Colonoscopy scheduled for Tues, 3/28

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
july181998

Colonoscopy scheduled for Tues, 3/28

Postby july181998 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:12 pm

although I've had 6 colonoscopies, I'm always nervous about having a scope, because I've had polyps to show up on all of my scopes. My family has a history of colon cancer, and I am just happy that I took the first step, even though I am a polyp grower (that's what I call it). As I was talking to my manager, and another co-worker (my age, mid 30's), I found out that my manager's husband had a colonoscopy, and my co-worker has a colonoscopy every year because she too has a family history of colon cancer. I really posted today for some support, and inspiration. For some who have read my other post, you know that I lost my father and sister to colon cancer. By the way, I'm taking the Visicol & Dulcolax tablets, has anyone used this combination as a prep?

Please keep me in your prayers,

July

Dana

Good luck

Postby Dana » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:18 am

Hi,
just wishing you good luck on your colonoscopy. Let us know how it goes (mine is in 2 months and am already terrified)
A huge hug
Take care
Dana

july181998

Postby july181998 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:29 pm

Dana,

Thank you sooooooooooo much for replying and the words of encouragement. I will keep you posted.

July

maggie

Postby maggie » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:05 pm

Hi!
I feel your pain...and fear for your impending colonoscopy. They stink and are scary, especially if you've had cancer or a history of cancerin your family. But if you have them regularly, even if the worst case scenerio occurs and you do have cancer, you will most likely be catching it at an earlier, and very curable stage. Just keep being proactive about your health and you'll be fine!!! Good luck!!!
Maggie

july181998

Postby july181998 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:42 pm

Maggie,

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I will keep you posted and let you know the results of my scope.

July

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:27 pm

July,

Welcome to the Colon Club!

As a stage IV survivor, I am so proud to hear that you are being proactive in the management of your health! Way to go and I hope you will update the Colon Club on the Colonoscopy!

Hugs!

Holly

july181998

Colonoscopy Update

Postby july181998 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:47 pm

Hi Holly & Everyone who replied to my posting:

Well I had my colonoscopy on yesterday (my 7th), and yes, I had some more polyps. Afterwards they showed me what they looked like. They were extremely small, I pictured them differently. I had one in the sigmoid colon and the rest were in my rectum. They actually put them inside a small container. I should have my results in a week or so. I'm assuming my GI doc didn't seem too concern, for he didn't come and see me in recovery. Is this good or bad? Do you think that if my doc was suspicious of the polyps, he would of came to see me? I know that this is definitely hereditary. It scares me, but at the same time, I know that if I continue to keep an eye on it (yearly scopes), I should (will) be fine. Everyday, I just hope and pray that I am cured of these polyps, and think of my children and what they might have to go through. Again, thanks for checking in with me.

This board is awesome. Look forward to hearing from everyone soon

colleen

Postby colleen » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:23 pm

:P
Last edited by colleen on Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dana

Congratulations

Postby Dana » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:51 am

Hi July,
soooo pleased about your colonscopy. Now you can relax.
I bought the sachets to prepare that horrible liquid yesterday (I know mine is scheduled in may but I'm an early starter and can't take my mind off it) and I hope all be well. One of my aunts has had hers done and they found polyps so I guess it's a family thing. They didn't give her anything to sleep just asked if she wanted sedation, she refused and felt everything (ouch) and watched her polyps being removed on telly.
In italy it's all free if there's family history and our medical system isn't that bad apart from a serious lack of politeness from nurses.
Bye and best wishes to your sister
Take care
Dana

Dana

Sorry

Postby Dana » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:58 am

I must say I'm sorry for writing best wishes to your sister, I was reading a post from a girl whose sister had been diagnosed and while I was clicking the send button I realised my mistake and remebered about your father and sister. I guess it's my lack of sleep and stress that has all come to me after losing mum. Sorry.
Dana

july181998

Postby july181998 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:57 pm

Hi Dana,

Thanks and don't apologize. I am relieved, but at the same time, I've been in contact with a genetic counselor here in Chicago to have the test done to see if I carry the gene. This will help me in my future treatments, along with my children. Although I'm completely stressed about all of this, I have faith that I will be ok.

Again, thanks and let me know how your scope goes in May.

July

Ron50

Postby Ron50 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:04 am

Hi July,
I too have had seven scopes in 8 years ,unfortunately my first one discovered stage 3 colon ca. I have had polyps removed on at least three occassions. My orig ca was very aggressive so they have been doing the scopes annually. It is not a pleasant prospect but it has resulted in all of the polyps being benign. If you stay vigilant and maintain regular scopes I'm sure you will have no problems ,best of luck Ron.

july181998

Postby july181998 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:40 pm

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your words of encouragement. Although having a colonoscopy every year its definitely worth it. I continue to research this deadly disease and I continue to have faith that one day there will actually be a cure for colon cancer.

Good Luck,

July

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”