What would you do?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
mikeinmd

What would you do?

Postby mikeinmd » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:45 am

(UPDATE: Since the date I made this thread I have decided to get a colonoscopy. You can read about it here: http://www.colonclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=336 )

Hi all,

About six months ago I had rectal bleeding six days in a row so shortly thereafter I set up an appointment with a gastroenterologist. I discussed my symptoms with him and he said he was 99% sure it was just hemorrhoids. He gave me a prescription for some suppositories and a kit to check for blood in my stool. I completed the kit and mailed it in. The results came back negative. The bleeding stopped shortly after I saw the doctor but two weeks later it happened 2 days in a row. Two weeks after that it happened again but for only 1 day. Since then I have not had anymore rectal bleeding.

My question is: do you think I should get a sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy? The stories on this website are freaking me out. Is there still a possibility that I have colon cancer? I'm a total worry wart by nature when it comes to medical things so I'm thinking...gee, is colon cancer growing in me right now?

Should I not worry about it since the test results were negative for blood in the stool or is there still a legitimate reason to worry?
Last edited by mikeinmd on Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:34 am

First of all, Welcome to the Colon Club!!! I would sure have a Colonoscopy!!! My doctor was 99% sure all I had was internal hemorrhoids too, but thankfully, he scheduled a Colonoscopy anyway just to make sure!! Well, I ended up with Stage IIIa Colon Cancer with surgery 2 days later removing about 7 inches of my colon. I went through the 6 months of Chemo and have been cancer free now since Jan. of 2005!! Thank heavens I caught it relatively early. Don't trust what the doctor says!! Go have a Colonoscopy to be sure! You may not have Cancer at all, but it is better to be safe isn't it?? Be PROACTIVE!!! It could just be some polyps too which will be removed so no need to get all worried, just go have it done. No harm is done if there is nothing wrong when you have the colonoscopy either. At least you will have a baseline as well!!! :D Everyone here on the Colon Club are wonderful people and here to help and support. Come back often and chat with others here!!

Peg

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:52 am

Peg,

Thank you for so quickly responding to my post. To be honest the primary reason I haven't gotten a sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy is because I'm worried about the cost. I have an individual medical insurance plan. It's not through an employer and I'm worried that it's going to cost a bundle to get a colonoscopy. I read elsewhere that someone was charged $2,000 for just a sigmoidoscopy. I usually end up paying a large percentage of the cost of any medical treatment because my insurance plan sucks.

witchydlm

get tested

Postby witchydlm » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:15 am

I took 21 stool samples except for the last one that was done by a gas...the clinic said they were normal not cancer free just normal.
blood and goo are not normal not safe to let go. Good luck and god bless
debbie
one day at a time

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:06 pm

All I can say to the insurance thing is that it would be better to catch this early IF it is cancer and just have to pay the cost of the Colonoscopy than wait and have it turn into Cancer and have to pay surgery and Chemo costs as well!! Don't you think? Isn't your life worth paying for the Colonoscopy? I am sure they would let you do a payment plan or maybe someone here on the Colon Club could give you some advise as where to go for help! Don't let the insurance thing stop you from having the Colonoscopy!! Yes I said Colonoscopy not the sigmoidoscopy because you get better and more accurate results from the colonoscopy. They could do the Sig on you then decide they better do the colonoscopy anyway then you would have 2 procedures to worry about paying for instead of one. Just something for you to think about. You have to do what is best for you.

Peg

Edward
Facebook Username: CoalRegionVoice

Colonscopy

Postby Edward » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:11 pm

Hi Mike,

I assume your in Maryland. They have mandatory colon cancer screening laws in MD. It was brought to light by the small group insurance plan regulated by the Maryland Healthcare Commission.

I believe the average cost of a colonoscopy in MD might be $1000 or below.

Edward
Livestrong,

Edward
Colon Cancer Class of 2002
http://www.coalregionvoice.blogspot.com/

Holly

Wow!

Postby Holly » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:17 pm

Welcome to the Colon Club!

Amen to Sweet Peg! I, too, would advise you to talk to your doc and demand a colonoscopy! I can appreciate the insurance issue but you must be proactive in the management of your health. A colonoscopy is a small price to pay versus COLON CANCER!

