??pure maple syrup & aluminum free baking soda

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
loveofmylife

??pure maple syrup & aluminum free baking soda

Postby loveofmylife » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:25 pm

Found this info, just curious if anyone has every heard or tried the 100% pure maple syrup and aluminum free baking soda combo. Our pastor talked to us about this, and thought we should give it a try. He says you just never know. I googled it but just wanted to see if anyone has ever heard of it or tried it. Thanks.
Tom dx 11/10 crc st.3
Rad/Chemo/Surgery 3/15/11
Dx St4 mets to Liver 3/25/11
10/28Surgury 11hrs:Liver/Lungs
1/22/12 brain 2 mets w/multi liver,lung mets
2/07gamma knife:brain
9.16.12 married 17yrs with 3 daughters
9.21.12 at 40 yrs called home to heaven

Jimswife

Re: ??pure maple syrup & aluminum free baking soda

Postby Jimswife » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:55 pm

Hi I've not heard of that one ? What's it meant to do ? Have you tried green tea ? Tumeric ? Pomegranate ? Ginger ?
They did a study here in the uk at a big cancer centre and those 4 ingredients were found to be the most potent in fighting cancer . We take them every day , I drink green tea by the bucket load , plus I juice twice daily .
Victoria , Wife to Jim age 43 dx oct 2011
Stage 3 cc with 2 out of 21 positive lymph nodes
Folfox starts nov 11-may 12
All scans and bloods since surgery confirm no evidence of disease
Hoping to stay ned forever .... Fingers crossed !!!!!!!

loveofmylife

Postby loveofmylife » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:14 pm

"Supposedly" the cancer will attack the maple syrup and the baking soda will attack the cancer cells from inside out. We have no idea, but trying this with my husband. Use 1/4 part ALUMINUM FREE BAKING SODA and 3/4 100% PURE MAPLE SYRUP. Put into saucepan and cook for 5 minutes at almost high heat stirring constantly and does it foam up. Let it cool completely and store in canning jar in refrigerator. The contents separate, so stir up before each use. Please just google this info. I have no idea if it does work or not, but our pastor made up a batch for my husband, so we are giving it a try. My husband has a hard time with taste, and he is still so easy to gag, but trying to get him to drink a variety of fluids. He was on a lemon kick, and was constantly drinking lemonade or lemon water but now I cant get him to touch it. I will try green tea again. Thanks for the reply.
Tom dx 11/10 crc st.3

Jimswife

Postby Jimswife » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:31 pm

Thanks I'll look up that tonight , anythings worth a try to keep the beast away !!!
Victoria , Wife to Jim age 43 dx oct 2011
Stage 3 cc with 2 out of 21 positive lymph nodes
Folfox starts nov 11-may 12
All scans and bloods since surgery confirm no evidence of disease
Hoping to stay ned forever .... Fingers crossed !!!!!!!

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:07 pm

loveofmylife wrote:"Supposedly" the cancer will attack the maple syrup and the baking soda will attack the cancer cells from inside out. We have no idea, but trying this with my husband. ... I have no idea if it does work or not, but our pastor made up a batch for my husband, so we are giving it a try. My husband has a hard time with taste, and he is still so easy to gag, but trying to get him to drink a variety of fluids.

Loveofmylife, I know that you are scared, that your husband has had multiple progressions of his stage IV disease and that the doctors don't have many more tools left in their toolboxes. I know what it can feel like to want to try anything. But please, please stop and think about what you're doing here. Read what I quoted from your post. Honestly, seriously - if your husband didn't have CRC, and your pastor had offered this to you as a "preventative," would you even have considered giving this to him or using it yourself?

The concoction your pastor made up, I'm sure with the best of intentions, goes by several names including the Jim Kelmun protocol. But just because people have heard about it, and there are results when you Google it, is no sign that there's any shred of truth to its claims. Think about it - Laetrile has a lot of online references that make claims of cure, too. But we know now that none of them are true. Still, in the 70s, people desperate to cure cancer were more than willing to travel to Mexico or Canada in the vain hope that if they could just get to Laetrile, they'd beat their breast cancer and live.

