metastisized to lymp node

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
witchydlm

metastisized to lymp node

Postby witchydlm » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:32 pm

did surgery chemo and radaition in 04 now found cancer in lymph node in my neck have to do more treatment. I had luke and 5fu before and now they say have to do a port first and am gonna do fol fox. thru me off when he said had to start with port etc and had a brainfreeze and didnt ask all the questions I needed answered. he did say had to do 2 treatment a wk. does anybody know if he means a mth or every week? hard to get in to see him have to wait untioo the 4th but it's been driving me nuts any info would be great I always feel so ignorant but I have to know the right questiones to ask
thanks
debbie
one day at a time

michele

metastisized to lymph node

Postby michele » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:58 pm

Witchydlm,

Iam on Folfox right now. I just got disconnected from treatment number 4 today. My treatments are every 2 weeks. I go in the day before for lab work to be sure my blood counts are good. I have had some trouble with my platelets (they help your blood clot) being low and had to have one treatment postponed by a week.

Then the next day, I am there for several hours. The first day is the longest. They will premedicate you with IV (into your port) nausea meds and maybe some other stuff. I get Magnesium and Calcium gluconate to help decrease the peripheral neropathy that can com from the Oxaliplatin. Folfox is a combo of your previos 5fu/leucovorin/Oxaliplatin. The Oxaliplatin has the unusual side effect of making you unusually sensitive to cold (touching and drinking). Do not drink, eat, or touch any cold things for about 5-7 days from each Oxaliplatin treatment. This can be a nusiance, since I prefer cold beverages. You will also possible need to wear some gloves to get things out of the fridge and freezer.

I hope I didn't ramble on too much. But, that is how my folfox is going. I also have Avastin added 2 treatments ago. They may suggest adding this to you since the lymph node is so distant from the original site.

Take care and God bless. I am glad you joined the site and hope you will find the support you need here.

michele
Diagnosed Dec 2005 stage 3C
LAR Dec 2005
Mom finished chemo for stage 3B Jan 2006
I had chemo Feb 2006-Aug 2007
Currently NED

Dot

Postby Dot » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:27 pm

Hi Witchydlm;

My husband is on Folfox 6, (Leucovorin, 5FU, Oxaliplatin) and the other drugs Michelle mentioned. He too has a "portacath" in his right upper chest. That really is not too bad. It allows these strong drugs to be administered into a large vein. They can numb up the area before putting the IV needle in. At least with a port you can shower when you are not hooked up to treatment. He gets his treatments every other week. We go in on a Wed morning for lab work, then see the Doc, then if lab work is OK he gets hooked up to his treatment. Takes about 4 hours or so. He then gets hooked up to a 46 hr infusion of 5FU. The medication pump fits into a "fanny pack" and he comes home with it. We return on Friday to be disconnected. So far, so good. 9 rounds of treatment and no new growths and there is shrinkage of the liver tumor (he also gets a drug called Avastin that affects the blood supply to the tumor).

At the hospital we go to, we get a simple form to fill out each time. It asks: Questions for the Doc, prescriptions that need refill, pain status, etc. You should sit down before your next appointment and write down your questions so you won't forget.

Hope this helps.

PS This is the best web site I have found to connect with others. This is my support group.

Dot

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”