Calling ALL Colorectal CANUCKS !

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
CRguy

Happy Canada 'EH !!!

Postby CRguy » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:44 am

Wishing all Colorectal Canucks and those who love us

HAPPY CANADA DAY ... 'eh !!!!

Cheers and best wishes
Stayin' Covid SAFEREST !!!!

Harmony
on the Journey

CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

CRguy

COVID vaccine rollout for Colorectal CANUCKS !

Postby CRguy » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:11 pm

Topic has been too quiet .... SO
what better way to re-activate it than with a COVID discussion :shock:

DIL getting first Pfizer today at last minute notice. She is a Nurse / Nursing Admin and in/out of all kinds of hot spots so :
I agree = first liner in the medical profession gets the vax.

My mother 92 yr old, has to phone for a reservation, phone lines all clogged / crashed
for some future date, waiting to hear back ... yada yada yada

typical gov't political bullshit = make appearances to make it LOOK GOOD
and deal with the fallout later when the backlash dies down AFTER the screw up...
EXCEPT HERE, what may die down are the folks who ALSO need the vax the most NOW !
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Any good vax rollout stories are more than welcome from north of 49

Cheers everyone and “Let's Be Careful Out There.”
CRguy

(( bonus points if you can name that quote ... WITHOUT a search engine :twisted: :mrgreen: ))

UPDATED :
after being on the phone at 7 am and getting robo recall messages back thru the entire day
there was actually a connection to a REAL LIVE PERSON :shock:
AT
wait for it ......
5 PM

at least we are moving FORWARD here
painful as it may seem
Caregiver x 4
17 Year survivor

GrouseMan

Re: COVID vaccine rollout for Colorectal CANUCKS !

Postby GrouseMan » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:52 pm

CRguy wrote:Topic has been too quiet .... SO

Cheers everyone and “Let's Be Careful Out There.”
CRguy

(( bonus points if you can name that quote ... WITHOUT a search engine :twisted: :mrgreen: ))

Hill Street Blues my friend. And no I didn't use a search engine. I was a fan of the show.

Anyway, something I read today is that its important for Cancer patents to get their booster shot of the Pfizer vaccine. The first jab protects them less than the general population. So although you got the first shot - please be vigilant still until after you receive the second at which point you should have about the same levels of protection it appears. I don't have a link it was something that came across one of my news feeds and now I can't find it again when I want to. Maybe someone else has seen this and can add a link to the article? I don't think its publish trial results yet.

GrouseMan
DW 53 dx Jun 2013
CT mets Liver Spleen lung. IVb CEA~110
Jul 2013 Sig Resct
8/13 FolFox,Avastin 12Tx mild sfx, Ongoing 5-FU Avastin every 3 wks.
CEA: good marker
7/7/14 CT Can't see the spleen Mets.
8/16/15 CEA Up, CT new abdominal mets. Iri, 5-FU, Avastin every 2 wks.
1/16 Iri, Erbitux and likely Avastin (Trial) CEA going >.
1/17 CEA up again dropped from Trial, Mets growth 4-6 mm in abdomen
5/2/17 Failed second trial, Hospitalized 15 days 5/11. Home Hospice 5/26, at peace 6/4/2017

CRguy

Re: Calling ALL Colorectal CANUCKS !

Postby CRguy » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:19 pm

Correct you are buddy !!!!
Congrats !

The sub-populations who "may" not respond as per clinical trial cohorts are ALSO problematic,
so thank you for bringing that up as well. I understand that real world data IS what is needed for vaccine follow ups
BUTT ....
The practice of delaying the second Pfizer dose up here is NOT backed by any real science IMO.
It appears political : "get as many doses into as many arms ASAP" kind of thing
WITHOUT the science behind it. I am not a happy camper about this.

Still lots to be ironed out it seems

Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
17 Year survivor

Green Tea

Re: COVID vaccine rollout for Colorectal CANUCKS !

