Right hemicolectomy fears

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
lisaCC123

Right hemicolectomy fears

Postby lisaCC123 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:04 am

Hello everyone,
I posted on here a few weeks ago with a question regarding right-hemicolectomy vs subtotal colectomy for Lynch syndrome. I had a lot of helpful replies and after much research and soul searching I decided to opt for the right hemicolectomy and continue with yearly scopes. I supposed it's important for me to clarify that I don't have colon cancer at this time, just a small pre cancerous polyp. I have, however, had endometrial and ovarian cancer, both which were successfully treated over 6 years ago.
I'm now 41, in good health, slim, fit etc etc. I'm truly dreading having this surgery, particularly as I don't feel unwell, but at the same time I realise I am fortunate to have the choice, such as it is!
My surgery is scheduled in 2 weeks and will be done laparoscopically. My question is simply this ... Can any of you guys who've had this op give me any reassurance that life will return to normal afterwards? I've never had any trouble with my bowels and I'm fearful about that changing. My surgeon is dismissive of my worries and I believe he is an excellent surgeon, but still I'm having palpatations just thinking about it! It took me a year to recover from my hysterectomy (although that was a massive open incision followed by chemo) and I have fought hard to put all that behind me. I've recently started a new romance with a gorgeous sweet man and I'm planning on applying to do an MA in art next year in Cornwall in the UK (where I live). Life is on the brink of being so good again. Don't want to mess it up!
Hope everyone is good. Some of your posts have given me much inspiration. I guess we're all just normal(ish) people in abnormal situations!
Cheers all :) Lisa

pstolarski
Facebook Username: Paul.stolarski

Re: Right hemicolectomy fears

Postby pstolarski » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:45 am

Lisa,

I had a right hemicoloctomy done laproscopically. I was scared at the time more about what they would find as mine was to remove a tumor. It went very smooth for me. Within a few hours I was up and walking. By the next day I was drinking some liquids and by the third day I was eating a soft diet. Within about two weeks I was eating fairly normal and healing well. For me if you look at my stomach you can not see my scars (I have help from some hair :D ). Probably the worst part was the stomach muscles took a little time to heal. I hurt when I laughed or coughed.

Today, more than 2 years later I have no issues. I know it can be scary but with a skilled surgeon, you will be fine. Try to not worry so much, it is not as bad as you thnk.
Colon Cancer - DX 5/7/09 Age 42 - Right Hemicolectomy
DX: Stage IIA - T3N0M0 0/31 lymphnodes, poorly diff adenocarcinoma
Genetics testing: Negative
Started Folfox 7/22/09
Finish Folfox 12/24/09 8 rounds of Oxi

lisaCC123

Postby lisaCC123 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:26 pm

That's really, really good to hear, thank you so much. I remember when I was diagnosed with womb and ovarian cancer, I was afraid of the surgery but MUCH more afraid of what they would find in there. Everything is about perspective. Ultimately, having this surgery now will spare me a whole world of trouble later down the line but I can't help but be fearful. It's yet another leap of faith off into the unknown! Thanks again for sharing your encouraging story and I'm glad to hear that you are healthy now 2 years down the line. Apart from my scar I sometimes forget what I went through six years ago. It's like a crazy dream!!! Oh, and it's good to know that the keyhole scars will be minimal! I am a female after all and despite my existing scar I have quite a decent looking abdomen!!! (Not hairy!!! hehehe!) :D

Bussman

Postby Bussman » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:35 pm

Lisa- odds are you'll be just fine after the right-hemi and able to live a completely normal life. I had a laproscopic right-hemi in Feb 2011 and was back to work in 2 weeks, and feeling pretty normal soon after that. Like pstolarski said the recovery from surgery isn't that bad, barring any complications of course...which should be unlikely, especially since you are fairly young and fit. I finished chemo (FOLFOX) in mid-August, and am living a normal pre-dx life in terms of activities and diet, and w/out any bowel issues that affect daily living :D. Good luck, you'll get through it just fine!

Pete
1/21/11 dx CC @ 53
2/09/11 rt colon resect
0/18 LN; 4 tumor dep.
stage IIIB T4a N1c M0
3/11- 8/11 - 12 FOLFOX tx
6/11, 12/11 PET/CT scans- clean
1/12 follow-up scope - clean
6/12, 12/12,6/13 PET/CT scans- clean
NED

disco nap

Postby disco nap » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:48 pm

I had a right hemi and I'm good as new. Regular function returned almost immediately, and I have no bathroom issues whatsoever.

In the beginning, I did have some dull pains if I ate too much fibre, but that has resolved itself.

I can eat and drink whatever I want, and I'm very active.

