Surgery Next Week, Questions

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
lauragb

Surgery Next Week, Questions

Postby lauragb » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:18 pm

I will be having surgery next Tuesday for rectal cancer, a colo-anastomosis along with a temporary ileostomy. I will also have a hysterectomy at the same time because one of my uterine fibroids is pressing on the rectum which would make the tumor surgery too tricky. The surgery will be open so I know I'm in store for extensive recovery time following it. I recently read a thread on here by another person who asked lots of questions about what to expect and I found the info helpful. I have a few more questions I'd like to ask about the hospitalization and going home.

First of all though, I want to know if anyone else has had both of these surgeries at the same time?
Did anyone have their ports used for IV access?
What should I take to the hospital?
Is there any use for underwear or PJ bottoms or is there just too much going on down there? :/
Does anyone have any advice on how to manage a four hour car ride home? (I'm thinking pain level and dealing with the ostomy bag...)

I would appreciate any advice or info anyone would like to share. Obviously, as surgery gets closer, I am more apprehensive. Sure a lot of mountains to climb for this cancer.
RC 3B 7/2011 @ 53
Chemoradiation 5 weeks 8/11
LAR-Hysterect-temp ileo
pCR, 0/23 nodes
Folfox 1/12, Xeloda 2/12 to 5/12
Reversal 5/12
SBO,lysis of adhesions 12/12
NED 11/12, 11/13, 6/16

BrownBagger

Re: Surgery Next Week, Questions

Postby BrownBagger » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:35 pm

You might want to bring a comfortable change of clothes or two in addition to what you wear when you go in. You're going to be sore when they discharge you, so something like loose slacks or sweat pants and a sweatshirt would be good. Nothing tight-fitting because of the wounds & ostomy. Most hospitals take care of your attire while you're admitted. No point in bringing your own for that.

A four-hour ride is going to hurt, especially the bumps. Fortunately, they're pretty generous with the pain meds following this kind of surgery, so my advice is to just get comfortable and get doped up. You'll enjoy the ride.

As to draining the bag--you might need to for a ride that long. Ask the nurses or doctors to give you something to slow down your digestive system until you get home. The narcotics are pretty good at that, but they might have some weapons grade stuff that is guaranteed to work. Doesn't hurt to ask. If you have to stop once or twice to drain, it shouldn't be a problem--as long as you've practiced a few times before being discharged. It's not especially hard or messy, but you need to know what you're going--especially if you're in a rest stop rest room or some other public facility.

Good luck!

PS - If all goes well, you should be pretty much all healed up from the LAR in about 5 or 6 weeks.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:43 pm

lauragb wrote:I will be having surgery next Tuesday for rectal cancer, a colo-anastomosis along with a temporary ileostomy. I will also have a hysterectomy at the same time because one of my uterine fibroids is pressing on the rectum which would make the tumor surgery too tricky. The surgery will be open so I know I'm in store for extensive recovery time following it. I recently read a thread on here by another person who asked lots of questions about what to expect and I found the info helpful. I have a few more questions I'd like to ask about the hospitalization and going home.

First of all though, I want to know if anyone else has had both of these surgeries at the same time?

I didn't have rectal resection + hysterectomy. I had rectal resection + a failed liver resection, also open. It was a pretty intense surgery, and probably the one for which I had the most stitches and toughest recovery. It was also my first of three abdominal surgeries.

lauragb wrote:Did anyone have their ports used for IV access?

YES, and it made things SO much easier. If your hospital will use your port, definitely ask for that. They did also occasionally draw blood from an arm vein during some of my hospitalizations, but the nurses by and large were thrilled with the idea of using my port. ;)

lauragb wrote:What should I take to the hospital?
Is there any use for underwear or PJ bottoms or is there just too much going on down there? :/

I didn't have much use for underwear while IN the hospital due to things like urinary catheters, some urinary incontinence, drains, etc. The hospital provided Depends, and after a few days I sent my brother for some Depends briefs (which were more comfortable.) Bring a pair of underwear to wear home - but also be prepared that they might send you home with a urinary catheter, which will make conventional women's underwear problematic. Men's boxers might be roomier and work better.

This is a link to a thread about what to bring to the hospital. For future reference, it's linked as a post in the Terminology sticky thread at the top of the forum. My advice? Travel as light as possible, and don't take anything into the hospital that you can't put in a ziploc to take home, disinfect/keep clean while in the hospital, keep safe while there, will worry about keeping safe while there, or leave behind so you don't bring hospital germs home. YMMV.

lauragb wrote:Does anyone have any advice on how to manage a four hour car ride home? (I'm thinking pain level and dealing with the ostomy bag...)

My advice would be to take the train - you can get up and walk around, even rent a sleeper car so that you can lay down if needed. If that's a possibility, I'd consider it. Sitting for four hours on a bumpy car ride wasn't something I could do within two weeks of surgery - and my doc wouldn't even approve that length of sitting travel until four weeks after surgery. Can you fly? Would that be shorter?
Be in harmony with your expectations. - Life Out Loud
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
2/11 recurrence R lung, spinal bone mets - chemo, RFA lung mets
4/12 stopped treatment

Grammie

Postby Grammie » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:53 pm

I did not have both surgeries at the same time (hysterectomy in 2006 & resection w/temp illeostomy March 2011), but like others have said comfy loose clothing to wear home and 4 hours would be a long ride/time without having to empty bag. So, perhaps doctors/nurses will have some advice.
Endometrial Cancer Stage 1(dx 12/2005/hysterectomy 1/2006)
Rectal Cancer Stage 1 (dx 11/2010 & 3/2011 - LAR, Coloanal Anastomosis w/diverting loop illeo)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”