Liver question

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Wendy21

Liver question

Postby Wendy21 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:27 pm

I was dx stage iiia 6 yrs ago. I complete 12rnds of Folfox and avastin plus 18 months of avastin.
Last colonoscopy, scans and bloodworm were late November.
I got a horrible chest cold at Christmas. It was treated with 3 rounds of antibiotics
From my works clinic. I stopped coughing up green goo 2 weeks ago with the last
Zpack, but also started having pain right on or below my right rib cage when
I started the last zpack. Of course, my thoughts went right to my liver
Because it felt more heavy or full at first and really hurt only when I coughed.
Then I decided I must have cracked a rib or pulled. Muscle from coughing, so I waited two weeks.
Friday te pain was worse and actually was hurting even when I was not coughing.
I called my pop and got in. She pushed and pulled and decided it might
Be my liver....but might be so she sent me for bloodwork and rushed the results.
They came ack with both enzymes slightly elevated t 45 and 63 both about 5 pys high.
Of course she said I now need a ct scan and an ultrasound this week. I called my onc to fi d out
What she wanted, but it was 4 on Friday and she did not call back. So it is Saturday.....I am freaking out.
Has anyone else had pain like this or elevated enzymes that turned outto be nothing?
Any words of wisdom or advice? And darn...I was just finally thinking that Ned and I might say together a long time.
Wendy.mom of 6 girls
Dx @42 stage3 2006
Ned since

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Re: Liver question

Postby SkiFletch » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:15 pm

Wendy, this many years since your diagnosis, it's much more likely that you have some tissue damage of either the lungs and/or ribs from all the coughing than it is that you have mets. Us cancer patients can get aches and pains too ;). The US/CT will give you a good idea of what's up in there so please try and relax between now and then. Nothing you do in the next days/week will really matter, so worrying will just diminish your quality of life. It's not worth it ;). Deep breaths and let us know what the scans show
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Postby dianetavegia » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:28 pm

Side effects of Zpaks include liver concerns.
severe or persistent diarrhea; stomach cramps or pain; symptoms of liver problems (eg, yellowing of the skin or eyes; dark urine; pale stools; severe or persistent nause

Sounds like your pain is from pleurisy.

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Pleuritic+chest+pain
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

Wendy21

Postby Wendy21 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:02 pm

Thanks to you both for talking me down from the ledge of worry. I wish my pcp had been more reassuring.ski fletch you are so right thT worry will not help anything'

seva

Postby seva » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:43 pm

What is a zpack?
RC 10/09
Stage IIA
Chemorad 6 weeks, 5fu 24/7
LAR 2/10
Reversal 4/10
Chemo 5fu 2 rounds -1 week on 3 weeks off
ct scans 9/10 , 3/11,9/11, 9/12 NED!!!

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:07 pm

Hi Seva:

It's a 5 day course of azithromycin (sp). It good for upper respiratory infections, but can sure give you gut problems. :wink:
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

Wendy21

Postby Wendy21 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:29 pm

So, it has been a frustrating few days. Of course I called my onc. on Friday at 5 to tell her about the elevated liver enzymes and the nurse took the info and said they would call me back on Monday morning. I ended up calling them Monday and repeating all of the information only to hear "oh...yes....we just got the faxed copies of those labs so we will show the doctor and call you back this afternoon. If course Monday came and went with no call.
I called today (Tuesday) at noon and the nurse said..."oh yes....we have you scheduled for a CT on Thursday at 5 p.m. and an appointment with the doctor Monday at 9 a.m.
Great. Another weekend.......
and of course now I am getting a bit nervous because I have googled liver mets and started thinking ...well why would she see me if there is nothing to worry about, etc.

Guinevere

Postby Guinevere » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:45 am

Wendy,
Stay away from Dr. Google! :wink:
Your onc might want to see you in order to go over the results and tell you why there isn't anything to worry about. She might have a treatment plan in mind, if needed.
Just take a deep breath every time the craziness starts in your mind and then see if you can something that will take your mind off of it for 10...15 minutes or so. Playing with the kids, doing a puzzle, reading something that requires your brain to be engaged (bodice rippers aren't very good for this kind of reading, VOE), watching a comedy, or whatever you feel up to doing. That's the only way I can get through the anxiety when it starts. I hope this helps!
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
APR liver rsct, procto - Jul 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13
Exhausted treatment options - May 14

Wendy21

Postby Wendy21 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:38 am

Thank you!

dianetavegia

Postby dianetavegia » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:13 am

Well there is about ZERO possibility that you went 6 years with perfect blood work and scans and then liver mets grew in 2 1/2 MONTHS. This is all about CYA for the doctors. Hang in there kiddo! I'm really betting those 3 rounds of strong antibiotics messed up your liver enzymes. Did you also take Tylenol? I never, ever take Tylenol because of the damage it can do to your liver! Lots of meds can mess with your liver enzymes!

After 4 years, the chance of a met with colon cancer is about 1%. One study that followed only people (Stage III colon) who DID have recurrences found that 100% happened before year 4. 80% happened at 17 months, + or - 11 months or 6 months to 28 months.

I know it's easy for us to tell you to calm down..... so I'll pray that you can get some great news much sooner than next Monday!

Diane
Last edited by dianetavegia on Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wendy21

Postby Wendy21 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:07 am

diane,
Your steady voice has always been an inspiration to me. You are so right. I know those stats and need to focus on the positive.!

Wendy21

Postby Wendy21 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:47 am

Ct scan was Thursday p.m.
Onc. appointment is Monday at 9 a.m. -- please send positive thoughts.
I'm hoping it is anything other than a recurrance. Pain is still below right ribcase into back and hurts to touch spot on side. Killer pain when coughing or bouncing around. Now it's almost starting to hurt all the time.
My research says possible gallbladder -- that sounds way better than other options I think!

Ivona
Facebook Username: Ivona Bradley

Postby Ivona » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:35 pm

Also don't discount costochondritis...especially if you had a chest cold. I've never even heard of this and it was someone on this board who brought my attention to this condition. It turned out I actually got it once last year after a particularly gruelling cold and laryngitis virus I had.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costochondritis
dx'd Oct '08 (age 48)
T3bN2Mx
9/23 LN's
resection Nov '08
Folfox Jan '09 - March '09
Xeloda March 24/09 - July 6/09

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it's called 'the present'. "

dianetavegia

Postby dianetavegia » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:35 pm

My gall bladder symptoms were awful back pain. The doctor kept telling me it couldn't be my gall bladder because I wasn't sick to my stomach and didn't have a fever. wrong! I had my gall bladder removed as an emergency when I ended up in the ER twice in 6 hours.

Update

Postby Update » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:19 pm

Good news! The CT did not show any signs of cancer.
The onc. came in, looked at the scan, poked around my liver area and said "I think you either have inflammed cartilage in your ribs or gallstones. Follow-up with your PCP. that was it!

So....PCH is out until Wed., but I'm fine with it.

CT scan showed gallstones, kidney stones and nothing else significant...so....back to my PHP with the same ideas I had 3 weeks ago.....

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”