Vitamin B6 toxicity/oxaliplatin

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
DeborahHG

Vitamin B6 toxicity/oxaliplatin

Postby DeborahHG » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:19 pm

Has anyone on folfox treated with vitamin B6 for neuropathy experienced increased and/or asymmetric pheripheral neuropathy in an acute time period?? (only right hand/ foot numbness and is mostly palmar and plantar surfaces).
My husband had completed one cycle folfox then he started on B6 100mg bid for next two weeks but on some days was getting 250mg plus B6 per day because of B complex that he took maybe 6 days of 14 days. Med-Onc ordered head MRI for Monday because of symptoms being asymmetric. Carl has had a mild headache on most evenings (which could be explained by chemo, stress.....) but definitely no more neurological deficits. The neuropathy is purely sensory at this point, no motor deficits. I realized since we came home from 3rd cycle Tuesday that it may be B6 toxicity. I did some reading and learned that B6 toxicity can come on within days AND it can be asymmetric (Medscape info). I held the B6 for 3 days and the numbness is getting better. We will restart at lower dose??? I had read that 100mg/day is the upper safe limit.....Is this true???
Thanks for your input!!!

joy

Postby joy » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:40 am

Stage 3 colon rectal 2 lymph nodes involved.

My first treatment with oxi was a honeymoon - felt fine with no discomfort. My 2nd treatment with Oxi was a nightmare - my temperature shot to 40c, I felt that I was being "slow roasted" from the inside. I'm no wimp and pleaded with my oncologist to let me continue but she insists that "the cure can kill me".....so I'm on good old 5fU with radiation.

I was so upset that I can't contine on the "miracle" drug Oxi -- but will have to put all my faith in 5FU.

To-day I found a picture taken when I was on the Oxi - boy oh boy I really didn't realize just how sick I looked. My face is unbelievably red!!

Sweet Peg

Postby Sweet Peg » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:12 pm

Deborah
Don't take anymore than 100mg of B6 a day. My oncologist is the one who discovered the use of B6 to ease Neuropathy. He told me never to use more than 100mg a day that it could make things worse. He also said that B6 didn't work for everyone but give it a try. I didn't start using it until I was almost done with my treatments. I have been done with my treatments since the first week of Aug 2005 and still have neuropathy. It isn't as bad now at all but he said it could take a couple years for it to completly go away after using Oxi and may never completly go away. If this is the only side effect I have from using the Oxi and 5fu I am very grateful!! At least I have been clean since my surgery in Jan. of 2005 now so I just Praise the Lord for that! I hope this helped you some. Keep checking back with the Colon Club cause they are great people!! Very supportive and full of helpful information! You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Peg

kevinlv

Glutamine

Postby kevinlv » Wed May 03, 2006 1:41 pm

Try some glutamine for you neuralga. You need a high dose 10g three times a day. My oncologist approves of it. It also helps with gi side effest too. They make a product Sympt GI 10g packets of bulk powder. It is made by Baxter www.baxternutrition.com for more information. It's hard to find, but is is available. If you have trouble contact me I own my own pharmacy and can get it. Also you can buy glutamine in health food stores, but the largest I have found is 1g capsules so you would have to take 10 3 times a day.

I'm not sure about b6 I thought it could interfere with chemotherapy.
kevinlv
Keep Strong, Keep Hope

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”