Postby Green Tea » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:28 pm

GrouseMan wrote:
Anyway, something I read today is that its important for Cancer patents to get their booster shot of the Pfizer vaccine. The first jab protects them less than the general population. So although you got the first shot - please be vigilant still until after you receive the second at which point you should have about the same levels of protection it appears. I don't have a link it was something that came across one of my news feeds and now I can't find it again when I want to. Maybe someone else has seen this and can add a link to the article? I don't think its publish trial results yet.

GrouseMan

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-03-pfizer-biontech-dose-cancer-patients-insufficient.html

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:21 pm

Thanks for that update info.
They are leaving up to 4 months between doses as a new "plan" here and I am 100 % against that idea even for non cancer patients :twisted:
Caregiver x 4
17 Year survivor

Dionca

Postby Dionca » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:50 pm

Here's another link that was posted by a doctor on the Ontario Vaccine Task Force (Dr Isaac Bogoch) he seems to be the only one concerned about this. It seems crazy to go from the recommended 3 weeks between shots to 16 weeks - that seems like too much of a stretch, even for a healthy individual, and it seems like too many people could be left unprotected. The Ontario vaccine rollout has been a real shambles so far (websites crashing and unanswered phones, etc.). Leaving major medical decisions to politicians and the army is not such a great idea.

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/news/delaying-sec ... able-virus
stage 3b T3 N1b MX 2/27 nodes (surgery 4/2015)
moderately differentiated
PNI - positive
LVI - positive
Folfox 12 sessions (w/out oxi for 11 & 12)
Neulasta with 3-12 due to low WBC count
CEA at diagnosis 8.6
CEA after surgery 1.2
CEA during chemo 4.6 / 3.3 / 2.3
CEA after chemo 1.5 / 1.2 / 1.2 /1.2 /1.2 / 1.4 / 1.1 / 1.2 / 1.9 / 1.3 / 1.6 /1.4 /1.5
neuropathy
recurrence in left lung (surgery May 2020)

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:57 pm

Just a quick update :
Received the Pfizer vaccine today with the potential recall for second dose by July 13,
which puts it at 3 months not 4 !

I am good with that for now.

Cheers all and best wishes
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
17 Year survivor

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:04 pm

Wife just got Moderna today so ...
I guess we can just do our own in house research comparison with N=2 ! :shock:

So Far
all good for both of us

Stay safe and Cheers to ALL
On The Journey
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
17 Year survivor

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:11 pm

"Two glasses per week: new Canada alcohol guidelines ... Canadian experts say that new research suggests three to six drinks a week should be considered moderate risk for both men and women, and seven or more drinks a week is high risk. In addition to elevated risk of colon and breast cancer, as well as heart disease and strokes, the CCSA also identified both injuries and violence as negative outcomes from drinking alcohol..."

Health Canada recommends limiting alcohol to just 2 drinks per week
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jan/18/canada-alcohol-drinks-guidelines-health

Skylogan10

Postby Skylogan10 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:51 am

Hi all - just introducing myself to the Canuck thread. I live in Toronto and am being treated at Sunnybrook (male, 42). From what I’m told, it’s supposed to be one of the best hospitals in North America for colon cancer but my experience has been a little disheartening to put it lightly. I was diagnosed with colon cancer after emergency surgery for a blocked colon. I didn’t have a colonoscopy before surgery but the surgeon wanted me to have one right after chemo. I told this to my oncologist and she clearly didn’t know my situation. It was only after I told her the name of the surgeon that she realized I came in through emerge. She also incorrectly wrote in my file that I’m stage 3 when my diagnosis after surgery was T4aN0 which I understand is stage 2B.

I’ve also noticed that the administration of our healthcare system in Ontario is abysmal. They keep messing up my appointment times and so I’ve had to call every round to get them sorted properly. I know the doctors are good but these things really impact my confidence in my treatment.

My wife was treated for stage 3c endometrial cancer in 2015 at Princess Margaret Hospital and is now 7 years free of disease. We learned back then that we have to fight for attention and that the admin system was sorely lacking. But her oncologist was amazing so we never really questioned her. The big difference was that her oncologist was also her surgeon so she new the case intimately. In my case, I had surgery in emerge and then as handed over to an oncologist.

