Hair Care

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
judkoe

Hair Care

Postby judkoe » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:20 am

I'm currently on 5-FU and Leucovorin once a week. I know that hair loss is not a side effect. Does any one know if a chemical treatment (either a perm or hair color) will react differently or not at all during chemo? My stylist couldn't answer and I'm not sure I want to take the risk without knowing what might happen. This seems like such a minor thing in the scheme of things but I think it's important to look your best even if we don't feel our best!
Judy K.

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:18 am

Hi and welcome to the Colon Club!! I have very little hair loss and had perms and color during my treatments. It didn't hurt anything at all. The perm actually gave my hair more body so you couldn't notice the hair loss at all. It was just thin in places is all.

Stay positive, keep smiling, and hang in there!! You will do just fine!!

Peg

drmrgirl47

Postby drmrgirl47 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:04 pm

Hi,
I also had Leucovorin and 5FU. I had very little hair thinning, but did have some. I continued to dye my hair. My oncologist said to do what I wanted; he didn't see any great harm in doing it.

judkoe

Postby judkoe » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:00 pm

Thanks to both of you for your replys. I finally decided to ask my oncologist today and he said not to perm because of the possibility of burning my scalp. I am already experiencing extremely dry hands and feet - esp. around my cuticles. They recommended Aquaphor but I find that to be awfully greasy. Anyone else have a product they recommend?
Judy K.

ASTEPHENS33

Topicals for Dry Skin

Postby ASTEPHENS33 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:52 pm

I'm on Xeloda (oral form of 5FU) and have constant hand and feet issues. From a naturopathic doctor, I was told about chlorophyll and calendula. From my onc, I was told about Udderly Smooth. I have experimented with them and others and find that the above three really work the best for me. (I'll sometimes do one foot with one thing and the other with another and see.) I also sleep without sox if its not too messy as the air seems to help.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”