Onward and upward!
DX July 2 '10 CC Stage IIIC, 11/18 nodes+
Right Hemi July 6 '10
Folfox: Aug 17'10 - Feb 17'11
Mar 2012: Lynch Syndrome MLH1
"Declared well" and been well ever since.
Update: Jan 2023 - still NED.

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Postby SkiFletch » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:51 pm

I had a right hemi initially as well and can confirm what everyone said. It's surgery, no doubt, but recovery is pretty fast, and your bowel function should return to normal. I had a little constipation after surgery from the pain meds, but outside of chemo treatments, my bowel function has been entirely normal since then. Nice, formed, regular poop on a wonderfully predictable cycle. The fear of the unknown is very real Lisa, and don't be afraid to engage your wonderful friend Ativan if you need to, but you're going to be fine :)
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

JAZZToo

Postby JAZZToo » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:04 pm

I had a right hemicolectomy for colon cancer in 2003. It was not done laprascopically, but with a regular incision from just under the bra line down to the lower pelvis. Bowel function returned to normal soon after the operation, and I have not had any problems with it. The scar from the operation is barely visible. Only problem I had after surgery was a hernia, but by having a laprascopic procedure that won't be a problem for you.

Leslie
Lynch Syndrome PMS2 mutation
2004 ADH 5 years Tamoxifen
2003 Colon cancer of the cecum stage III 2+ nodes, Right hemicolectomy with gallbladder and appendix removal; 6 mos. bolus 5FU and Leucovorin.
1995 Endometrial cancer Stage I TAH BSO

lisacc123

Postby lisacc123 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:41 pm

Thank you all so much for your replies. It really means a great deal to be able to come onto a forum like this and get so much support from such kind peeps :) skifletch, I will definitely bear in mind the ativan suggestion, although I do find a nice single malt (or 3!) also does the trick quite nicely ;)
By the way, I'm still figuring out how to use this site. I think I've added a signature but my attempts to add a nice smiley photo have so far tragically failed! (Something to do with the size of the file, leading me to wonder if I simply have an unusually large head!!! :o )
Lisa
Lisa
Endometrial & Ovarian Cancer '05 aged 34
Hysterectomy '05
6 rounds of carboplatin
NED
Lynch Syndrome
Prophylactic right hemicolectomy Oct '11
Recovering quickly from surgery and enjoying life :)

lisacc123

Postby lisacc123 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:48 pm

Leslie,
I have read some of your posts with interest as I see you have a similar history to me. I, like you, have decided to opt for a right-hemi rather than a subtotal and it's good to see you're doing well several years later. I guess we just have to keep going for those oh-so-wonderful scopes (or up-the-bottom-oscopies as I fondly refer to them! ;) ) Life sure is an adventure!
Lisa
Hysterectomy '05
6 rounds of carboplatin
NED
Lynch Syndrome

KimT

Postby KimT » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:57 pm

I will not give you the details of my first hemi colectomy so as not to frighten you. I had a very rare complication in that I had an allergic reaction to the metal clips used in the first surgery. I had another resection a year later. My surgeon removed the clips and took another 6-8cm of bowel and reconnected. My second surgery was a breeze as I had no complications. I took exactly 6 doses of morphine after surgery. 3 the first day after surgery and I really didn't need it after that but I asked for it at night to help me sleep as the bed was terrible and everything hurt when I climbed in it. During the day, i sat up in the chair, or walked all over the hospital. I even left the hospital to walk to the 7-11 next door to buy some juice. My second surgery was done without an ng tube and I would advise you to fight that one with your doctor. Although I had a rare complication, I am convinced that ng tube the first time made my pain a hundred times worse. My first surgery was done in the US and the second in thailand. In thailand, they are not used routinely in lower GI surgeries. My surgeon there said they have found them to increase pain in patients, delay healing and pretty much serve no purpose. I was also allowed to have coffee, tea, and water before I passed gas. I do believe that doctors in the US have to practice medicine in self defense and it's a shame. The doctor and nurses in thailand pretty much left me alone unless I needed something.

Good advice for any surgery. Get up and moving as much as possible. Walk several times a day. Sit up during the day. Take your pain medicine so you can get moving. No shame in needing some pain medicine after surgery. I had an abdominal binder the second time and it was a huge help in keeping me from using those ab muscles too much after surgery. Always follow brownbaggers 3 rules for getting what you need in the hospital. 1) Don't be a pain in the ass 2) Don't waste their time 3) Cooperate I am a nurse and I can say this the most brilliant thing a patient has ever said.
2/10 dx colon cancer
right hemicolectomy 3/19/10
Stage 2a 0/43 nodes
Lynch syndrome
3/14/10 colon resection/ removal of metal clips
Nov 11 dx ovarian cancer

