colon cancer question

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
beth

colon cancer question

Postby beth » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:52 pm

I was diagnosted with colon cancer at 49, never thought I was sick at all.
I was so busy, although I was very tired. weight stayed same no blood. But,I obstructed sigmoid and had surgery in dec 2003. It has been a wild ride since. Went to U of M and only took 4 treatments.. couldn't take them.. Three month later I had it in my lungs...... Scarey...... I thought if the chemo did'nt work the first time would it work the 2ndl.

I went to the NIH. of NIC.National institute of Caner. I was accepted into an expeirmental colorectal vaccine program which thought was working but unfortunately it did not. I was kicked out of that study and told to go home for chemo.

Now I am in chemo. Oxciplatin;; 5fu leucovorin;; Avastin. this is 7th treatment. Is anyone having problems with their hands shaking and a feeling like their idleing on the inside. I am sure it is the oxy..... Also I cry alot.........

thanks
Beth
`

[color=darkred][/color][color=black][/color][size=18][/size][size=12][/size]

Folfox

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:14 pm

Hi Beth

I had one treatment of the oxiliplatin etc. back in January/06 atWindsor Regional Cancer Centre and also had the jittery feelings etc. Also the tips of my fingers were super sensitive to the cold, I had problems swallowing , felt like my throat was closing, and had problems swallowing anothing cold, it all had to be warm or tepid. I was taken off the treatment as I had just finished 12 sessions of the Folfori and my doc felt I needed a rest from chemo. I will begin Folfox again on April10/06 for 6 sessions (12 treatments) so we'll see what happens now. I am from Chatham Ontario so it's nice seing someone from Michigan on the board.

Let me know how all is going.

Theresa

Stacey

re: colon cancer question

Postby Stacey » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:57 pm

I was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer with mets to the liver on April 5th, 2005. On April 6th I had surgery to remove 1 foot of my sigmoid colon which contained a tumor the size of an orange and the length of a candy bar. I also had all 13 lymph nodes removed which all were cancerous. My liver was covered in cancer, with eight golfball sized tumors and a bunch of little ones. I started chemo at the end of April- 5-fu, avastin, oxyplatin, lucovorin. Three days a week every other week. Basically as agressive as possible.

Hair thinned out a lot, numbness in toes and fingers, for the three days of chemo, plus two or three days after, no cold food or drinks. Tired and a little nauseous. Bad medicine taste in my mouth. After the 7th treatment I started to have bad reactions on the first day of chemo, so they gave my more drugs to battle that.

The good news is that I went into remission by September. I finished my 12th round in October, 2005 and have been happy to be off chemo for a while. The bad news is it's back. My cea is rising and I go for tests on Wednesday and will probably start back on chemo by the end of the month.

Whatever you do don't give up. It's an emotional time and yes getting chemo sucks, but you can do it! Live life as full as you can and don't take even one day for granted. If there is a support group available- go to it! They help a lot. Just being able to talk about the effects of chemo and be able to laugh and joke with others who know what you're going through helps. Good luck to you and if you want to chat, email me at momofhds@hotmail.com.

Blessings,

Stacey

laura

Postby laura » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:06 pm

I am a 37 year old stage 4 colorectal ca survivor. I finished up chemo 11 months ago. I also did the oxyliplatin, avastin, 5fu leukovori route. I was sick as a dog, also. I was warned ahead of time about the heuropathy in my hands, feet and throat, so was prepared for it. It actually worsened in my feet for about 6 montyhs after the treatment, but then gradually dissappeared. My doctor was dissappointed that, though the neuropathy was mentioned as a possible side effect, it was not stressed enough how often or to what extent patients will experience this. Good luck with your treatments! You are all in my prayers!

beth

Laura

Postby beth » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:39 pm

[size=18]Hi Laura:

I am in my 10th chemo /second time around. I am sick sick also... My thoat feel like it is closing. I also have a bloody nose all the time. My cea is going down fast. 233 to 187 to 54 to 34 I HAVE my next blood wook
monday. my next cat scan is next month may. I know I need to stay strong. It's hard at time. my schedule is so close together.. Ever other week for 12 sessions . Then I will probablly go on some kind of ....maintanence. drug fo a while. Can't wait to get a break......

I also sleep alot............. Good luck and God Bless

Beth

beth

Laura

Postby beth » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:41 pm

[size=18]Hi Laura:

I am in my 10th chemo /second time around. I am sick sick also... My thoat feel like it is closing. I also have a bloody nose all the time. My cea is going down fast. 233 to 187 to 54 to 34 I HAVE my next blood wook
monday. my next cat scan is next month may. I know I need to stay strong. It's hard at time. my schedule is so close together.. Ever other week for 12 sessions . Then I will probablly go on some kind of ....maintanence. drug fo a while. Can't wait to get a break......

I also sleep alot............. Good luck and God Bless

Beth

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”