How long was yours?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Jen

Re: How long was yours?

Postby Jen » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:10 pm

I had a 5cm tumor located 10cm up at the rectosigmoid junction - classified and treated as rectal cancer- since they were dealing with a large tumor likely advanced cancer they took 18inches and got out 33 nodes with a LAR laproscopic mesorectal excision. 4 of those 33 nodes were cancerous. I have noticed on here larger node quantities taken over the past 4 years (I was impressed with 50 but then I've now been seeing higher qtys) I think when they know they are dealing with more advanced disease, they are taking a lot more to establish the important ratio of qty of nodes v.s. those affected - and some people have a lot more nodes in some places than others I was told by my docs.
2008 March 37th Bday DX :( T3N2M0
3C Rectal Cancer, 5cm tumor, 4/33 nodes positive
28 tx IMRT Radiation, 12 tx Folfox, 1 month Xeloda
5 years NED 3/14/2013!

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Postby dianetavegia » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:53 pm

I read that survival rates increase when more than 12 nodes are removed during 'curative' surgery. LN's are more numerous (as is blood supply) closer to the rectum.

A study in the September 14 issue of JAMA reported: Patients having 12 or more lymph nodes removed and examined experienced significantly lower relative hazard of 5-year death compared with those with fewer nodes evaluated.
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

guest321

Postby guest321 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:02 pm

My husband's tumor was 2cm x 3cm and in the sigmoid. He had 15cm of his colon removed and a total of 29 LN removed...8 were positive.
Hsbd dx @ 37 IIIC CC 8/29LN
HNPCC Neg
sig colec 4/09-Finished 12 of Folfox 12/09
CT 5/12 NED

1oaks

Postby 1oaks » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:11 am

dianetavegia wrote:I read that survival rates increase when more than 12 nodes are removed during 'curative' surgery. LN's are more numerous (as is blood supply) closer to the rectum.

A study in the September 14 issue of JAMA reported: Patients having 12 or more lymph nodes removed and examined experienced significantly lower relative hazard of 5-year death compared with those with fewer nodes evaluated.

Yes, I have read similar articles which worries me. I have also read in what they feel is stage 1 they seem to take less nodes. I have read articles that say there is significantly more risk and ones that say there is a small percentage more risk. I have no idea why they took so few. Surgeon did not mention it to me but I had asked for a copy of the pathology report. Local hospital oncology head nurse said that generally they test(different hospital- surgery done at larger more experienced hospital) all they can find and she did not seem concerned about smaller # of nodes. I don't think my tumor had progressed very far into the colon wall, perhaps the submucosa, but that is not a determing factor either for spread. Really not much I can do about this now but try to monitor with CEA tests and scans. I guess even if they checked 20 nodes the next one might have been bad. I wonder how often a distant node is found to be bad versus close to the tumor. Havent seen any studies on this.

Peabody5422
Facebook Username: debbie.whitaker

Postby Peabody5422 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:13 pm

I do not know how much they removed BUT when the path came back I had 1 node involved pretty close to the margin. Apparently the doctor thought it had not spread to the nodes so he did not take alot. THEN they found the node involved. Right now looking back, I wished that would have taken more so I would have a bigger area between the clear margins and the nodes. Your right, it's the fear that it is still there. I am going thru chem and radiation now and before surgery it was - take it out and it's probably OK. Then it was, "we will have to do radiation but no chem", now it's "we are going to do chemo also". All these changes make me very fearful. It is the unknown I am afraid of and my family is totally confused about how sick I am. I just smile and say I'm ok as I burn and run to the "facility".

I think of this a going into combat. Our soldiers do it every day so why can't I find a little more courage.

Peabody
T1 N1c MX
Surgery 12/21/11
DX: RC 11/11 T1 N1c MX
Surgery: LAR 12/23/11
Rad & Xeloda: 1/12 - 4/12
Clean CT: 4/12
Reoccur: Lymp 4/14 4 new locations. 2 Aortic, 2 locations Rectum
Chemo to start: 6/14, OXI, Advastin, 5FU
10/14: One tumor left - on Avastin only
Surgeries: 4/15, 7/15 and 8/15 :last tumor w/Illeostomy then Ostomy
NED by 7/15 Surgery

1oaks

Postby 1oaks » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:39 pm

Peabody5422 wrote:I do not know how much they removed BUT when the path came back I had 1 node involved pretty close to the margin. Apparently the doctor thought it had not spread to the nodes so he did not take alot. THEN they found the node involved. Right now looking back, I wished that would have taken more so I would have a bigger area between the clear margins and the nodes. Your right, it's the fear that it is still there. I am going thru chem and radiation now and before surgery it was - take it out and it's probably OK. Then it was, "we will have to do radiation but no chem", now it's "we are going to do chemo also". All these changes make me very fearful. It is the unknown I am afraid of and my family is totally confused about how sick I am. I just smile and say I'm ok as I burn and run to the "facility".

I think of this a going into combat. Our soldiers do it every day so why can't I find a little more courage.

Peabody
T1 N1c MX
Surgery 12/21/11

yes, I know what you are saying. We trust in the surgeons but they can't see microscopically and I am sure try to do their best. Pathologists are human also and they make mistakes or miss things also. In my case if there were more nodes taken and all negative I would feel a little better. The study results for these situations are all over the place. But even if there were more taken there is no guarentee the next node might have been the bad one so I am on the wait, see & monitor path.
I may go see the local oncologist to get an opinion.

I think being in battle would be easier maybe. At least you have a chance of seeing the enemy. With this disease the enemy could be increasing their ranks dramatically as we speak and taking over countries(our various organs) and we have no idea they are there until we have to surrender. Mentally, for me, it just never goes away.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”