There is absolutely no scientific proof that drinking this maple syrup/baking soda concoction stops or slows down cancer for even one minute.

People who are desperate will make all kinds of choices, and people who have cancer (and their families) can be some of the most desperate. But there is no shortage of people out there willing to prey on that, or willing (with the best of intentions) to give you their story about a cousin of a boyfriend of a sister-in-law who did XYZ to help his cancer. You can force-feed your husband all sorts of stuff in the hope you'll have an effect on his cancer...or you can smile politely at those who suggest stuff that has no proof of effectiveness, thank them, and move on. If you want to learn more about which supplements and alternative therapies have some scientific validity (and which don't), please check out Memorial Sloan Kettering's free online integrative medicine reference.

Before you dive headfirst into someone's suggested "cure" or "supplement," ask yourself:
- would your husband choose to drink this stuff if you didn't present it to him?
- if a friend suggested drain cleaner enemas, would your common sense and knowledge of the danger of poisoning take over...or would you just try it?
- is what's being suggested (even if it seems harmless) really in my husband's best interests, or does it just seem that way because I want/need to do SOMEthing?

I know how very difficult this place is, where the cancer is serious and the medical options are few. But please, don't risk your husband's life by chasing down unproven "cures" that are little more than internet snake oil.
Be in harmony with your expectations. - Life Out Loud
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
2/11 recurrence R lung, spinal bone mets - chemo, RFA lung mets
4/12 stopped treatment

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:00 pm

Gaelen wrote: Still, in the 70s, people desperate to cure cancer were more than willing to travel to Mexico or Canada in the vain hope that if they could just get to Laetrile, they'd beat their breast cancer and live.

Please review this article, contemporaneous with your referenced time frame, before lumping Canada in with Mexico and West Germany as a source for Laetrile quack cures. It was NEVER a recognized drug in Canada, and never licenced as a cancer treatment drug. :shock: Smuggled "pills" were as readily available in the US, as any other country where people decide for themselves where they decide to obtain their "medicaments", regardless of efficacy.

I am otherwise in agreement with your post though, from which I would infer .... "maple syrup / baking soda" would nonetheless qualify on the caveat emptor list.

CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

jennyjojjr

Postby jennyjojjr » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:37 pm

My grandpa had lung cancer during the latrile craze. My dad was desperate to find something to save his father and wanted him to try it. It is annoying that people put this crap out there and call this stuff miracle cures. If people understood how complex cancer is maybe they wouldn't fall for it. I think about how many billions of cells make up a tumor, and with lymph node spread the number of cancer cells that had the oppertunity to travel into my bloodstream, and then it is hard to believe even chemo could work. Maple syrup, lemon juice, herbal supplements, etc promoted as cures distracts people from getting the tx they need. Chemo works because it's poison, the only thing that could possibly kill cancer cells. jennyjo stage 3

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:11 pm

CRguy wrote:Please review this article, contemporaneous with your referenced time frame, before lumping Canada in with Mexico and West Germany as a source for Laetrile quack cures. It was NEVER a recognized drug in Canada, and never licenced as a cancer treatment drug. :shock: Smuggled "pills" were as readily available in the US, as any other country where people decide for themselves where they decide to obtain their "medicaments", regardless of efficacy.

I didn't say that Canada treated Laetrile as a recognized or licensed drug. However, the article you linked clearly indicates that laetrile was briefly manufactured in Canada, and that when manufacturing was shut down, the Canadian government had trouble controlling the groups that would relabel it, repackage it, and try to sell it as something else (amyglandin, or apricot kernels). That lasted well into the 70s, CRguy. Heck, it probably is still going on...

