Any suggestions on meds for bone pain due to mets/radiation.

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
jmarie
Facebook Username: Jessica Ramos Smith

Any suggestions on meds for bone pain due to mets/radiation.

Postby jmarie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:29 pm

I am starting to have some bone pain in my right shoulder that they just did the cyberknife in. This goes from the top of my shoulder, and shoots down my arm to just above my elbow. If I lift anything over about 15lbs it feels like my arm is just going to snap. I was told this was to be expected a week or two after tx but my current pain meds are not helping with it. I am currently on Fentanyl 25mcg, Lortab 10 and Dilaudid 2mg for breakthrough pain. For usual bone pain I would take ibuprophen, it doesn't seem to be doing much. Is there a better pain med for bone pain? Or should I ask for them to up my fentynal patch for a while? I am trying to keep the morphine as low as possible so I am not too loopy.
DX Stage IV 11/25/08
mets liver lung, kras mutant
Baby 2yrs old! I am 32yrs
Too many chemo txs to count
trying to find a clinical trial
"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

Sleetster

Re: Any suggestions on meds for bone pain due to mets/radiat

Postby Sleetster » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:42 pm

I have no idea how this would work on bone pain from radiation, but Claritin works well for bone pain caused by Neulasta. The bone pain is from two very different causes, so who knows if it would even come close to working? I figure it's at least worth a try.

David
David
5/09: Stage 3B
6/09: L hemicolectomy
7/09-12/09: FOLFOX
2/10: CT; NED
2/11: CT; 3 lung spots
3/11: biopsy; lung mets; Stg 4
3/11: PET; liver & abd. muscle mets
3/11-8/11: FOLFIRI
10/11: Liver wedge & abd. tumor exc.
2/12: 6 more rounds FOLFIRI

jmarie
Facebook Username: Jessica Ramos Smith

Postby jmarie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:03 pm

Claritin for bone pain? That's interesting, how does that work and how did you figure that out?
DX Stage IV 11/25/08
mets liver lung, kras mutant
Baby 2yrs old! I am 32yrs
Too many chemo txs to count
trying to find a clinical trial
"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Postby SkiFletch » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:26 pm

If it's histamine induced inflamation, Claritin could indeed help. So would benadryl, but that would mean nap time. Jess, have you tried any other NSAID's? Naproxen or Aspirin?
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:16 am

Claritin has been used for pain in the marrow from Neulasta injections, which I am not sure is a factor in what Jess is dealing with, but you could ask your docs ????

THE "go to" NSAID IMO is Toradol...BUT your docs won't just deal it out, without a fight..usually. It is very potent and your kidneys have to be in good shape, and only by injection....BUT the only one which worked for me when I needed the big guns.

Jess you already have a number of opioids on board with the Lortabs, Dilaudid and Fentanyl. Adding a stronger NSAID is a good balanced approach, and upping the Fentanyl could also give you enough comfort...please discuss all these options.

Other meds which might be considered are some of the lesser pain killers, but those which work on different pathways : gabapentin, Tramadol, pregabalin, amantidine, methadone....BUT your docs will have to balance any of these with what you are on, and what you may be getting put on with any treatments. There are some which cannot be used together.

Just some ideas to kick around, while stayin' strong !
Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

KimT

Postby KimT » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:05 am

I second the toradol. Best pain med ever. Works better than narcotics for me. It does come in an oral form but usually an injectable loading dose is given first, then followed by oral meds. You can also increase your narcotics. Really the sky is the limit when it comes to narcotics. As long as you are not having breathing issues it's ok to keep increasing it. I know you have breathing issues but the issues caused by too much narcotics is excessive sleepiness and then suppression of breathing. You probably have built some tolerance to narcotics since you have been on them for awhile.
2/10 dx colon cancer
right hemicolectomy 3/19/10
Stage 2a 0/43 nodes
Lynch syndrome
3/14/10 colon resection/ removal of metal clips
Nov 11 dx ovarian cancer

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”