I was thinking about how this forum has affected my life

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
horizon

I was thinking about how this forum has affected my life

Postby horizon » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:03 am

And to think that it all started with a simple Google search.

• When I was newly diagnosed and scared out of my mind getting reassurance from people who knew exactly what I was feeling helped calm me down.
  • The people on this forum talked me into getting a port, which I was initially completely opposed to. Now I'm so incredibly happy that I had it during my chemo experience.
  • When I experienced symptoms no one warned me about, such as first bite pain, I understood what they were (and didn't have to worry) thanks to info on here.
  • When I went to the hospital I knew exactly what to take because of a thread on here.
  • Seeing stories of people that have faced this and went on to live happy lives years later inspires me and gives me hope that that could be the case for me too.

I don't doubt for a second that I would have been worse off without this place. Thank you to everyone who writes helpful posts here. You people are amazing!
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 12 years NED). Is this real life?

Nickmark59
Facebook Username: nickmark59

Re: I was thinking about how this forum has affected my life

Postby Nickmark59 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:40 am

I wish I had known about this group earlier myself while in early treatment I had so many questions still have questions and get some great answers and assurances. Lots of really good people on here. :D

I have told many friends and others i meet with CRC about this group while many lurk not wishing to post and I understand why they may not want to .
This is really a good thing we have here. Good bad or ugly
CRC- IV 7-th yr Survivor -5 rectal tumors 1 bleeding with mets to liver
Rad. 36 treat.
with 6 Chemo 2-Ox.- 4 Fol.
surgery 15 hrs to resect colon and liver- Feb 08
follow up 6 chemo Folfox
www.darkinvestigations.blogspot.com

Granny

Postby Granny » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:02 am

I couldn't agree more!
There are wonderful people here for support and it's truly been a God send for me. It's almost like not being with family if I have to stay away for some reason.
God Bless
Granny

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:27 am

I didn't find this site until just before my reversal, and it certainly helped me in so many ways from that day forward. And I've made a lot of new, excellent friends.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

Jimswife

Postby Jimswife » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:30 am

Same here , I visit almost daily , sometimes hesitant to post but overall when I have posted most of the comments have been supportive and many member here are so knowledgeable , I'm new to all this so not as clued up as some of the veterans , I've learned a lot through this group and general research from the Internet . I hope to be able to "give back" to other sufferers when this awful phase in our lives is hopefully over to offer hope advice and encouragement to the New members .
Victoria , Wife to Jim age 43 dx oct 2011
Stage 3 cc with 2 out of 21 positive lymph nodes
Folfox starts nov 11-may 12
All scans and bloods since surgery confirm no evidence of disease
Hoping to stay ned forever .... Fingers crossed !!!!!!!

Guinevere

Postby Guinevere » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:35 am

I was well into my cancer/ostomy journey when someone on the ostomy board suggested I check out this forum because I had so many questions about chemo. Boy! What a godsend this place has been and still is for me!! Between good solid advice, the humor and the chance to help others, I'm so grateful I was steered here. Like I said on the ostomy board, you guys have helped save my sanity and remind me just how blessed I am and have been despite all the heart trouble, cancer and ostomy. Thank you for starting this thread. I gives me a chance to thank everyone.
God bless ~
Gwen
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
APR liver rsct, procto - Jul 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13
Exhausted treatment options - May 14

shopgirl
Facebook Username: kathy houk (katharyn Houk)

Postby shopgirl » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:55 am

Just recently found this forum....and I must admit, I am more of a "lurker" right now, than a poster! Just had my surgery last week to remove my cancerous colon mass....now I am in the recovery stage BEFORE starting chemo. All of the posts have helped prepare me...and calm my nerves....and made me cry.....and made me laugh!! I am so glad I googled "colon cancer forum" and found this group!
1/12/12 colonoscopy revealing 6cm mass in sigmoid colon
1/24/12 lap colectomy. 1/27 nodes positive
2/8/12 Port placed
2/21/12 FOLFOX 1st treatment

Let choice whisper in your ear and love murmur in your heart. Be ready. Here comes life. ~Maya Angelou

horizon

Postby horizon » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:07 am

shopgirl wrote:Just recently found this forum....and I must admit, I am more of a "lurker" right now, than a poster! Just had my surgery last week to remove my cancerous colon mass....now I am in the recovery stage BEFORE starting chemo. All of the posts have helped prepare me...and calm my nerves....and made me cry.....and made me laugh!! I am so glad I googled "colon cancer forum" and found this group!

