Trip to the ER for Constipation??? How Embarrassing!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Trip to the ER for Constipation??? How Embarrassing!

Postby NWgirl » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:34 pm

I can't say this last trip was an official blockage, or at least the ER doc wouldn't say that - just constipation. So, yup, I spent the last 24 hours in the hospital loaded up on dilaudid, Compazine, Zofran and lots of Miralax - which may just be my new favorite drug (Miralax that is). I can't believe how agonizingly painful constipation can be!!!!!! I tried my dilaudid in pill form at home but it wasn't touching the pain. Even in the hospital I kept having to ask for more dilaudid through the IV to control the pain.

On top of the constipation, turns out I have a UTI, which the ER doc said might be aggravating my other symptoms. So antibiotics for that - oh joy. Do antibiotics cause constipation? I can't remember. It's the chemo - good ole 5FU that does this to me. Usually I can stay on top of it but for some reason it was extra bad this time around. I got my pump disconnected at noon on Friday and went straight from the chemo center to the hospital ER (per oncologist's orders).

Well, next round is when I switch to Xeloda - hoping that both the nausea and the constipation will be more managable under the new regimen. I could use a serious break from all this crap.

P.S. - Bev - you're not the only one whining today! :lol:

P.S.S. - I meant to mention, the ER doc (who is now 50) said he was diagnosed with stage 3 rectal cancer at the age of 35. That should make me happy and inspired and it does; just thought I'd share that with you all.
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

Seriously, WTF?

Re: Trip to the ER for Constipation??? How Embarrassing!

Postby Seriously, WTF? » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:13 pm

Just read your post to Mike, he was like Yeah, okay constipation this!! LOL He said those pains suck!!! He is glad you are feeling better. Hang in there!!
ALWAYS IN MY HEART!
5/7/2013

ams5796

Postby ams5796 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:25 pm

Gosh, Belle, nobody would believe the stuff we go through. You're right constipation is painful and embarrassing. I ended up admitted to the hospital this past summer due to constipation. I pulled out my surgical stitches straining to have a BM after VATS. That was really embarrassing. I have been constipated for five years since dx! (And NEVER before dx)

I don't feel like people in the real world get it at all. I was out with a couple of friends the other day who were asking me how I was doing. I was trying to gently and discretely explain some of my issues without getting too graphic. It was so hard to explain. They thought I should talk to my doctor. Haha, why didn't I think of that?? I've only told any doctor or nurse who would listen to me over and over to no avail.

Anyway, I hope you're feeling better!

Ann
Stage 3C (or 4?) Rectal Cancer 01/07
2/10 lung mets
3/11 VATS
6/11 VATS
7/13 lung met
2/14 SBRT
NED 8/14
5/17 scan and MRI found treated spine met

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:42 pm

Belle, antibiotics usually cause diarrhea in these parts - so did Xeloda :( and the pain meds - oral or iv - constipate and make existing constipation worse.

I know the ostomy is still new enough to be a factor in this. In the beginning I relied on 3x daily dulcolax but then would need immodium to balance, and it would always overcorrect. But some advice I got from my SIL (the nun-WOC nurse) was to let my diet help regulate me as much as I possibly could and try to wean off the OTC stool softeners and anti-diarrheals as much as possible.

It took some patience - a couple weeks - but now I take as little OTC stuff as I can possibly get away with, and use the foods I react to for their best qualities. I do take one stool softener (generic dulcolax) in the morning and one at night for the 1st couple days after chemo (5FU is constipating, so is Erbitux.) But I also use non-medication things - heat, abdominal massage, drinking warm broths, ice cream, molasses cookies (w/a hit of ginger, too), prune juice, coffee, fats will all loosen me up. Rice, cheese will both tighten me up. It really didn't take long to figure out what foods produced which effects and which had no effect.

Paying attention to what non-medical elements helped me regulate mean that I'm a lot less dependent on OTC stuff (and their overcorrections) for regulation. I don't eat cheese or rice the 1st 2-3 days after chemo, and I don't eat ice cream the last 2 days of my cycle. And things are mostly pretty predictablle.

Hope you're feeling better.
Be in harmony with your expectations. - Life Out Loud
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
2/11 recurrence R lung, spinal bone mets - chemo, RFA lung mets
4/12 stopped treatment

Peteswife

Postby Peteswife » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:50 pm

Hi,
Sorry to hear about your constipation issues with your new stoma. Pete is also on Xeloda, and he has had no constipation or very bad diarree. This past year he actually didn't had problems, with either. And it is almost a year now that I give him as part of his daily medicine Probiotics 9 (1 caps morning and evening). I just thought as he has CRC, that can not be bad. Even now with the Xeloda, we open the capsule, and get the powder on his tongue, and and before he swallows it, get it around all over in his mouth. Then swallow with a glass of water. He never had CRC returning in his colon in 8 years. And it also helps for the thrush that can develop in your mouth from the Xeloda. He also uses the mouthwash of salt (iodine free as he is allergic to that), with bicarb or soda. And then also the Lysine tablets. At this stage his worst side effect is the mouth sores. Uses the udder cream, and others over the whole body to keep it hydrated. But no problems with diarree of constipation as long as he stays on his 1 Probiotix 9 strain capsule twice daily.

We also buy him the ready made chicken livers or ox liver from the stores that sell ready made food here. The onco nurse told us to keep the White blood count up he must try to eat a lot of liver. Gross if you thing he already had 2 liver operations to remove tumours, but if we buy it already prepared, we try not to think of it as liver. He never had problems with white blood in all his bloodworks. In think in 8 years, only once. And then he ate the liver, and then never again.

