DEPRESSED TO THE MAX!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
joY

DEPRESSED TO THE MAX!

Postby joY » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:21 pm

Went to start my radiation therapy to-day and was told blood count is way tgo low come back bext week.Tnis was disappointment #1

Disappointment #2 oncologist is going to take me off oxiplatin --- I've only had 2 rounds but when I told her about the high temperature 38.8 she says that it might not be possible for me to continue because I obviously had some kind of "reaction".

I'm really bummed at having to stop with only 2 treatments under my belt I really wanted to go the whole treatment because I felt that it gave me a better chance of long term cure.

oh well - guess it wasn't ment to be!!

Will continue on 6 weeks of radiation with 5FU starting next week---then what???

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:39 pm

Hang in there Joy!! We are all right here with you. Low blood count is very common so don't get all upset over this. My White Count was too low once and I had to skip a week of treatment too but it didn't hurt a thing. Maybe your body just doesn't need the oxiplatin. People have done just great without it in the past so just go with the flow girl!! It will all be ok. Just keep positive, smile and take one day at a time. Do everything they tell you to do and listen to your body. You did the right thing by telling your Oncologist about the Temperature thing!!! No two bodies are the same when it comes to Chemo Joy. Keep that in mind and know that the Chemo is going to still KICK BUTT ok!!??? We all love you and are praying for you. Smile Smile Smile!!!! :lol: :D :)

Peg (Sweet Peg) Sorry this program won't let me login while at work!! :x

michele

Depressed to the max

Postby michele » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:07 pm

Joy,

Hang in there. My count was too low after 2 treatments of Oxaliplatin also and had to skip a week. I was discouraged since this was so early in the treatment. My mom just finished her chemo for the same cancer (stage 3 like me-bummer huh) and she was only able to take 6 total treatments. I am getting ready for number 4 this week if my counts are okay, but the oncologist told my mom that some people only are able to tolerate one or 2 treatments and still recieve benefit from them.

One of my chemo buddies only got 3 treatments. She is happy to be off the Oxaliplatin since it has all the neuropathy stuff. She feels much better physically with the treatments since being off. She is also stage 3 and only 34. I am 39.

We are all in here with you and praying for you. The 5fu is pretty powerful stuff. There also may be other options you could try if you ask the MD. Tell him your concerns. That is what he is there for.

My prayers are with you.
michele
Diagnosed Dec 2005 stage 3C
LAR Dec 2005
Mom finished chemo for stage 3B Jan 2006
I had chemo Feb 2006-Aug 2007
Currently NED

Tallgirl_5_11

Postby Tallgirl_5_11 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:51 pm

Hi Joy,
I am a 37 year woman with stage 4 colon cancer. I had 11 treatments of Oxoliplatin and they were not fun. After my 2nd treatment of the stuff, i could hardly walk, my legs and arms cramped up and i was limping. My oncologist decided to lower my dose by 20%. Maybe yours can do that as well instead of taking you off of it completely. After my treatments I had surgery in October 05 on my liver and colon. I was off chemo for 6 months, but it started growing in my liver again. So i am now on round 2 of chemo. Not taking oxoliplatin this time, which is nice so I can drink cold water, pop and icecream. I hated heating up my water and lemonaid in the microcwave to make it warm.
Hang in there, there are other drugs out there that work. Just keep a positive attitude and kill those cancer cells with your mind!
Take care,
Lynn

sue

don't worry

Postby sue » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:48 pm

Joy,
I was taken off chemo all together for three weeks when I had a scar tissue bowel obstruction and had to have surgery.
I worried myself to tears, but my oncologist said "This is of no clinial consequence" There is a lot of overkill with these treatments.

They will figure out what is best for you. I think the 20% reduction sounds logical. I have known others who have done that too.

Hang in there. Sue

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:05 pm

I was only able to only to tolerate 4 of that treatment. I am ned at this point I remember practically begging my oncolgist to give me more after a break and he said no there is a fine line he said on when is to much everyone is different
I am doing fine at this point.. I hope the best for you also good luck

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”