Couldn't complete colonoscopy

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
grandma3

Couldn't complete colonoscopy

Postby grandma3 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:31 am

I went in on January 13, 2011 for a colonoscopy. Had a rough time with the prep and thought for sure it had to be empty but when I got to the hospital they had to give me two enemas :oops: to finish cleaning me out. When the surgeon came to talk to me I wasn't completely coherent but I heard him say I would need to get a Barium Enema done. I asked my husband why and he said the doctor said he could not complete the colonoscopy because there was a blockage at the "top". I wish they had gone ahead and done the barium enema that day so I wouldn't have to go through another prep but I go back on Feb.3rd. The surgeon's nurse called me later that day to ask how I was and I told her I was confused on why I had to have a Barium Enema and she said it was because he couldn't get through to the top. She said it could be adhesions from previous abdominal surgeries but they have to find out what it is. Has anyone else had the problem of not being able to complete the colonoscopy and what was your outcome? I talked to my family doctor today about it and he said we definitely need to find out the cause and he said more than likely the barium enema would show a shadow and then I would have to go back in for another colonoscopy using a pediatric tube. Thanks for any information you might give me.

karenM

Re: Couldn't complete colonoscopy

Postby karenM » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:33 am

Hello Grandma3. I know you are worried. But wait until all the testing is done. Sometimes it is nothing. BUT if it is, this is the place to be as you go on your journey. There are so many nice people who can answer questions and give you support. God bless.

Karen
Colon cancer found Nov 08- stage 3
Surgery Dec 16th 08
in hosp 16th to 23,
28th to 1st of Jan for blockage
port put in Jan 12th
Chemo started Jan 09-
ended July 09
Hospital for a wk in April for bleeding.
As of Aug 09 am NED! Thank GOD!

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:35 pm

Hi Grandma3,

I can't answer your question, but I do want to say "welcome", I hope everything turns out O.K. It is good they are going to find the cause for that blockage, chances are it is something minor, but if it happens to be cancer, you have come to the right place for information and support.

One day at a time,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

grandma3

Postby grandma3 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:35 am

Thanks Karen & Lee for your responses. You are both probably right and I am just making more out of this then I should. I broke my tibia, fibula, ankle & heel on Sept 2010 when I fell down a hill and then in February 2011 I tripped over a landscape brick covered by the snow and tore my right ACL and had to have it repaired and then in May 2011 I had to have a double heart bypass due to some major blockage in the front artery that they refer to as "the widow maker" (of course mine would have been a widower maker :) ). Didn't even know I had any heart problems although the surgeon said I probably had some symptoms but women are bad about making excuses. :roll: I was due to have my 4th cervical spine surgery back before I had my broken leg but can't do anything now until the heart doctor releases me for more surgery. I know things could be much worse and I am sure this will be alright. Wish I could have had the Barium Enema the same day they did the colonoscopy because of the prep. I have IBS and I have been all out of whack since the holidays. I go from constipation to diarrhea in NO time and have had so many embarrassing public accidents. Thanks again for your post and I will let you all know when I hear something.

Take care
Linda

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”