Colon cancer in your twenties?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Sarah

Colon cancer in your twenties?

Postby Sarah » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:29 pm

I am 22 and last November I was diagnosed with colon cancer - i believe stage II - my ascending colon was removed and i am now undergoing chemotherapy with Xeloda and Capecitabine. The reason I am writing this is because at the age of 22 the last thing i expected was to be diagnosed with cancer. At no age is this diagnisis good but i can't help but feel hard done by for being so young. Is there anyone who has a similar experience because it would really help to know that i'm not alone?

Lakshmi

Postby Lakshmi » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:31 pm

Hi Sarah,
I am sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis, and can imagine how hard it must be for you..
You are right, colon cancer in the twenties is not common. It may be helpful for you to understand whether there the cancer can be explained by heredity. There are some forms of early-onset colon cancers that can run in families. It may be helpful for you to understand more about this. Go to www.nsgc.org to find a genetic counselor in your area who can be of assistance, or talk to your oncologist about referring you to one. They can also help you find appropriate support resources.
Hope you feel well soon...Take care
Lakshmi

Traybug

Postby Traybug » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:38 pm

Hi Sarah,

I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis of stage II colon cancer. My brother was diagnosed with stage IV last September 05. He is only 31. They say the cancer was probably there and growing for 3-7 years so it apparently started when he was in his twenties.

It is definately a raw deal no matter what your age, but I think you feel really cheated when you are so young. My brother has a wife and one year old daughter and never expected to be dealing with something so serious at this point in his life.

Be thankful that your cancer was found fairly early. Stage II is an earlier stage. Chemo will stink, but it isn't forever. Just know that you are not alone and you can do this. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other!

Best wishes,

Tracey

DONNA N.

son diagnosed at 24

Postby DONNA N. » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:00 pm

Sarah I was reading your post about having cc at such a young age,my son was diagnosed feb.2004 with stage 3 cc,he went through 6 months of chemo. and seems to be doing fine, he has his days of having low energy but he is back at work and him and his wife just had there 4th child in oct.
he also has kidney stones and diverticulitis :cry: but he has a very good attitude towards everything , with help and support from our family,friends and our DEAR GOD ABOVE ,we will beat this terrible disease!good luck and may god bless!

Brad

Postby Brad » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:35 am

Hi Sarah,
Colon Cancer happens. (modeled after the more famous saying) I was 27 when I was diagnosed with stage IV. I look at it as a blessing. I don't know that I would have had the strenght to fight like I did If I was 60 when diagnosed. Try not to feel down. Cancer messed up when it picked you. You are young and strong and you WILL win!

Best Wishes
Brad

Maggie

Postby Maggie » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:40 am

Hi Sarah,
Yes, you're correct, colon cancer doesn't happen very often in your 20s. I was 21 when I was diagnosed with Stage I. I was really lucky to be taken seriously by my doctors and my cancer was caught before it could spread. I have considered genetic testing, but can't seem to decided whether I think it's worth it (not to mention my insurance won't pay for it). Some of my family members have had pre-cancerous polyps, but the type of cancer I had was so rare, that I don't really know if there is any connection.
I have to agree that getting the news you have cancer is never easy, but when you are young, you don't realize how fragile your life is and would never imagine it could happen to you. When you are faced with your mortality, things change completely. I grew up a lot faster than I ever anticipated. I am very lucky that it was caught early and I haven't had any reoccurances (It's been almost 5 1/2 years). Anyway, if you feel you want to talk ever, feel free to email me at mags1161@aol.com
Good luck with everything!!!!!
Maggie

djsmith1@AOL.COM

20's and Colon cancer

Postby djsmith1@AOL.COM » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:54 am

Hi Sarah;

My youngest son began his battle with colon cancer 7-04. He was 22 at that time. Stage IV (liver and lungs mets). He has had 2 surgerys and 2 different rounds of chemo (20 sessions). We just met with the doctors to begin a 3rd round using Erbitux. He was beginning his senior year of college. I would recommend this web site and go on with life. Ben has continued taking some classes, working part time and going to the gym. It is a bump in the road, not the end of the road. Attitude and Hope. Try not to let the devil mess with you and get busy.