mymaria

Postby mymaria » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:43 pm

Hi Lisa-so many similarities between us! I was 43 when diagnosed with uterine cancer. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy (the BIG cut) followed by radiation. The hysterectomy was a tough recovery that took several months. Four and a half months later, I'm diagnosed with colon cancer. I too have Lynch Syndrome. I elected to have a right hemicolectomy vs. the total colectomy. I had 24 inches of my colon removed. It's been nearly two years since the hemicolectomy, which was done laproscopically. Let me tell you-having had the huge cut for the hysterectomy, the other surgery was easy compared to that! I was out of bed within 12 hours and walked the hallways several times the next day. I was actually discharged on a regular diet 48 hours after surgery. For the most part, my bowel function is perfectly normal....some diarrhea here and there, but no big deal. Get up and about as soon as you can and that will help with the healing process. Keep us posted!
Endometrial cancer stage 1B grade 3, July '09 age 43
34 negative l.n.
Radiation Aug. and Sept., '09
Colon cancer T3N0M0, grade 3, Dec. '09
54 negative l.n.
Modified Folfox 6 regime started Jan. 12, '10
Stopped after 3 rounds Feb. 9, '10
Lynch Syndrome

Ashlee H.

Postby Ashlee H. » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:46 pm

I had a right hemi...and lots of other things since the 2+ year I was DX. I can say, as of today, I can basically eat whatever I want without a problem The only thing I've stayed away from has been popcorn because of the stories I've heard on this board. I eat fruit, veggies, etc. Sounds like you won't be having chemo, so you should be back to your old self fairly quickly...especially since you are having it by LAP - you will be sore, but nothing like if they had to cut your stomach muscles.
Stage IV w/liver met dx 7-1-09
KRAS Mutant
Member of the HIPECKERS (2011) and OLYMPHIANS (2012)
2/14 - standard chemo has stopped working
3/14 - Stivarga
LIVE LIFE!

lisacc123

Postby lisacc123 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:13 am

All good advice, thank you :)
I am a very well behaved patient (apart from any attempts to escape! haha!) so hopefully the nurses will be nice to me.
Kim, here in the UK we now have what is called an 'enhanced recovery programme'. This wasn't in place when I had my hysterectomy so I'm curious to see how things will compare. Apart from having my resection done keyhole, I believe that there is no bowel prep, no NG tube and no drain. You are also allowed to eat up until 6 hours before the op and drink until 4 hours before. Afterwards, they have you drinking and eating asap. They also have you up and about asap! All this sounds like good news to me. I was very dehydrated when I had my hysterectomy and felt horrible for days afterwards (although I was only in hospital 4 days) so I am tentatively hopeful that this will be easier on the body. I plan to be outta there at the first opportunity! Also, I believe my surgeon doesn't use staples, either inside or out. I'm very prone to skin allergies so Kim, your problem with the metal clips did catch my attention. I'm sorry you have had to go through so much for such an avoidable complication.
I shall let you know how things go. Thanks again.
Lisa
Lisa
Hysterectomy '05
6 rounds of carboplatin
NED
Lynch Syndrome

lisacc123

Postby lisacc123 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:15 am

Oh, and I've always hated popcorn, so no great loss there! ;)
Lisa
Hysterectomy '05
6 rounds of carboplatin
NED
Lynch Syndrome

barbara jayne
Facebook Username: Barbara Allenhttps://www.facebook.com/barbara.alle

Postby barbara jayne » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:38 am

Hi Lisa from another right hemi here :D
I had my surgery in Jan 08 due to colon cancer,first surgery in my life "terrified " :shock:
Had it done on the Thursday (very painful around my ribs) but had one of those morphine buttons to click whenever i needed (can't remember the technical name :roll: ) only needed it for a day or two, just paracetamol after that !
came on leaps and bounds after that, was allowed clear soup which got the plumbing started up again :wink: and I walked as much as I could, just strolled around the area I was in,corridors aren't the most interesting of places but better that staying in bed :lol:
My scar was incredibly neat and barely visible now, it was stitched not stapled.
I left hospital the following Tuesday so 5 days in all.
I walked a mile around a lake exactly 3 weeks after my surgery and I eat now about the same as I did before my surgery.
My problems began when I started my chemo (severe allergic reaction) :roll: which is another story .
But I've always thought if I'd have just had the right hemi I'd be exactly the same as I was pre-surgery!!!
Good luck with your surgery :)
Please let us know how it goes BTW have you been tested for Lynch Syndrome ?

Barbara x
DX. Colon Cancer (Cecum) stage 3
Right hemicolectomy Jan '08
2/22 L.nodes positive
Oxi and Xeloda
Xeloda discontinued
due to DPD enzyme deficiency
Lynch Syndrome
13 years NED
Facebook user name,
Barbara Allen https://www.facebook.com/barbara.allen.927

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”