Where do you think Americans got some of those "smuggled pills" you reference? Maybe some people in the Northeastern US went thousands of miles to Mexico or West Germany, but I'm willing to bet that more of them drove north an hour or two, crossed over into Canada, and smuggled what they wanted back in. People in this part of the world are still "smuggling" pills (and other things) in from Canada, where the Canada regulations and OTC status of drugs makes it easier to get them than here in the states. Sure, it's tougher at the regulated border crossings like Gananoque and Niagara Falls...but the St. Regis Nation is an unregulated border on the St. Lawrence and has been a gateway for contraband since we had definitions for contraband...including former slaves making their way north.

I didn't say that Canada considered Laetrile, or anything it was repackaged as, legal.
But don't kid yourself that Canada wasn't a source, CRguy, regardless of the Canadian medical establishment's position. Your own reference admits that Laetrile was available/present in Canada, even if it wasn't always labeled Laetrile.
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
4/12 stopped treatment

loveofmylife

Postby loveofmylife » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:35 pm

So sorry I even posted this. Wish I could just remove. Just love my husband so much and just wandered if anyone had ever tried.
Tom dx 11/10 crc st.3

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:38 pm

Gaelen wrote: That lasted well into the 70s, CRguy. Heck, it probably is still going on...
NO..that is BC BUD you are thinking of !!! :mrgreen:

Gaelen wrote: crossed over into Canada, and smuggled what they wanted back in.
As in "hoisting their OWN petard... ???" You want me to reference all the stuff which can be obtained in the USA and brought back into CanadaEH...which is nothing less than shit and only slightly ..well not really, any more than snake oil ?????

Gaelen wrote:...including former slaves making their way north.
SLAVES...escaping to their FREEDOM ??? !!!! If that is a bad thing in your mind...I would probably say "RED light here Gaelen"...unless your personal views on "freedom" don't match with ..say.... the rest of the civilized world .. ???? just sayin'. :shock:

Gaelen wrote:... regardless of the Canadian medical establishment's position. Your own reference admits that Laetrile was available/present in Canada, even if it wasn't always labeled Laetrile.

REGARDLESS... ???? Gaelen that is Exactly what we NEED to regard.. the medical profession's SPECIFIC opinion, lacking overwhelming evidence to the contrary, that this and all other "pseudoscience" needs to be vetted BY THE SCIENTIFIC PROFESSIONALS...
How many posts of YOURS and MINE would you like me to pull up to support that claim ??????

You may NOT agree with or, even like me, but please, don't let your personal bias cloud the facts in this discussion.

Canada was NEVER a legitimate "haven" or source for the pseudoscience that is / was Laetrile, any more than the USA was.
This was FORTY years ago..gimme a break..WE need to live HERE....NOW.....
and actually in the future, however that looks to each of us.

CRguy
Caregiver x 4
17 Year survivor

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:46 pm

loveofmylife wrote:So sorry I even posted this. Wish I could just remove. Just love my husband so much and just wandered if anyone had ever tried.
Don't be sorry.
There are a few of us here who have agreed to "disagree"...on just about everything.

Like I said before " you have the right to choose. "
I may not agree, but I support YOUR right to choose.

Others here do not agree with me.

That's OK BTDT many,many,TOO effing MANY times.

YOUR Journey, is YOURS alone.
Take from it what you will ... and share.
You are not right, you are not wrong...you are just you, I am me.

There is NO instructional manual for life.
WE just live it...warts and all.

On The Journey......
ALWAYS
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
17 Year survivor

Nickmark59
Facebook Username: nickmark59

Postby Nickmark59 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:17 pm

the crazy Coast to Coast AM Radio show that's on in middle of the night 1-5 AM EST often has on alternative docs who spout this as a cure for cancer and coffee enemas etc etc.
CRC- IV 7-th yr Survivor -5 rectal tumors 1 bleeding with mets to liver
Rad. 36 treat.
with 6 Chemo 2-Ox.- 4 Fol.
surgery 15 hrs to resect colon and liver- Feb 08
follow up 6 chemo Folfox
www.darkinvestigations.blogspot.com

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:44 pm

loveofmylife wrote:So sorry I even posted this. Wish I could just remove. Just love my husband so much and just wandered if anyone had ever tried.

