Barium and stomach pain/obstruction?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
beth568

Barium and stomach pain/obstruction?

Postby beth568 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:59 pm

Had a CT scan at 11 am. Now, at 3, I am having nasty stomach pain. Just talked to my doc who says it might just be the barium, but if it starts to get worse to head in to ER.

His anyone experienced this? I would think its an obstruction, but I've also had lots of diarrhea. Maybe the pain is related to that.
Beth
dx @age 42, Jan '11 RC, T2or3NxM0 (stage IIIA/IIIB)
6 wks chemorad Feb - Mar '11
LAR 5/23/11, staged T2N1bM0 (2 of 15 nodes positive)
8 rounds FOLFOX, June-Oct. 2011
clear scans Nov '11, May '12, Nov '12, May '13
http://www.mysemicolon.net

weisssoccermom

Re: Barium and stomach pain/obstruction?

Postby weisssoccermom » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:31 pm

Beth,
It could be a myriad of things. Barium isn't known to be particularly 'gentle' to the GI tract for one. Secondly, a nasty flu bug is going around. Couple the beginnings of that with the barium and you could very easily have the makings of one unpleasant experience.

I would think the CT scan would have given some info if you had an obstruction - honestly, that wouldn't be my first thought & not one, considering the CT scan that I would worry about.

Jaynee
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

beth568

Postby beth568 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:50 pm

Turns out it was just big time gas pain, coupled with the barium's forceful evacuation from my system. That was a very unpleasant hour in the bathroom. :oops: Now my stomach feels better, but my poor rear end...

My bum has been subject to so many indignities and discomforts over the past ten months. Guess I'll see if there is an alternative contrast agent I can drink next time.
Beth

ams5796

Postby ams5796 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:38 pm

Beth,

I can't tolerate barium at all. In fact, when I have a CT at my local center (and at MSK) I request not to have barium and they give me a clear liquid (can't remember what it's called). I do so much better with that. I won't even go into the gross problems/accidents I've had with the barium.

I'm glad you're doing better.

Ann
Stage 3C (or 4?) Rectal Cancer 01/07
2/10 lung mets
3/11 VATS
6/11 VATS
7/13 lung met
2/14 SBRT
NED 8/14
5/17 scan and MRI found treated spine met

Bob_Weiss

Postby Bob_Weiss » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:48 pm

When I had my first CAT scan using barium, 3 hours after the procedure I had terrible abdominal pain which was relieved when I had a large bowel movement shortly thereafter. It was like severe diarrhea; thank God I was near a bathroom. Now my oncologist writes a note directing the technician to inject iodine instead. It produces no notable symptoms.
Stage 3 R/C -1 node+ ( 7/09)
5 wks radiation, 2 wks chemo: 5FU (8-9/09)
Rectal surgery: tumor removal (11/09)
10 rounds Xeloda: 3000mg/daily 1 wk on/1 wk off (1/10-6/10)
Supplements: Aspirin, Calcium, Vit. D3
03/27/17: 7+ yrs. since surgery--still NED

justin case

Postby justin case » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:12 pm

Beth, I assume this is the scan you have been wiating for, any good news yet? I hope things go as you would like, well wishes, and good thoughts headed your way :D
Warm regards,
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:39 pm

beth568 wrote:Now my stomach feels better, but my poor rear end...
Stomach=1....Butt=0..... -> take it as a win, anyway !
beth568 wrote:My bum has been subject to so many indignities and discomforts over the past ten months.
You know I am NOT going to take this setup line, for any price...but you owe me one !

Seriously, very glad things worked "out" :shock: and that colicky gas/pain/spasm is NOT a nice feeling....and there are a number of oral contrast choices (and flavours), but to get the coating action they will tend to have a similar consistency. I would definitely let the docs know your reaction this time and see if they can improve it for the next scan.
(( FYI the oral contrasts and the injectable contrasts are really complementary as to what they detail in the scan...the docs may or may not want to change the type...or alternatively ->....they can also use both at once. ))

Many Cheers for good results
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

jmarie
Facebook Username: Jessica Ramos Smith

Postby jmarie » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:03 pm

Barium always caused me rediculas gas. One of the times this last summer that I had a blockage and went in to the ER with horrible abdominal pains the contrast completely cleared me out. They gave me a yellowish-clear contrast in two-1 liter bottles right before a CT scan to dx the cause of the pain pressure and with in an hour the blockage was gone.
DX Stage IV 11/25/08
mets liver lung, kras mutant
Baby 2yrs old! I am 32yrs
Too many chemo txs to count
trying to find a clinical trial
"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

sg101

Postby sg101 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:28 pm

I found that the only 'up' side to have my ileostomy was that I could get away with one rather than two of those nasty bottles of barium. The one time that I had the oral contrast when I was still in one piece (prior to surgery), I had horrendous abdominal pain and almost immediately had to go dashing to the bathroom (before I even had the CT scan!). Apparently that is an unusual reaction - many people actually get constipated from barium. Never a problem for me! For my last two CT scans I had to have oral contrast, IV contrast AND gastrograffin squirted up from below - now THAT was fun :mrgreen:

