Back from my cancer break from life and the boards

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Kathryn in MN
Facebook Username: Kathryn Finn-Blume

Back from my cancer break from life and the boards

Postby Kathryn in MN » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:12 pm

OK - I always write long posts, and this one will be no exception. If you are a stage IV CRC patient, please stick it out and read through to the end. (If you have port troubles you may want to read further also.) For the rest of you, if you are bored to tears, you can quit early! ;)

After over 2 years of chemo, I just couldn't deal with it anymore. I was really run down. I pushed for SBRT, but one of my 4 tumors disqualified me. I was able to do daily radiation. So after 2 months of daily radiation, I got a break from all treatments. My CEA raised slightly during radiation, but started dropping a little by the time it finished. It was 5.7 at the end of radation. It was expected to be elevated due to the radiation. I couldn't have a scan for at least 6 weeks after finishing, or they would likely get a false positive.

So I took 7 weeks off! I went to my island in Mexico with my husband for 10 days as soon as I finished. I regained a lot of strength while there. We came home for the holidays, and I had a treatment free holiday season after having really rough ones the last two years. Then I took off backpacking Mexico with my daughters for 3 weeks. I took full advantage of my treatment break and got out and LIVED! I can't begin to explain how wonderful those 7 weeks were!

Last week I had my labs and CT scan. I normally have PET/CT, but even 7 weeks out a PET can give false positives, so I just had a CT. Two different nurses could not get my port to work for the CT. They had a lot of resistance, and I had a lot of pain, so they didn't think the needle placement was correct, and thought the port had twisted. My labs came back with my CEA dropping to 5. That is still higher than normal for me when I have no cancer, but it is dropping, so that is considered stable. My CT came back clear! The only large spot was one of the tumors just treated with radiation. But most likely it is scar tissue causing it to be a bit bigger than "normal" lymph nodes. It is only 1cm so we are not worried and assume it is scar tissue. So my treatment break is prolonged! Right now I am NED!

There is always a "but" when it comes to me. I tried to have the chemo nurses flush my port, but two of them had the same problems the CT nurses had. One noticed that my chest was very puffy around my collarbone too. I was sent for a dye study. I had a big hole in the catheter. The pain has been from the saline and/or dye being forced into my chest tissue. I had complained to my oncologist about this pain towards the end of my chemo and he thought it was scar tissue from port placement or something else not to worry about. We had trouble getting blood return from my port and it couldn't be used for labs. But we could get a tiny bit of return - enough to keep using it. I noticed the first time I had to get my port flushed that I felt a popping sensation and then some pain, which subsided over time. And we could only get a drop of blood return. The same thing happened the next time. But now it was much worse giving a lot of resistance to anything going in, and no blood return. I think I had a tiny hole quite a while ago, and it just got bigger and bigger. When I was sent to the cath lab for the dye study the pain was awful. After bing pushed on and poked multiple times two days apart, and having many 1/2 vials of saline forced into my chest, and then having the dye forced in, it was miserable. They said the hole was large and the port needed to come out within the next week. They were worried it could deteriorate further and cause more trouble. So yesterday I got my port out.

This was my 3rd port and I intended on keeping this one a long time. I've had a lot of trouble with ports - first one going in got infected - second one coming out got infected - third one going in punctured my lung. Now the 3rd one had to come out because of a hole. I'm jinxed when it comes to ports. BUT the good news is I do not need a port right now! WOOOHOOOO! If new tumors pop up, I will first push for radiation or surgery. Chemo is a last resort for me because I really don't tolerate it well. If I need chemo again, I'll get a new port then.

For anyone told they are on chemo for life (I was), or they can't have surgery or radation, please remember that only applies to that moment in time. Things can change. Be an advocate for yourself! Even though I have a highly respected oncologist, his thing is chemo. Chemo was keeping my cancer under control, so we continued with it. When I first had to return to chemo after a short break, I had tumors that were in an area that disqualified me from surgery or radiation. A second opinion from the Duke Tumor Board said, chemo only - the same as my oncologist said. I was told I would be on chemo for life, and not to expect to ever be fully cancer free. With multiple distant nodes involved, cancer was circulating in my entire body. I was the one that had enough and pushed for something different. Once presented with my ideas, my oncologist agreed that it was worth a shot. I had stubborn tumors that kept shrinking with chemo, but poppedright back up again when chemo was stopped. Now they have been taken out by radiation! Please don't give up, and be an advocate for yourself. Educate yourself on all options. Get a second opinion if you aren't comfortable with your treatment plan. Remember to reassess your plan once in a while.

