic joy in the fact that by December, my scans were stable and yes...I had to buy Christmas presents that year. And then he gave me crap about buying Christmas presents again every year after that for five years. ;) But he did pretty quickly come to the realization that if I couldn't laugh about dying, then I would already be dead...and accepted that sometimes, laughing is coping.

I've approached my cancer from the beginning by embracing my emotions - all of them, happy and upset, confident and scared. I tend not to use the words "positive" and "negative" to describe emotions because too many people attach the baggage that positive=happy and negative=sad to those words. To me, "positive" is productive, active; "negative" is stalled, helpless. Neither has anything to do with happy smiley faces, or sad crying eyes. So I can't really use those words and get my meaning across - but Aragon does a pretty good job of off-loading the baggage of those words and turning perceptions about positive and negative away from baggage into something that people can live with.
Be in harmony with your expectations. - Life Out Loud
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
2/11 recurrence R lung, spinal bone mets - chemo, RFA lung mets
4/12 stopped treatment

chessamay

Postby chessamay » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:29 pm

Sounds interesting. I would like to read this. Thank you!
Wife of husband 38yo with
St 2A CC
Laparoscopic LAR Sept.29, 2010
PET clear 1/11;
rigid sigmoid for stricture 2/11
CT clear 6/11
rigid sigmoid for "thought to be stricture" 11/11
CT clear 12/11; colonoscopy 2/12-2 polyps

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:17 am

Gaelen wrote:Would you agree, BB, that your matter-of-fact approach evolved over time...the longer you've been living with cancer, the more matter-of-fact you've gotten about how you talk about it with others?

Absolutely. In some ways, it's learned behavior, and it took more than a few days.

Remember that I was originally dx as Stage 2a, so I believed I had a good chance of a cure for about 15 months. During that time, I interacted with Stage 4 folks like you, Gaelen (and others, not all of them still with us), and was able to see how you handled what seemed to me to be about the worst thing that could happen to a person. Then, of course, I joined the Stage 4 club myself. It happened to me. I felt like a cornered rat. At that point (not to make it sound easy, because it certainly wasn't) I concluded that I could either play the hand I've been dealt, or give up. Fortunately, I had some excellent role models here at the CC, and I learned to cope and function in a way that allows me to live a more or less normal life--all that that entails: the good, the bad & the ugly.

My view of death certainly has evolved as well. It's not the end of the world. Might be the end of my little world, but for everyone else, life continues unabated. My dad died of metastasized cancer (prostate) last October, and a few years ago that would have devastated me. But you know, he lived a good life and died with no regrets at 79. Not a bad run. But now he's gone, and the rest of us have to continue living our lives. He wouldn't want his death to ruin our lives. I don't want my death to ruin the lives of the people I love. So, I try to present my own situation and mortality in a way that says: "It's OK; I'm at peace with my lot in life, and I hope you can find a way to accept what is, in the final analysis, a natural event. We're all gonna die sooner or later (me, probably sooner)--let's make the best of the time we have left and try not to live in fear or grieve too much when it's over."

I think I'm there. Not sure about anyone else. It's an ongoing project.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

Sleetster

Postby Sleetster » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:19 pm

BrownBagger wrote:"It's OK; I'm at peace with my lot in life, and I hope you can find a way to accept what is, in the final analysis, a natural event. We're all gonna die sooner or later (me, probably sooner)--let's make the best of the time we have left and try not to live in fear or grieve too much when it's over."

I love this. I think it states the reality of the situation and expresses love and hope at the same time. I may have to quote it on Caringbridge. Thanks BB.
David
5/09: Stage 3B
6/09: L hemicolectomy
7/09-12/09: FOLFOX
2/10: CT; NED
2/11: CT; 3 lung spots
3/11: biopsy; lung mets; Stg 4
3/11: PET; liver & abd. muscle mets
3/11-8/11: FOLFIRI
10/11: Liver wedge & abd. tumor exc.
2/12: 6 more rounds FOLFIRI

lauragb

Postby lauragb » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:05 pm

I really appreciate this. I remember when I was first diagnosed how I kept hearing from others how I had to stay positive. Yeah, right....... And then what, blame myself if things don't go well because I couldn't always be positive. I have the gamut of moods and accept them all. I think I'm doing great for someone in my situation including the days of crying when I came home after my surgery or days when I'm down because I just feel crappy. I accept my feelings and know they are variable. I also know I have a lot to be thankful for at this moment in time and others are struggling with more than I am so I do try to keep any pity parties short.

