new to all this

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
crystalcherubs

new to all this

Postby crystalcherubs » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:01 pm

Lets see...I saw an article in "The Cure' mag and thought that it was so interesting that a girl had colon cancer young..like me. I was 29 when I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Colon cancer with invasion into the lymph nodes. I did my year of chemo and get my blood tested every 3 months along with a yearly colonoscopy......I am now 32. I have lots of issues after ...had a resection of the colon at 29....and oopherectomy (removal of left ovary) at 31 and just this year a hysterectomy. All brought on by fear of mass's..you know.everything looks like cancer...lol...anyway..would love to hear from people my age.

Cindy

Christine

Postby Christine » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:29 pm

Hi Cindy,

Welcome to the Colon Club!

I was diagnosed at 28 (actually I'm still 28) with stage IV and I too am always on the lookout for other young people with colon cancer. You say that you've finished your year of chemo - are you in remission?

Christine
http://coloncancersucksass.blogspot.com

Billy

new to all this

Postby Billy » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:38 pm

Cindy,

If you’re looking for other young people who are going through what you are going through, you’ve come to the right place. I was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer when I was 35, two years ago. I went through a few surgeries and chemo treatment. I was cancer free for a little bit, but had a slight relapse last December. I’m currently back in chemo, but all the signs look positive. The Colon Club is filled with people with similar stories, and every one of those people are wonderful. They all share their stories and support, which has helped me, and others, tremendously!! Keep checking the board for topics that you may be able to provide info for. I have found that sharing my story with others has been as big a help emotionally as anything else.

Billy
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

http://billyscolon.blogspot.com

KarenD

Young at heart but not at colon

Postby KarenD » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:45 pm

Hi

I was just diagnosed with Stage IV in January - I am 37. I was told that out of 140,000 new cases each year, only 10% are under 40. Lucky us to be overachievers.

My colon was successfully resected and is clear as of now. But the cancer spread to my liver (has anyone else's?) and I am undergoing chemo with Avastin.

It scares me a little to hear your stories of recurrence. I am hoping new drugs or discoveries will help prevent this for me in next two years.

My doctors all said they are seeing this "old person's disease" in younger and younger people. I wonder why? Probably the food we eat...hormones in our meat, more pesticides, all the fake ingredients to replace fat and sugar. I now eat more natural foods and avoid most of the artificial stuff. In the process I gained 5 pounds since my colon surgery but I guess need this extra weight for chemo.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”