Anyway, I didn’t really mean to vent here but wanted to share my story with the other Canadians here. I’m currently in the middle of my fourth and hopefully final round of CAPOX. I look forward to chatting with you and learning about your experiences and access to treatment in other provinces.

All the best,
Fraser

Utwo

Postby Utwo » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:11 pm

Skylogan10 wrote:... being treated at Sunnybrook (male, 42). From what I’m told, it’s supposed to be one of the best hospitals in North America ...

Who told you this, Justin or one of his ministers?
My GI told me that the best US hospitals are much better than the best Canadian hospitals.
I understand that Sunnybrook may be one of the best Canadian hospitals, but no way it's one of the best North American hospitals.
I assume that Cleveland, NYC and Boston should be much better.
58 yo male at diagnosis: T1bN0M0, 0/15 nodes, low grade/moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma
03/2016 colonoscopy: 2 small polyps removed in left colon; CEA = 1.3
04/2016 colonoscopy: caecum sessile 3.5 cm polyp piecemeal removed with kind of clear margins
05/2016 "prophylactic" laparoscopic right hemicolectomy - bleeding, leak, infection
06/2017 CT scan, colonoscopy OK; CEA = 1.6
A lot of funny stuff discovered by CT scans in liver, kidney, lungs, arteries, gallbladder, lymph node, pancreas

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:12 pm

New info relating to HOW MRIs are being used with AI, to identify cancer and detect changes which can guide how chemo effectiveness
can be predicted for certain breast cancers.

As always, my "IMO" is that any advancement, in any cancer research, will ultimately benefit all cancer patients !

https://oicr.on.ca/innovative-mri-shine ... on-cancer/

https://globalnews.ca/news/9496451/arti ... ch-canada/

This is VERY advanced techniques, being put to great use on the front lines, and I couldn't care whether or not it IS Canadian or not ...
JUST that it IS happening ... NOW !!!

WORD !!!

Cheers all
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
17 Year survivor

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:51 pm

Skylogan10 wrote:Hi all - just introducing myself to the Canuck thread.
Anyway, I didn’t really mean to vent here but wanted to share my story with the other Canadians here. I’m currently in the middle of my fourth and hopefully final round of CAPOX. I look forward to chatting with you and learning about your experiences and access to treatment in other provinces.

All the best,
Fraser

Hey Fraser
welcome to the best forum NOBODY ever wants to have to join !

I checked out your own topic Recently diagnosed and am sending you all the best from the left coast out here in lotusland

Cheers and Harmony on the Journey
CRguy fellow Canuckian
Caregiver x 4
17 Year survivor

PEIostrich

Postby PEIostrich » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:22 pm

Hi Skylogan 10,

I’m new to this forum too but I thought I’d chime in about my experience. I have a recent stage III colon cancer diagnosis and live in PEI. I am a otherwise, very healthy 44 y.o. I was diagnosed during a colonoscopy on Dec 8, 2022. The surgeon who did the colonoscopy alerted me of the cancerous tumour and I was scheduled for a CT scan (which was clear) and a colon resection, which I had on Jan 13, 2023. The pathology report came back as T3N1b with 3 positive lymph nodes. I have started 4 cycles of CAPOX. 1 cycle completed, and halfway through my 2nd cycle.

I‘m sorry to hear of your frustrations with Sunnybrook. My impression is that it is a stellar hospital and you should be in good hands.

Living in such a small province as PEI I was nervous that my care might be compromised. But I am happy to say that I have been very pleased with my care so far. The surgeon, the med onc, and the staff at the cancer centre have been great here. Perhaps we don’t experience the same challenges with the administration as you would in a busy Toronto hospital. As pleased as I have been with my care to date, I also believe it’s important to be your own advocate. Don’t be afraid to be pushy if needed.

I wish you all the best.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”