I don't expect to be cured, but I'll take any period of NED I can get, with the wonderful breaks from treatment to LIVE and have quality of life again!
CRC AUG09 Age 47
Sig Res T4a N2a Mx, KRAS mut codon13
Mets bones & nodes
FOLFOX, FOLFIRI, Avastin, Radiation
Irinotecan, Zaltrap & STAR RFA
APR13 pleurisy & ascites - more chemo & draining
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kathrynblume

eitter

Re: Back from my cancer break from life and the boards

Postby eitter » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:21 pm

WOW Thank You for the UPDATE! And some time off and relaxation does wonders!!!!

I am so happy for you! And I sure do hope you can get to DC, please read my response in that thread about hotels!
Blessings,
Liz DENNIS
Tempe,AZ
DX 05/06 Rectal
6 Weeks radiation with 5FU
LAR 10/06 Stage III
Temp Ileo, reversal failed in 05/07 after 1m in hospital came out with a permanent colostomy
http://www.runlizrun.com

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:22 pm

Hey Kathryn, it's so great to hear from you. I've been wondering about you in recent weeks, but didn't really want to start one of those, "Has anyone heard from Kathryn?" threads. Heart just wasn't into getting bad news, if you know what I mean (and I'm sure you do).

Yes, LIVE. I'd call that quality time, and it seems to have done you good, in more ways than one.

Thanks so much for dropping in and filling us in on your situation. It's great to see you on the board again.

Hey, this weather keeps up, we'll be biking again. Actually, I rode 23 miles yesterday. Felt good!
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:24 pm

This is amazing Kathryn - WOW!!!! And you're right, your stories always do have a "but" in them - I'm so sorry you had to go through so much pain just to figure out there's a hole in the port. I'm on port #3 myself; different circumstances, but painful nonetheless.

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. I'm on the "chemo for life" plan as well. BUT (my 'but'); I also know that this is my reality for TODAY; we just never know what tomorrow will bring. It does cause me to live for today, but honestly, I've always lived my life that way. Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today as they say.

I know that when my time does come I'll have mixed emotions. I'll be grateful that I've had such a rich and fulfilling life, but I'll also want just a little more time - there is always something more I want to do/accomplish. So glad that YOU have more time to continue to live your life!
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

adina91
Facebook Username: Adina Jewett

Postby adina91 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:50 pm

WOW! Welcome back! I was wondering how you were doing. What a fantastic way to cap off what sounds like a much needed and enjoyed 7 weeks off. Congrats to you!
Adina 42 yo, mom of 2 sons (5,9)
11/2009 - DX-2B CC-Sigmoid resect/colostomy
Lynch Synd MSH2
1/2010 - FLOX chemo
5/2010 - Subtotal colectomy/hyster/ileostomy
Stage 3A - 1/42 LN +
8/2010 - Chemo done
10/18/2010 - ileostomy takedown
2010 - 2015 - NED
5/1/15 - "suspicious" area in liver on CT
5/14/15 - follow up PET says no metastatic disease
6/19/15 - MRI - NED!

Ashlee H.

Postby Ashlee H. » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:55 pm

Kathryn - Major Happy Dance time!!!! I'm am so incredibly thrilled for you. I sure hope I can follow in your footsteps. Sorry about the port, but maybe that is just God's funny way of telling you that you just don't need it anymore. Welcome back. We've missed you around here!!
-Ashlee
Stage IV w/liver met dx 7-1-09
KRAS Mutant
Member of the HIPECKERS (2011) and OLYMPHIANS (2012)
2/14 - standard chemo has stopped working
3/14 - Stivarga
LIVE LIFE!

Rick7

Postby Rick7 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:56 pm

Kathryn,
That is great news and an inspiring story.
I am very happy for you.

