need info on fol fox

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
witchydlm

need info on fol fox

Postby witchydlm » Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:48 pm

Is this the way it goes? 2 hr infusion with oxal, then injection of luke and fu
then 24 hrs of chemo pack with just fu? my dr said I had to do chemo 2x a wk is this the 2 x's? is this 2x a wk a mth or every wk? and how many treatments? i keep hearing about number treatment etc and is there a set number of treatments? or do they go by tests? and y didnt the cea show much my metastic lymph? does only the pet scan show it?
thanks
debbie
one day at a time

michele1

need info on fol fox

Postby michele1 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:02 pm

I think the treatment may vary for some, but the most common in my setting (there are several of us) get hooked up for a couple of hours on day 1 (which includes premeds to help with nausea prevention), then Oxaliplatin/leucovorin, then home with the fanny pack that has the 5fu for the next 22 hours. Day 2 is just leucovorin and reconnect to the fanny pack for a 2nd 22 hours of 5fu. Day 3 is just a disconnect day for me. This happens every 2 weeks as long as all is well with the blood tests that I get before each treatment is due. I just finished number 4. I think this is the routine in most cases, but could vary for some.

My total treatments are to be 12 (I am stage 3C) unless I show any signs of recurrence. If that is the case, I am sure there would be more chemo. Just make a list of some specific questions for the doctor or team. I had to go through a teaching session on the drugs/process before I began. Hopefully, where you are will have something similar that will help to answer any question. Take someone with you if you can that can help with what you can't remember. It can be quite overwhelming.

My prayers are with you.

michele

witchydlm

lymph nodes

Postby witchydlm » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:09 am

thanks michele,
now I know that I can say just 11 more to go 10 more etc. I have been trying to find a place in my mind to deal with this just having the positive attitude that I usually deal with life lol gets hard sometimes
but I appreciate it
god bless
debbie
one day at a time

ASTEPHENS33

Chemo Feeling

Postby ASTEPHENS33 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:41 pm

I am currently in the middle of my chemo. I find that after my week off and have to start the next cycle, I have that "I don't want to do this anymore" feeling. After I start, however, I feel good that I am doing something to fight this disease. As difficult as chemo is sometimes, its something real to deal with. I think its going to be hard just waiting to see if I relapse.

Jen

Postby Jen » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:34 pm

My treatment is similar to Michele's. I get a drip of anti-nausea meds for about an hour on day one, then a drop of oxaliplatin and leucovirin, then a push of 5FU, then a 46 hour slow drip of 5FU. I also get 12 treatments, one every other week. I had three lymph nodes positive, but my CEA level was very low. As I understand it, there are just some people for whom CEA level isn't a good indicator of cancer.

Best of luck with your upcoming treatments!

Jen

Christine

Postby Christine » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:17 pm

My treatment is also similar although I am also getting Avasin (I'm stage IV). I don't have a set number of treatments through. I think that is because I'm stage IV. My treatments will continue until there is no evidence of disease or no evidence of improvement (the treatment stops working). I get CT scans every three months to check progress. I started on treatments in December and I have completed 8 cycles with 2 one-week breaks due to low white blood cell counts.

Christine
http://coloncancersucksass.blogspot.com

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”