Nausea Relief

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Michelle

Nausea Relief

Postby Michelle » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:35 am

I'm overjoyed!! It's practically a miracle!!! I want to share my experience with you so that if you're experiencing something similar you might benefit from this: I've been through one eight-week round of oxaliplatin, leucovorin and 5FU; and I just finished a 28-day cycle of radiation with chemo (5FU) the first five days and last four days. It made me very, very sick. I was constantly nauseous and had terrible diarrhea for weeks! Before every chemo treatment I was given kytril and decadron. During my last two decadron injections I got very sick. The doctor decided to eliminate the decadron. I had four chemo (5FU) treatments this week, sans the decadron, and I have NOT been sick at all!!!

It seems that in some people decadron can cause nausea and diarrhea. And I was one of those people. It's just amazing that I've had chemo all week and instead of lying in my bed and rushing to the bathroom every 20 minutes, I spent the morning at the gym lifting weights!!

I am so thankful for the relief and it is my hope that I might help someone.

Love and prayers to everyone suffering the effects of treatments and cancer.

Michelle

Goofydad

Decadron

Postby Goofydad » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 am

Michelle,

My wife has been through this a lot, too. She thought, and was right, in that Decadron made her sicker, and she got a shot before her chemo treatments as well. She requested not to get that this round, and instead they have been giving her 125 mg Solu-Medrol IV before the chemo. It's working, as her nausea after chemo is less intense (I'm able to drive her home without having to pull over so she can become ill) this round.

Basic rule; the doctors don't have ALL the answers, and the patient will remain the strongest advocate. If you believe a drug is not working properly, and everyone metabolizes medicines differently and women differently than men, ask..ask...and ask again. There are other meds.

Thanks for your good news and keep living hard!
Pressure - It can turn a lump of coal into a flawless diamond, or an average person into a perfect basket-case.

Dekadron

Postby guest » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:15 am

I'm also having trouble with dekadron. Apparently it causes my blood sugar to go very high -- and I am not diabetic. I also think it makes me feel sick, so now I will try to talk to the doctor again. She didn't think I should stop taking it. I also think it causes me to break out in a rash, but the doctor keeps telling me it's not the dekadron. I'm glad someone else thinks that this drug causes some problems. I have finished 8 rounds of chemo.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”