Reccurence

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
John

Reccurence

Postby John » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:10 am

Hello,
I was wondering if anybody knows when colon cancer is most likely to recur. I was diagnosed with CC about 13 months ago. It was a sigmoid tumor (T2N1M0). 1 node positive. I have not had a Cat Scan being that my oncologist thinks it should only recur in the sigmoid if it does. I have had a couple of Colonoscopies and they were all clear. Being that I am 1 year survivor. Is that a crucial time within the first year for a recurrence or is it most likely to recur the next couple of years. I cant find any stats on when it could come back year to year.

Thank you all for your help

ASTEPHENS33

My understanding

Postby ASTEPHENS33 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:33 am

It my understanding the cc recurrance usually occurs 18 month to 5 years after diagnosis, so you should continue to be checked. Higher areas of reocurrance are the site where the surgery was and the liver.

Fishy

Postby Fishy » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:18 pm

hey john, i've read/heard that late stage (3 adn 4 ) will most like reoccur between 12-24 months. i'm not trying to scare you, but i think you should be on the safe side and ask for a cat scan. i had a clear colonoscopy and four months later they found two 6 inch tumors on my ovaries. the doc didn't want to do a cat scan till 6 months after i finished chemo, which was a bad idea in my case. when the cancer came back, it wasn't on my colon at all anymore, just the ovaries and abdominal area.if they can put you though two colonoscopies, then there's no reason NOT to have a cat scan.
Jenny Fish

John

Postby John » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:50 pm

Thank you Fishy. That doesnt scare me. My oncologist well know. He successfully treated some pro athletes. I am very early stage 3. I actually have better odds then Stage 2. Since it would have been Stage 1 except for the lymph node they consder me early. I have no highrisk factors and my oncologist gave me an 89% chance survival. I have verified this with some survival calculators on colon cancer. He said he never gives a Cat Scan for my particular stage and until a while after. He had no problems. I will eventually have one but not anytime soon. I thank you for your comments. I may request one for peace of mind.

There are also reports that show Surgery alone for my particual stage has a high cure rate. Its proof that Stage 3 is not a death sentence.

Thanks again all.

also stage III

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:47 pm

I'm in almost the same situation -- Stage III sigmoid T2N1Mo. I have had both a CT scan and a PET scan after finishing 7 of 12 chemos. I now have only four to go. Both scans came back totally clear -- but I have also heard that the highest recurrance rate occured in the 12-24 month range. Also....my doctor said about 85% cure rate also. Those numbers sounds pretty good -- but I would sure like the 100% number even more!

John

Postby John » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:12 am

Hi Guest,
How many nodes were positive with you.

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:08 pm

John,

Welcome to the Colon Club!

Recurrence is such a nasty word but one in grained into the minds of those affected with this nasty disease. Clinically I have been advised that recurrence is most likely within the first 36 months. I was dx with stage IV. The statistic given to me was no where near 85%. I assure you. I am 31 months post diagnosis and each petscan brings on a flood of emotions. The most important thing you should remember is to focus on the positive. Remember ALL things are possible.

Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers!

Hugs!

Holly

Qin

Recurrence and Erbitux

Postby Qin » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:53 pm

I am so grateful and relieved to find this colon club. I am a stage III colon cancer survivor with 5 lmphy nodes involved. I was diagosed sigmon colon cancer one year ago and had been through 9 cycles of Chemo therapy (Folfox 6 plus Avastin). I did not finish the whole 12 chemo as i was supposed to since no medicine can boost up my white blood counts. Except that, I feel nothing wrong in my body. But unfortunately, one and half months after my last chemo, i had a CT/PET. They find 4 nodules in my left lung. By that time they were too small and the SUV of the biggest one (standardized uptake value) is less than 2, so my oncologist was not sure that it was my cancer come back. Last Thursday, I just found out my second CT/PET result, the 4 nodules are growing bigger quite fast and the SUV is 2 now. My oncologist now is 99% sure that is my colon cancer recurrence. He is suggesting me to take Ertibux and Avastin once a week. But i heard that the response rate is only 25%. I am afraid I am not going to be the lucky minority. But I don't want to give up either. I am only 38! What should I do?

michele

recurrence

Postby michele » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:08 am

Qin,

I say fight with all you have if you can tolerate the treatments. Keep a positive outlook. My mom just finished treatment for stage 3 with 3nodes involved 2 weeks before I started my chemo for stage 3 colon with 4 nodes involved. She had Folfox. I am currently getting Folfox plus the Avastin like you did. I just had the Avastin added on treatment number 3 due to wound issues after surgery.

I am so sorry to hear about the lung mets, but I would not give up. I have been watching this site and another and have seen so many positive stories of strong people that fight their way through this demon. I will pray that your doctors and you will come up with the right plan for you. Please keep us posted.

michele
Diagnosed Dec 2005 stage 3C
LAR Dec 2005
Mom finished chemo for stage 3B Jan 2006
I had chemo Feb 2006-Aug 2007
Currently NED

Ron50

Recurrence

Postby Ron50 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:35 am

Hi John,
I was dx with stage 3 ca of the descending colon . My surgeon described it as frightfully aggressive and of the 13 nodes he removed 6 were positive. He always warned me that in his opinnion the first 18 mos were the most critical particularly for recurrance at the site, I had 48 sessions of 5fu and some shockingly sickening stuff called levamisole. I had scans after surgery and every 6 mos for two years. For whatever reason I am positive ! that I don't die of cancer. There are just some things in life that you just know and this has been one of them . I really believe that the first step to survival is to decide to survive. I'm well passed that first step ,I've been clear for over 8 years. Good luck John I wish you the same good fortune that I have had. Ron.

Qin

Reccurrence

Postby Qin » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:29 pm

Thank you, Michele. I am going to fight back! Take good care of yourself and your mom! May God bless you!

witchydlm

positive lymph nodes

Postby witchydlm » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:36 pm

they said that i had 12 outta 16 lymphs positive so how bad is that?
one day at a time

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”