NG Tube and Catheter - Pain for LAR? Advice please

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Re: NG Tube and Catheter - Pain for LAR? Advice please

Postby Bev G » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:37 pm

This is so weird that I can't remember if I had an NG tube after my colon resection or liver resection. I would think I would have had one after the liver resection, as it was a very long open (way open) abdominal surgery. It helps that I'm always completely amnesic for three days after general anesthesia :D .

Anyway, just speaking as a nurse, if anyone has to get and NG while they are awake, it may help if you ask your nurse to put the first 6 or so inches of the tube in a cup of ice before inserting it, and second, remember, even though you won't feel like it, to swallow, swallow, swallow while it is being put in. Ask them if you could have a few tiny sips of water while they are putting it in. This makes it significantly easier to get the tube down, and will distract you in the process. Taking any of these tubes out should really be no big deal. The catheter has a balloon that it inflated after the tube is inserted (which is what keeps it in the bladder), once that balloon is deflated by your nurse, which is done by aspirating from a tube within the tube, the catheter will basically fall out on it's own. Easy-peasy. NG tube removal? Count backwards from 10 slowly--the tube will be out long before you get to ten. JP drain, same deal. You'll do fine! :D

Best of luck,

Bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

pstolarski
Facebook Username: Paul.stolarski

Postby pstolarski » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:03 am

I had a catheter which was put in while I was under for my right hemicoloctomy. Had no pain when it came out and it was quick. Weird thing was one or two times later when I urinated, I had air come out :shock: . That was really strange! I told the nurse and she said that it happens sometimes.
Colon Cancer - DX 5/7/09 Age 42 - Right Hemicolectomy
DX: Stage IIA - T3N0M0 0/31 lymphnodes, poorly diff adenocarcinoma
Genetics testing: Negative
Started Folfox 7/22/09
Finish Folfox 12/24/09 8 rounds of Oxi

greens

Postby greens » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:38 pm

Any of the males here found catheter in penis painful.

Obviously dont feel anything whilst inssertion takes place but if you are not awake how do they know its reached the bladder?

Anyone found it painful passing urine through the catheter?

The bit Im really worried about is having the cateter removed...how much fun is having a tuce removed form up your ....

Or am I focussing on the wrong thing?

Best wishes

Charlie

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:02 pm

greens wrote:Any of the males here found catheter in penis painful.

Obviously dont feel anything whilst inssertion takes place but if you are not awake how do they know its reached the bladder?

The bit Im really worried about is having the cateter removed...how much fun is having a tuce removed form up your ....

Greens, I'm not quite sure how it's possible to focus so tightly and with such concern on the parts of the surgery and treratment process that are, frankly, the least consequential.

No, you won't feel a catheter being inserted, and your docs will know it's in the right place because they use tools to visualize the placement (and it's not their first day.) Urinating through a catheter is seldom even noticeable, much less painful. Yes, removal is uncomfortable - for about a minute.

And in the big picture, are you "focusing on the wrong thing(s)?"

What do you think?
Be in harmony with your expectations. - Life Out Loud
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
2/11 recurrence R lung, spinal bone mets - chemo, RFA lung mets
4/12 stopped treatment

HildaC

Postby HildaC » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:02 pm

beth568 wrote:I was quite worried that I would have a NG tube, but I didn't. I think many docs will try to avoid them if possible.

I can also tell you that the removal of the JP drain was no big deal. No pain at all, just a really odd sensation as it was pulled. It was over within 5 seconds.

Can't speak to catheter issues for you, as I'm not male. ;). I had no trouble with mine.

Same here, 100%.

PGLGreg

Postby PGLGreg » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:17 pm

Best wishes

Charlie

I see, reading above, that Gaelen thinks it inappropriate to focus on your penis. Well, she should worry. A few years ago, I happened to find myself in the ER right next to a guy who was having a catheter inserted. He was bellowing in pain, so I think insertion can be trying. My catheter, though, was inserted when I was anesthetized, so no problem. I had one in for 9 days, and there was no pain at all, and no pain at all when it was finally removed.
Greg
stage 2a rectal cancer 11/05 at age 63
LAR 12/05 with adjuvant radiation+5FU,leucovorin 1-2/06
NED for 12 years, cured

waw4

Postby waw4 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:48 pm

Best wishes
Charlie

Charlie,
No problems for me with insertion, use while inpatient, or removal as outpatient.
(Now the removal of urethral stents I didn't like at all.)
You will want to keep the insertion point clean with a wash rag and warm water.

I was overly concerned about the bag's location when getting up or into bed, but I never experienced any pain, about which I had been apprehensive.

My guess is the catheter and NG tube are going to be among the least of your concerns.

Best wishes with it all!
Bill's Colonoscopy 6/29/10; Dx Stage I or II
Surgery 7/15/10; Dx Stage III,15/32 lymph nodes
FOLFOX4 start 9/14/10; end 1/20/11 (9 tx)
2021 dx MSH6 Lynch Syndrome positive
(as are my brother, sister & son, but not daughter)
Grateful for 2nd Chance NED time!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”