Chemo

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Becca

Chemo

Postby Becca » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:26 am

Hey Ya'll!

Well I have had my first round of chemo this past week. They have me on Leucovorin & Eloxatin & Fluorouracil (5-FU). It all went well and so far so good. I have yet got sick. Just a little tired. The pack I brought home was not to bad to tote around. (lol) Just glad when it made that sweet sound to come off. Oh, I had to get a reb blood cell shot also. They were down. All others were great! The only reaction I am having is the coldness. I can not reach in the freezer and get something. (Ouch it hurts) Then no more cold drinks and this sucks. It hurts my throat. So just room temp water is all I am taking in. :cry:

Just sitting there those 4 hours were not me. I am use to doing something. So what I will do next time is start on making the tie-blankets.

Good luck to everyone who is going through all this. We can make it as a TEAM and keep everyones SPIRTS UP!

Becca

Rochelle

Congratulations

Postby Rochelle » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:39 am

I am very happy for you that you received your chemo treatment with little side effects. I use oven mitts when changing ice trays-this side effect only lasts a few day for me. In exchange, I have intermittent nausea, and occasional tenderness on the bottoms of my feet. :D

I am on a chemo program which is every other week-Oxilaplatin, Leucavorin, Flouracil 5-FU, and Avastin. It is dispersed through a 48 hour pack which I take home for 2 days. Prior to this, I am in the hospital for 4 1/2 to 5 hours to receive the remaining drug. I am more than ready to have my needle disconnected from my port the last day-freedom (in a sense!)
Last edited by Rochelle on Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brenda Durant

Must Watch For Liver Toxicity

Postby Brenda Durant » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:34 pm

I am glad you are responding and handing your treatments so well. My husband's Dr. finally responded to questions that I asked before his Oxaliplatin treatments began (about articles that I had read about fatal liver toxcitity caused by Oxaliplatin). He said the drug was new and that they are finding out more about it w/use and that there is a serious concern about liver toxicitity and the long term affects to the liver. We should all realize that the FDA has released many drugs that have been reported to harm and kill. We must discuss w/ the doctors and make sure the serious side affects are watched for. A consumer watch dog group has also expressed concerns about the cost and potential for harm. Until there are changes that some members of Congress are pressing for, the FDA could fail us fatally. We must be positive; but, we also must be informed and proactive in treatments. My next question is a hard one for the doctor (who does ot resent my questions and appreciates that I am trying to look out for my husband). The question is how much more beneficial the Oxaliplatin (which is far more expensive) is over the older drug. Having prescribed it for only a yr., his individual data most likely wil not provide hands on answers.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”