What meds to stop before colonoscopy?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
CBLACK

What meds to stop before colonoscopy?

Postby CBLACK » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:41 pm

My husband has strep throat and is on Amoxicillin since yesterday. His colonoscopy is scheduled for this Friday. I was wondering if any of you were instructed to stop certain meds before the procedure. He is also on coumadin for his port. Please give me any info you can. Thanks.
My Husband was Dx with Stage III @ 26yrs old
Finished chemo March 2007

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:25 pm

If your doc hasn't told you what to do for prep then get on the phone Monday morning and ask him or whoever is going to do the job. I am surprised they did not give you any advanced info ?????

Let them know ( or remind them ) about your husbands currents meds, ALL of them, including any dietary suplements or herbals or "alternative" meds he may be on. write them dowm and take them to the appt. too, just to be safe.

WHY ? there are a huge number of drug interactions possible with any of the above medications and especially with the anti-coagulants which increase the risk of bleeding with procedures ( ASA, coumadin/warfarins, fish oils, herbals, NSAIDS and others that irritate or ulcerate the intestinal lining )

hope all goes well.
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

pantherfan

Postby pantherfan » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:43 pm

I would think since he is taking an antibiotic the docs need to know this. I have developed colitis twice as a result of taking antibiotics. They may elect to reschedule the colonoscopy until he has finished his meds.
Stage II colon cancer. Surgery 1/2/07. Finished chemo September 2007. 19 total treatments
http://mcharping.blogspot.com/

betsydoglover
Facebook Username: Betsy Lindh Williams

Postby betsydoglover » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:57 pm

Hi - I don't know about the antibiotics, but it is standard to give up aspirin for 1 week, NAIDs such as Advil for about 4 days, Coumadin and similar drugs for about 5 days and also things like Vitamin E (which would include fish oil). Many docs also want you off all "herbals" for a week before the procedure.

The GI doc should have given you a prep sheet with info about the prep including drugs and foods to avoid in the days prior to the procedure.

Give the doctor a call on Monday - he/she may well want to reschedule.

Take care,
Betsy

bradyr

Postby bradyr » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:03 pm

yes -please call the doctor and ask them this - not telling the doctor about ALL of the meds you are taking before a medical procedure is one of hte major reasons for serious outcomes.

We're not you doctor and we don't know what other medications your doctor may administer during the procedure and what drug interactions they may have with what your husband is taking.

that is an accident waiting to happen. You should always remember to talk to your doctor (or his nurse) and tell them all the over the counter and perscription drugs you are taking.

please do this as soon as possible, before the procedure.
bradyr
DX 2/07 mets liver/bone/brain/spleen
Foxfox/avastin 3-6/07
bone mets 5 times
xedada 9-7/07
Folfri 1-6/07
GammaKnife brain lesion 1/08
SIRT Spheres rlobe 7/08 llobe 8/08
cyberknife brain 10/08
Brain surgery 1/09
Vebctibix 1-4/09

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”