Oh lord. How could I forget that? I was terrified by the thought of chemo after I had my consultation with my oncologist. Facing the list of possible symptoms he showed me for six months just seemed like an insurmountable task. Again, this place helped me.

BTW, you and I have a *LOT* in common in looking at your signature. You can make it through the chemo. The best advice I got was to just focusing on getting through the next few days and not focus on how many of those days are ahead of you.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 12 years NED). Is this real life?

Guinevere

Postby Guinevere » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:21 am

horizon wrote:...BTW, you and I have a *LOT* in common in looking at your signature. You can make it through the chemo. The best advice I got was to just focusing on getting through the next few days and not focus on how many of those days are ahead of you.

Very good advice. It's just too big to gulp all at once...it's small bites or small steps and the next right thing. Otherwise, it's so overwhelming that it can paralyze ya.
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13

live2jett
Facebook Username: debbie jett

Postby live2jett » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:26 am

Horizon...you are so right...this place is a true gift...the best part is meeting amazing souls!! Shopgirl glad you are a poster and not a lurker now:) wishing you a smooth chemo journey!!
DX 10-21-08 Advanced stage IIIC T3 N2 M0
10/20 nodes pos.
Colon resect surgery 11-03-08
chemo 12-03-08 Folfox4 3 rounds
Xeloda 5 rounds(due to leucovorin shortage/severe reaction with oxi)
Carpe Diem NED Update 2014

Guinevere

Postby Guinevere » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:30 am

live2jett, your avi makes me smile every time I see it. 8)
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13

pollo65
Facebook Username: pollo2

Postby pollo65 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:41 am

Many in my biological family are clueless about what I am going through, say some of the darndest things. At the point when I feel like nobody understands I turn to my family here at Colon Talk and I always feel heard and understood. Sometimes things get a little dysfunctional here but thats family. I believe this forum has saved my life.
pollo 65
CC 1/6/09
r. hemi-colectomy 1/7/09
32Ln biopsied, 28 positive
met to aorta
chemo 12 rounds
done 9/09 3 scans clear
1/11 1 met to aorta
micro cluster to peritoneum
4/11 / 9/11 scan clear
4/12 scan clear
10/12 scan clear
Iri+avastin
chemo break

shopgirl
Facebook Username: kathy houk (katharyn Houk)

Postby shopgirl » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:14 am

Funny you say all of that Pollo! I think I started googling colon cancer forums.....for my own escape! My family is so wonderful and supportive...but I worry about them more than i worry about myself! I feel like if I voice any concerns to them...they worry and worry. I needed a place to look for advice...make some great friends....and not feel so abnormal!! A part of me wants to show them this forum.....but that other part of me...wants to keep it all to myself :)
1/12/12 colonoscopy revealing 6cm mass in sigmoid colon
1/24/12 lap colectomy. 1/27 nodes positive
2/8/12 Port placed
2/21/12 FOLFOX 1st treatment

Let choice whisper in your ear and love murmur in your heart. Be ready. Here comes life. ~Maya Angelou

simon031003

Postby simon031003 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:20 pm

This forum has given me the knowledge to speak to the onc with the education I need. He can really tell that I know what is being said, and is more forth coming about what is going on. This forum has been a wonderful place to get advice, vent, and even share humor.
Michelle wife of Esteban
T3N1M0 12/31/10
Folfox 2/22/11
9/19/2011 confirmed cancerous lymph nodes via biopsy; started FOLFIRI with Avastian turned into FOLFIRI with Ebritux now FOLFIRI w Vectibux 12/12 mets to liver and pancreas
2/17/13 resting in Heaven

Jen

Postby Jen » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:50 pm

Wow the amount of things I now know about the colon, rectum and cancer! But more importantly the things I now know about how to "get my big girl panties on and deal with it"! :D

Thanks CC
2008 March 37th Bday DX :( T3N2M0
3C Rectal Cancer, 5cm tumor, 4/33 nodes positive
28 tx IMRT Radiation, 12 tx Folfox, 1 month Xeloda
5 years NED 3/14/2013!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”