Bone Marrow Aspiration

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
hdmatson
Facebook Username: hdmatson

Bone Marrow Aspiration

Postby hdmatson » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:27 pm

Stage III-Has anyone had to have bone marrow test after they've completed treatment because their WBC is low? I've done so well with my treatments except for the reaction to the oxalyplatin which was discontinued after my 5th treatment. My oncologist says he wants to do a bone marrow test a month after I'm done with my treatment. Any one else experienced this? I thought the chemo wreaked havoc on your blood cells anyway, white and red. I can't understand why he thinks I need a bone marrow aspiration.

dasspears

Re: Bone Marrow Aspiration

Postby dasspears » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:06 pm

Yes, I have. I was Stage I anal cancer but the radiation and chemo really affected my WBC level. They will come up some and then go down but have never come back to the level they were before treatment. I'm on year 4 of NED and my onc thinks that this may be a my new normal. He mentioned doing another aspiration in 2012 before releasing me - it will depend upon my blood work.

hdmatson

Postby hdmatson » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:18 pm

Stage III CC-Thank you. That puts me at ease a little bit because, everyone is amazed at how well I'm doing and this is the only thing they can find so far. I feel like it's almost like they can't find anything so they need to look for something. I know it's better safe than sorry, and maybe this is my new normal too, but it's stressful to have to wait until treatment is done to find out if there may be something else wrong. Congrats on 4 years, BTW.

dasspears

Postby dasspears » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:01 am

Thank you! There is a lady on another cancer site who was Stage III rectal cancer and she also has low WBC and has for a couple of years now. Her onc said the same thing - probably a new normal for her. The radiation does a lot of damage to that area and even now, I will occasionally have hip pain if I stand for too long or walk too much but it's treatable with Tylenol so it's all good in my opinion!! I hope you continue to improve!!! :)

jens22
Facebook Username: jspirio

Postby jens22 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:24 am

I never heard of that. It took almost 9 months to get my WBC back to normal and they still run on the lower side. I would let them folllow you labs every 3 months as per the protocols and see what happens first.
Colonoscopy 3/10 for ? hemmorrhoid.
Diag Colon Cancer 3 days later
Colon Ressection 3/30/10
Stage 3B 5/14 Nodes positive.
Power Port and 7 months of Chemo
Port removed 11/11
8 negative Cat Scans..... 10 years cancer free and Discharged from Sloane Kett!!
Diag age 47 , now 57 Mom of 3 boys.

pstolarski
Facebook Username: Paul.stolarski

Postby pstolarski » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:39 pm

I'm 2+ years post chemo and my WBC has never been that good. I hover in the upper 3s and sometimes I bounce up to the low 4s but never any better than that. My onc has never been that concerned. I can't tell that it has had any negative effect on me so if she's not worried, I'm not going to worry.

My question would be what value do you gain from the test? Also, what effect does low WBC have on you (us)? For me it does not have any impact and knowing my bone marrow is not functioning correctly probably due to chemo is just one more thing to worry about. Frankly, I'm glad my onc has never suggested that test as I don't think I would do it.

Just my opinion.
Colon Cancer - DX 5/7/09 Age 42 - Right Hemicolectomy
DX: Stage IIA - T3N0M0 0/31 lymphnodes, poorly diff adenocarcinoma
Genetics testing: Negative
Started Folfox 7/22/09
Finish Folfox 12/24/09 8 rounds of Oxi

Lee

Postby Lee » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:52 pm

I'm stage III also, 7 years out from treatment. My blood works was seriously out of wack following my chemo treatment but did return to normal after several months. While my Onc never said anything about a bone marrow aspiration, she did tell me when I finished radiation and chemo to "always" assume my immune system is compromised. Just because it is fine now does not mean it will always be that way. I got a serious sinus infection this past year and when I finally saw the Dr and told me my systems (felt like it was clearing then would get worse, after the 3 round of this, I make the appt), he also responsed "your immune must be compromised somehow".

Other than that all is fine, but I do live with ache and pain in my hip area.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

hdmatson

Postby hdmatson » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:00 pm

I'm considering not doing it. I will ask more questions at my next visit. My wife freaked out when I told her because she said that's a pretty serious test to just "take a look".

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”