All the best, I hope you get in your new routine.
Lots of love
Ilse
(Pete's wife)
After 8,5 years living with CRC, Pete passed away on 17/4/2012. We had lots of quality time, we said our goodbyes! I am at peace because he doesn't suffer anymore! He is now better off with the Lord! We will surely miss him very very much!!

Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Postby Terry » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:59 pm

Your like me, everything constipated me (except ironetican). You better stock up on miralex (I love it too) because I know for me, Xeloda constipated me. I hope it doesn't you, but it sounds like you have the same problem I do. Do you eat prunes? I never did, couldn't stand them but tried them not long ago and they weren't bad. They had some cherry flavor prune and it was pretty good. You may want to get some and use the miralex when you start the Xeloda.

That is great that your doc has beat this for the past fifteen years:) That always lifts my spirits to hear cases like that.

Most of the time antibiotics give you diarrhea (even me), especially augmentin. They probably gave you cipro, it use to be the most common one given for UTI's. That one you may not get diarrhea from. Everyone is different anyway. Hopefully you won't have to much trouble with whatever one they give you.

Get well soon!
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

Deirdre

Postby Deirdre » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:05 pm

Hope u feel better soon.
Daughter of loving dad, dx Stage IIIC Mar 10
Resect Apr 10. 1 lymph nodes positive
Heart history has ruled out treatments
NED to date!

Surroundedbylove

Postby Surroundedbylove » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:15 pm

Wow Belle - sorry to hear of the troubles. I hope things improve for you soon.

SBL
Surroundedbylove

Rectal Cancer @ 43, '08
Clinical: T3,N2a,MX (IIIB)
6 wks XELOX & radiation
LAR, colonic j-pouch, & temp ileo '09
Surgical: ypT3,ypN0,ypMX (0 of 20 nodes)
FOLFOX; XELOX
Ileo Takedown ‘09
LARS for 10 years before learning it is finally being studied
InterStim Sacral Nerve Neuromodulator 2019

Icesk8tr

Postby Icesk8tr » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:33 pm

Belle,
I hope you are feeling better and the UTI heals quickly.
Christine
Stage IV CC 2010

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:13 pm

NWgirl wrote:.... I could use a serious break from all this crap....

WEELLLLL !!! with Xeloda "more" crap --->>>> as in soft stool / diarrhea is more likely than constipation,.....so please be careful.

I agree with Gaelen : managing your diet and fiber/laxative meds will eventually get you on the right track.
Miralax ( Laxaday / Restoralax up here ) IS the go to med for me, and the colace/dulcolax/doxidan/surfak types meds added when needed.
"Better living through modern chemistry" as justsing used to say !

ABx's more likely to give the diarrhea effect, so while treating your UTI, expect things not to be 100 % manageable (depending upon the exact ABx)... BUTT..things will get better when you are through the post-surgery / ABx stage.

"Dont retreat...Reload Belle :mrgreen: "

Cheers and I-Fives
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

michelle c

Postby michelle c » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:27 pm

Sorry to hear this Belle....no fun at all!!

Great story about the ER doc...being a survivor that is. Thanks for sharing this.

I truly hope that your next treatment goes much better for you...here's to less side affects!

Take care
May 25 2009 Dx with CC (sigmoid colon) 2 days after my 44th b'day
CEA prior to surgery 4.7
Jun 3 2009 LAR - Stage III 3/10 lymph nodes
Jul 6 - Dec 10 2009 - 12 cycles FOLFIRI
Genetic testing - inconclusive for Lynch
Jul 2012 port removed & hernia repair

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Postby SkiFletch » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:06 pm

NWgirl wrote: I could use a serious break from all this crap.

RIMSHOT!

Seriously though, constipation sucks, hope Xeloda is better for you Belle
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

jmarie
Facebook Username: Jessica Ramos Smith

Postby jmarie » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:01 am

I am also a huge fan of Miralax, even though I don't have on ostomy. One of the reasons I love it is that since it is in a powder form you can adjust the dosage. When I was first dxd I had uncontrolable diahrea, but when I started tx I would get constipated. If I took a full dose I would overcorrect and be miserable with diahrea, so each night I lessoned the dosage a little bit until I had normal BMs. For a long time I just took 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of Mirilax a night and that was enough to make sure everything kept moving without causing diahrea.

I am glad you are how and comfortable, I wondered the last time I was in th ER why dilaudid via IV worked so much better. I take 2mg at home and it doesn't touch the pain, I go in and get it via IV and Qmg takes all the pain away. The IV does where off rather quickly, its only down side.
DX Stage IV 11/25/08
mets liver lung, kras mutant
Baby 2yrs old! I am 32yrs
Too many chemo txs to count
trying to find a clinical trial
"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

Mona
Facebook Username: maria kucharek

Postby Mona » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:14 am

Give Belle break please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I also suffer from constipation, and Miralax is not working on me. I try many things, but I am constipated most of the time. I hope you feel better.
Much Love,
mona
At age 46 DX 7/21/10 Stage 4 colon cancer with mets to the liver.
8/10 Folfox 6 tx
11/10 Colon/liver resection 1/29 nodes
12/10 Folfox 6 tx, NED
3/11 chemo done
11/11 recurance liver
12/11 liver resection/Hai pump
01/12-07/12 Fudor/Folfiri

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:15 am

Belle,

I'm so sorry you are having problems. I've had some constipation problems in the past and yes they are PAINFUL!!! I hope you are feeling better soon. Take care of your self. I'm thinking of you.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”