Glad you were able to relieve your worries about possible obstruction, and that this is behind you (sorry about the pun but I couldn't resist!) :wink:
T2N1 RC DX 9/2009 at age 47, mom of 2 young kids
6 weeks 5FU/rad 10/2009
LAR/TME temp ileo - complete response 1/2010
8 cycles FOLFOX 3/2010
Abscess due to 'microleak' 8/2010, 1/2011
Leak repair 4/2011
Ileo reversal 7/2011 (finally!)

Georgie
Facebook Username: Georgie Adams

Postby Georgie » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:53 pm

There are a few different types of oral contrast for CT. In Australia they rarely use Barium as a CT oral contrast (that is reserved for barium swallows, an Xray procedure to look for obstructions or transit time information), they use the yellow-clear liquid JMarie mentioned. I have also had (at Peter MacCallum Cancer Institute - a huge cancer only hospital in Melbourne) a clear almost tasteless oral CT contrast, which was BRILLIANT! It tasted like slightly thickened water and had minimal effects on my bowel. Other CT's I've had have been in private practice (where I used to work until I changed jobs 15months ago ironically!) and where I had my surgery (I chose to not have the surgery in the cancer hospital) and these places all use the yellow-clear liquid which really clears you out!

There is also a barium like white drink that is sometimes used (though not as often in Aus as it costs more!). Definitely something to ask both the onc and the radiographer about - often when it comes to scans, the techs who do them know more than the onc about the options available and their impact on the scan quality, as they do it everyday! (Yes, I speak from personal experience, the amount of patients I have scanned who have said to me "but the doctor said...." only for me to say, "Well, they are very good at their job, they know which test to refer you for and what the results mean but often do not know the finer details of the scan..."

Never hurts to ask, that's my threory. I have no problems answering questions patients may have, and if I don't have the answer I direct them to a person who will. I also asked LOTS of questions myself, of all my doctors and friends who work in the field, knowledge is power!

Georgie
Nuclear Medicine/PET Tech
Stage 3 T4N1M0 Rectal Ca diag 1/11 at age 29
Clinical trial (chemoradiation) 12 wks incl FOLFOX
Surgery 14 June '11
Post op infection
Iliostomy reversal 12 Sept '11
NED 6 years!
2017 Stage II Breast cancer triple positive
BRCA2 mutation
Bilateral mastectomy, chemo, herceptin

beth568

Postby beth568 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:31 pm

Wow, thanks everyone - it helps to know that I'm not alone here and that I wasn't overreacting. I'm going to ask my docs (and the imaging techs!) about alternative contrast media next time. Funny, because I've had the barium a few times for scans before this and never had any problems, but today was not fun.

Michael, yes, this was the scan I've been waiting for. Won't have results until I see my onc on Tuesday. Thanks for the good wishes!

Oh, and one funny moment from all this. As things were starting to, um, work their way out, I was hiding up in my bedroom. I guess the air in there wasn't so fresh, because my 10 year old daughter walked in, made a face, and said, "Mom, I think maybe an animal died inside the wall!" :oops: When I explained that it was probably just me, she was, of course, quite amused, as any kid would be, and went running downstairs to tell the rest of the family NOT to come anywhere near Mommy for a while. Sheesh.
Beth

Georgie
Facebook Username: Georgie Adams

Postby Georgie » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:53 am

Beth that made me laugh! Thankyou! I too have had many episodes of bad gas - especially since my iliostomy reversal! My partner has told me he had to put the fan on because of my gas while sleeping.... I laughed and told him at least my body knows when I'm asleep what is poop and what is fart!
Nuclear Medicine/PET Tech
Stage 3 T4N1M0 Rectal Ca diag 1/11 at age 29
Clinical trial (chemoradiation) 12 wks incl FOLFOX
Surgery 14 June '11
Post op infection
Iliostomy reversal 12 Sept '11
NED 6 years!
2017 Stage II Breast cancer triple positive
BRCA2 mutation
Bilateral mastectomy, chemo, herceptin

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”