Rick
CC DX 1-7-09 at age 40 - Stage IV, T4-N1-M1
Surgery 1-16-09 - Folfox6 Feb-Aug 2009
Clear scans - PET/CT 9-09, CT 3-10, CT 9-10
Head MRI 3-11, CT 9-11
Head CT 2-12, PET/CT 9-12

juliej

Postby juliej » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:14 pm

Mexico, sunshine, backpacking!!! That sounds so wonderful! I can imagine lying on a hot, sandy beach, working on my tan.... "Otra margarita por favor, señor!"

I admire the way you take control of your treatment, making sure it doesn't interfere with enjoying your life to the fullest. Thanks for the update. And giving me something to dream about.
Stage IVb, liver/lung mets 8/4/2010
Xelox+Avastin 8/18/10 to 10/21/2011
LAR, liver resec, HAI pump 11/2011
Adjuvant Irinotecan + FUDR
Double lung surgery + ileo reversal 2/2012
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS rt. lung 12/2012 - benign granuloma!
VATS left lung 11/2013
NED 11/22/13 to 12/18/2019, CEA<1

ams5796

Postby ams5796 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:30 pm

Inspiring!!! Welcome back, as you can tell we've all missed you. That post was just what I needed...some inspiration. I love how you take control of your treatment. So happy for you that you're NED!

Ann
Stage 3C (or 4?) Rectal Cancer 01/07
2/10 lung mets
3/11 VATS
6/11 VATS
7/13 lung met
2/14 SBRT
NED 8/14
5/17 scan and MRI found treated spine met

pollo65
Facebook Username: pollo2

Postby pollo65 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:36 pm

Kathryn,
You are my hero, I am sooo glad that you have the "chonies" to push for something besides chemo. Now if I can just (pardon the vernacular) grow some and push my onc to have me try something "different." So glad you had a good break and felt closer to normal than usual. I am beginning to have port problems also and will pay much more attention next infusion. It was great to read your post.
pollo 65
CC 1/6/09
r. hemi-colectomy 1/7/09
32Ln biopsied, 28 positive
met to aorta
chemo 12 rounds
done 9/09 3 scans clear
1/11 1 met to aorta
micro cluster to peritoneum
4/11 / 9/11 scan clear
4/12 scan clear
10/12 scan clear
Iri+avastin
chemo break

Laurettas

Postby Laurettas » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:24 pm

As the wife of an Olymphian, I am glad to hear about this alternative to chemo for lymph treatment. Thanks so much for the update and the new option to look into!
DH 58 4/11 st 4 SRC CC
Lymph, peri, lung
4/11 colon res
5-10/11 FLFX, Av, FLFRI, Erb
11/11 5FU Erb
1/12 PET 2.4 Max act.
1/12 Erb
5/12 CT ext. new mets
5/12 Xlri
7/12 bad CT
8/12 5FU solo
8/12 brain met
9/12 stop tx
11/4/12 finished race,at peace

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:37 pm

Kathryn in MN wrote:Please don't give up, and be an advocate for yourself. Educate yourself on all options. Get a second opinion if you aren't comfortable with your treatment plan. Remember to reassess your plan once in a while.

Great news from you Kathryn, continued success following your own advice.
I think that should be the motto of this forum ?...oh yeah...and Live !

Many Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

SoConfused

Postby SoConfused » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:43 pm

congrats on NED. that's great news.
Stage IV CC

Russian27

Postby Russian27 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:41 pm

Kathryn thank you for the great news and congratulations ! I had problems with both of my ports. First one cracked and leaked chemo under my skin. I had a huge chemical burn. Second just stopped working. I had also a picc line that got infected so I understand your pain.
Dx at 39(12/2008), Stage IV, omentum mets,
0/16 lymph nodes positive,
right colectomy 1/2009,
FOLFOX + avastin 2/2009-7/2009
Thank You Colonclub! 2015

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Postby SkiFletch » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:46 am

That's really great news Kathryn, so glad to hear from you and that you're doing well :). I too was beginning to wonder how you were. I figured you'd be gallivanting around in Mexico :D
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”