People are kind and tell me how good I look (really? lol) and that I'm an inspiration (here's that word again). It's just that thing of accepting what has to be accepted and putting one foot in front of the other. People do mean well and I try to view comments and questions as support. I have been pretty up front about my treatments but try not to scare or gross out anyone with TMI. We all know rectal cancer treatment narratives aren't pretty.

Anyway, just wanted to add my two cents worth. Thanks again for the resource, sounds like a good one. Laura
RC 3B 7/2011 @ 53
Chemoradiation 5 weeks 8/11
LAR-Hysterect-temp ileo
pCR, 0/23 nodes
Folfox 1/12, Xeloda 2/12 to 5/12
Reversal 5/12
SBO,lysis of adhesions 12/12
NED 11/12, 11/13, 6/16

Guinevere

Postby Guinevere » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:25 am

mm66ny wrote:...It also reminds me of how, because I lost a lot of weight from cancer or cancer treatment--and I needed to lose a lot of weight because I was just plain fat--people would say "you look great." And while it was nice to hear, I always felt like that meant I should be feeling great, too--after all, I looked great. But I felt like shit, and the pressure I would put on myself to feel great because people said I looked great was unnecessary and kind of destructive. It just made me feel worse. And when people would say "you look great" it would also make me feel like they just don't get it. And why would they, right?...

Michael

That happens to me too, Michael. I just either say, "Thank you and I'm feeling as well as can be expected with what's going on" or "You know what Ricardo Montalban always said, 'It's better to look good than to feel good!'" Sometimes, it takes them off-guard but, most of the time, they just laugh along with me. I think they're just trying to say something positive.

Last night, I was able to go to a Valentine's Day party and several people remarked on how good I looked considering (paraphrasing) and I took it as a compliment. Finally, one lady said, "Not only do you look great but you're not jaundiced at all!" That made me realize that most people assume if you have cancer in your liver, you're going to look jaundiced. I just smiled and said, 'Yeah, yellow's not my color" and winked. She smiled and patted me on the back. I started to feel pressure to be up but then realized I didn't have the energy so I was just myself and that seemed to be alright, thank God.

lauragb wrote:People are kind and tell me how good I look (really? lol) and that I'm an inspiration (here's that word again). It's just that thing of accepting what has to be accepted and putting one foot in front of the other. People do mean well and I try to view comments and questions as support. I have been pretty up front about my treatments but try not to scare or gross out anyone with TMI. We all know rectal cancer treatment narratives aren't pretty.

While I would like my story to help other people get through something tough, there are times when I'm told I'm an inspiration that I just want to scream. Not at them but just to say that it isn't all positive and that I'm not positive all the time. I've accepted what's going on because I have no choice (at least in my mind) and I realize I can only control how I deal with things as they come up. I have a wonderful husband who takes the financial burdens on himself and doesn't weigh me down too much with the particulars. I have a son who's always ready to do whatever I need done and I have a mom and siblings who would and have walked through fire for me. They are my inspiration. They've seen the ups and downs and know I'm not always up but I always have hope that things will get better.
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
APR liver rsct, procto - Jul 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13
Exhausted treatment options - May 14

SaveMyArchie

Postby SaveMyArchie » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:21 pm

Thanks for this, Gaelen. It must be almost a year already that I bought "How to Heal" after reading about it on this forum and I still have ~50 pages to go... I think it's time I wrap up and move on to this book you've shared with us. Concrete action-based advice like this can never be overvalued...
51 @ dx (I'm her son - call me Steve)

8/12: referred for hospice
7/12: significant progression
4/12: Vectibix
11/10: recurrence; XELIRI+Avastin 'forever'
7/10: NED; lingering CIPN
1/10: FOLFOX
12/09 - removed 19cm sigmoid colon/prox rectum; 5/13 nodes

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”