Regarding the issue of insurance. Let me say, do not get a sig but rather a colonoscopy because it is the gold standard for diagnosis. Should the sig find something, you would have to to get a colonoscopy any way. Regarding payment, I do not know the specifics of your insurance plan but can tell you as a stage IV survivor, I have learned many alternatives. First, you can always discuss a payment plan with the provider. Next, ask the provider if he or she offers cash payment discounts. Also, some providers are in networking systems that offer similar R/C rates (reasonable and customary rates) similar to those billed to insurance companies. More, there are providers in networks that provide services free to those that financially qualify. The more you know the better armed you are. There are many more programs and should you need asssitance, you may always send me a PM and I will do what I can do to assist you!

Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers!

Hugs!

Holly

Postby guest » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:04 pm

Another thing to remember with insurance companies and colonoscopies-if you had bleeding there is probable cause for further testing.Make sure they do not write it up as a routine colonoscopy.My Mother and Grandmother died from colon cancer.My son was diagnosed stage iv in 2004 at 33 years old.The doctors all insisted I have a colonoscopy,I was not quite 51 years old.It was written up as routine colonoscopy-which my insurance did not cover and I did not know.As I started receiving the nearly $4000 in bills I called the insurance company and inquired why I had to pay-it was written up as routine.I explained to the lady about the history,my primary health provider had to write a letter to ins. co.-they paid all the cost.I am in PA-not sure how other states and companies work but I would definitely have the test and check into wording of ins. claims.By the way the prep for test was not very pleasant,but I was totally sedated for the test-and came back clean.My 44 year old brother had two small polyps removed and my 27 year old daughter was also clean.My brother and daughter had no ins. problems. Seeing what my son is going through and the costs of treatments and testing-his ins.has been covering nearly all of it-the colonoscopy even if you would have to pay is nothing! Best of luck,but be tested! Thelma

sue

testing

Postby sue » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:33 pm

Mike,
I guess you can see the overwhelming position of the folks in the colon club! So many of us were told it is only hemrrhoids.
I had to really fight with my Dr. to get her to write the referral for the colonoscopy. She was convinced it was nothing. I hope that it turns out to be the case with you, but please, find a way to get tested. Good Luck Sue

Christine

Postby Christine » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:32 am

I want to echo the sentiments of the others. Get the colonoscopy!

I was hospitalized for anemia 3 months prior to my diagnosis and they did a test to check my stool for blood. It came back negative. They brought up the idea of a colonoscopy anyway, but I was reluctant because I didn't have ANY insurance to help with the cost. So I didn't have it done. In August, when they finally figured it out, the tumor was 7 lbs and had perforated my colon. I had become septic and had an emergency colon resection. If I could go back in time, I would pay for the colonoscopy.

tamfigg

Postby tamfigg » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:41 pm

If cost is your concern please apply to us for a grant to get screened that is what we are here for. I am a colon cancer stage 111 survivor, and have a Foundation, ready and willing to help pay for medical expenses and save lives. I can be reached at

www.figgtree.com
Tammy Figg

Alex Parikh, M.D.

colonosocpy vs sigmoidoscopy

Postby Alex Parikh, M.D. » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:22 pm

Either a colonosocpy which looks at the colon or a flexible (not rigid) sigmoidoscopy PLUS barium enema. the sigmmoidoscopy does not look at the entire colon, so you would need a barium enema as well. My personal rec: colonosocpy - don't take a chance with rectal bleeding.

Alex Parikh, M.D.
Surgical Oncology
Vanderbilt University

bluemarlinchef24

Colonoscopy!

Postby bluemarlinchef24 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:38 pm

GET A COLONOSCOPY!!
I cannot stress the impotance and value of it!!
YOU LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

The situation with you not having insurance is precisely why I am going to start my non-Profit Organization in Las Vegas!

The purpose of the organization will be to raise money to help those (like you) that need help for treatment!
Those that need help need a place to turn to.

I hope to have it up and running very soon!
I want to have many fundraisers and events to raise money for those with UC & Colon Cancer

I have been in your shoes! I went through the Los Angeles County public health system and I believe NOBODY should have to go through that.
Heck, I still have no health insurance!

I have had Severe Ulcerative Colitis for 3.5 years and am very scared that it can manifest into Colon Cancer.

My life's mission is to help those like myself get well and survive.
That is what I believe!

GET THE COLONOSCOPY!!

Regards,

Charlie

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Fri May 05, 2006 11:58 pm

Don't screw around with rectal bleeding. Get the scope. I'll moonlight to pay for the freaking thing. Just do it!!!!!

Jeff Carenza, MD
Diagnostic Radiology
Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology
Washington University Saint Louis, MO
Stage IIIB colon cancer survior (6wks s/p adjuvant chemotherapy)

LIVING EVEN STRONGER.....Only by the Grace of GOD

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”