Loveofmylife, there's no need to feel sorry for posting a question about this stuff. As I posted earlier - it's obvious that you're concerned and that you're willing to try anything, and since your husband's cancer has resisted all other treatments, that can leave a caregiver (or a patient) feeling pretty desperate.

I remember your first post, where you wanted the same miracle of survival for your husband that you felt you'd experienced after your own hodgkins lymphoma and thyroid cancers and heart issues. But the thing is, your cancers were different from CRC, and the drugs and treatments for NHL and thyroid cancer have stronger track records than the treatments for recurrent aggressive CRC. His cancer, as you described it in that post, sounds very aggressive, which happens often in young patients (under 40.) Modern medicine may not have the tools to change the course of his disease...but internet cures surely don't.

It does sound like it's way past time to ask his doctors for an integrative medicine approach, one that deals with his symptom, treatment and psychological needs...for both of your sakes.

Have any of your husband's doctors offered either of you access to counseling and palliative integrative care (care aimed at controlling his symptoms and addressing his emotional needs in the face of multiple progressions?) Fight Colorectal Cancer hosted a webinar last night with Dr. Jimmie Holland, who has been a force in developing awareness of psychological needs of cancer patients and caregivers. She strongly, strongly urges patients AND caregivers to push for integrative medicine approaches from the beginning, but especially as treatment options begin to dwindle. You can listen to the webinar for free at the FightCRC website, and it included a helpline for the American Psyco-Oncology Association, as well as for FightCRC's own patient and caregiver helpline.

Coming to acceptance that treatment options are failing and you need to take a different course is a difficult place to be. In your first post, you wrote: "I dont no what to do and all he says is it is what it is and we cant change it and you have to be strong for our girls."

There may be integrative and palliative medicine options out there that will help your husband (and you) feel better physically and emotionally. But faced with no more drug options, his "it is what it is and we can't change it" is probably the most honest evaluation of the state of his disease that you can get from anyone. Honor him, by honoring that, loveofmylife. Learn to find the ordinary miracles in every day that celebrate that he is alive right now.

And don't ever be sorry you asked a question. This discussion may keep someone from investing time, faith and energy into something promoted as a cure that offers no proof that it works.

My strongest thoughts to you and your husband as you make your way forward.
4/12 stopped treatment

annalexandria

Postby annalexandria » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:55 pm

A recent study out of the University of Rhode Island found that maple syrup contains numerous compounds critical to good health, including anti-oxidants. And baking soda acts as a neutralizer of acid, like the cimetidine that a lot of people are using now. Who knows, maybe this combo might have merit? Pour it on a homemade waffle and it should go down just fine. Certainly isn't likely to hurt. Hugs-Ann
Mom, librarian
Dx age 43, Sept. '09, Stage IV Carcinosarcoma of the colon
5 surgeries, 2009-2011:
colon/sm. bowel res., node removal, peritoneum, hysterectomy
FOLFOX/Avastin Feb.'10-Aug '10
Carbo-Taxol Dec. '10-Feb. 2011
NED since Dec. 2011.

CheeseHead

Postby CheeseHead » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:18 am

Loveofmylife,

Just chiming in to say that as far as I'm concerned a caregiver who posts here looking for things to help his/her loved one is never wrong to post.

Wishing you husband & you all the best.

Jimswife wrote:Hi I've not heard of that one ? What's it meant to do ? Have you tried green tea ? Tumeric ? Pomegranate ? Ginger ?
They did a study here in the uk at a big cancer centre and those 4 ingredients were found to be the most potent in fighting cancer . We take them every day , I drink green tea by the bucket load , plus I juice twice daily .

Would you have a reference for that study (e.g. timeframe, location, articles etc)? I've read about research into those things and am interested if I had missed that study...

Thanks,
Cheese
    10 Stg 4 colon srgry
    12 Xelox/Avast
    05 Liver srgry
    -12 Xelox
    05 Xelox
    08 Iri/Vect
    11 Liver srgry
    01-05 Iri,Vect,Xeloda
    09 CyberKnife
    03-07 Ph I trial