Christine

Postby Christine » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:12 pm

I was diagnosed last summer with Stage IV at the age of 28. There is nothing fair about it. I have recently started seeing a psychologist who deals specifically with cancer patients and she has been helping me deal with the anger and other feelings that come with this diagnosis. I've also found a couple of support groups locally that are made up of young adults (20's and 30's) who have been diagnosed with various cancers. It can be really helpful to meet others in the same situation to know that you're not alone.

Christine
http://coloncancersucksass.blogspot.com

Michelle

Postby Michelle » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:50 am

Facing our mortality is hard. It's not something we're prepared to do in our youth. I wonder if we're ever really prepared?

I was 38 when I was diagnosed with Stage II T3 and I have three little girls. I was extremely healthy: didn't smoke, low-fat diet, didn't drink, worked out hard and had no family history of cancer. I thought I was on a path to an active life until at least age 100 - I really believed that.

Not only is it difficult to consider the possibility of death, but it's hard to face an unknown enemy. I struggle so much with the fact that we don't know what caused the cancer and that unknown stirs a lot of fear of recurrence.

We have to try to stay positive but we're dealing with very difficult issues and I've learned that I really need professional help. At first, I thought my positive attitude would get me through this but it wasn't working so well. So I took advantage of the free counseling offered at our cancer center. It has really helped. I've also talked to a lot of people who were helped by support groups. Unfortunately, there really aren't any support groups for young people in my area so I haven't been able to benefit from that.

Seek advice, learn as much as you can and please be open to talking to a counselor who has experience with cancer patients.

Love and Prayers,

Michelle

Fishy

Postby Fishy » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:37 pm

hi sarah,i was first hosptialized only three weeks after graduating college and a few days into my honeymoon. just when life was suppose to be starting, everything fell apart. it's been almost 4 years, and i'm still fighting stage iv. it's been hard, but there is always things to be happy about and enjoy. don't worry, though, stage ii is about 90 percent curable, you will be fine. you will appreciate life after chemo so much more than you ever did before.this is a roadblock that will make you a stronger person. you are not alone in being diagnosed so early. check out www.colondar.com. good luck to you.
Jenny Fish

www.colondar.com

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:13 am

The Colondar Site is at www.colondar.com no dot after com

Molly
Site Admin

Postby Molly » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:47 am

Hi Sarah-

I was diagnosed on my 23rd birthday, and while statistically they say it happens more often with age, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen to us youngsters. (I just turned 30, so I have to keep telling myself that I'm a youngster.) I had no family history, but every symptom in the book. Doc wouldn't test me because of my age...and did you know that in your lifetime over a million people will be diagnosed with colorectal cancer under the age of 50? Guess it's not so uncommon afterall.

I was finally diagnosed with stage II. Best thing that ever happened to me was meeting other youngsters like myself...because they understood what I was going through and didn't tell me, "It's going to be okay," like everyone seems to do.

You're going to get through it...because you have to. Doesn't feel like it now, but someday you'll look back and feel blessed.

xo,
molly

Cindy

Colon cancer in 20s

Postby Cindy » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:55 pm

My son was diagnosed with stage IV a month after his 21st birthday. He had been complaining for months about not feeling well, but our family doctor and a doctor at his "Big 10" college were treating him for "stress."
Our family has absolutely no history of colon cancer ...

My best advice is to stay positive and seek the best medical care possible.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you

susanz

colon cancer in your twenties?

Postby susanz » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:49 pm

hi sarah. my daughter was dx last april with stage 3 rectal. she's 23 now and has 4 treatments left. through sheer determination, she will be graduating college with honors this may! never give up on your dreams. this is just a big bend in the road. good luck to you! susan

CINDY- hope your son is doing well. we certainly are "sisters" in all this.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”