Cea Level Is Up What Does It Mean?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
frances

Re: Cea Level Is Up What Does It Mean?

Postby frances » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:31 am

Murray can you expand on the use of LDH w CEA and CA 19 pls?

Livelife

Postby Livelife » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:56 am

frances wrote:Murray can you expand on the use of LDH w CEA and CA 19 pls?

Frances, LDH is not specific to or even necessarily related to colon cancer. There has been some studies showing correlations for prognostic information in operable colorectal cancer, however it is not something that is generally used. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16896001

LDH usually is an indication of inflammation somewhere in the body and in my case my LDH was elevated (1400) at time of diagnosis due to the advancement of the CRC into other organs, hence a lot of inflammation going on. The high LDH prompted further tests. The level has dropped down into normal range once I started treatment so I just get it tested just for an overall monitor.

CEA and CA 19.9 are more specific to CRC with CEA being the preferred marker. The onc only really wants to check CEA every 1 or 2 months but I like to get it done every 2 weeks because it is good indicator for me.
Riding Americas http://www.steelhorsetour.com
Mar11 DX St4 liver&lungs,37yo
CEA3213, CA19.9 13000
Apr11 XELOX+AV
June11 Got married:)
Aug11 No Ox,cont.Xel+Av
Jan12 CEA17, CA19.9 76
Primary GONE!
Xel+Av
Nov12 Markers skyhigh
FOLFIRI+Erbitux

frances

Postby frances » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:32 pm

Murray,
thanks, I was just reading yr signature before seeing you had answered this. Your progress is nothing short of amazing.
It seems to me like having LDH in the mix can only help, since CEA is for all it's wisdom, only one indicator.
I sort of jumped on that because my GP made the mouse like request for a cholesterol test last week amidst all this other drama.
Wow, keep on trucking buddy.
Frances

drose
Facebook Username: send message

Postby drose » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:12 pm

Hi

From what I understand CEA levels are a protein molecule unique to each individual and used as one of the markers by the oncologist for progression of the disease during treatment.

My husband started around 260. When down to 14 with 8 rounds of oxaliplatin. Went up during maintenance into the 100's. Jumped up to 270 during CPT 11. Now he is back on oxaliplatin. He will have another CEA prior to his next treatment. Do not have a clue what his CEA will be this time?

I have seen numbers from 1.1 to 10,000+ in other patients. Normal is usually less than 5 micrograms per liter (mcg/L).CEA is not always an effective screening test for hidden (occult) cancer since early tumors do not cause significant blood elevations. Also, many tumors never cause an abnormal blood level, even in advanced disease. Because there is variability between results obtained between laboratories, the same laboratory should do repeat testing when monitoring a patient with cancer.

There are also inflammatory conditions and diseases that can cause rise in CEA levels. I would talk to the doc about the CEA level and get their professional opinion.

Best wishes to you...
HB age 50
CC w mets to liver lung lymph 09-10
folfox w av x 8 txt - stable w cavitation
Maint 5fu w. av x 11 txt -stable
txt break for toxicity- cea -mass progression
folfiri w av x 5 txt -cea up
folfox w av x 2 -allergic
Erbitux w CPT 11 rash

Jewells

Postby Jewells » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:38 pm

I might be strange, but my CEA levels have never been high, so were never a way to gauge anything for me. I would definitely suggest scans as well as new blood work before you subject your body to more chemo.
Dx 3/08
Stage 2
Resection & Chemo
Recurrance 3/10
Stage 4
6 months of Chemo
1 year Avastin
Recurrance 10/11

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”