Is a 5 cm tumor in sigmoid colon considered large?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
justin case

Re: Is a 5 cm tumor in sigmoid colon considered large?

Postby justin case » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:26 pm

Chrissy wrote:I can't believe I stumbled in this site and to see my dx and what in feeling is like everyone else. I'm still in shock from Mondays colonoscopy report . I thought I was going in with hemorroids being banded and when I woke up was told I have a 2 inch mass in my Colon . I am 45 years old and scared . Next week will be busy with scans and medical clearance for surgery. I was told it is big and bulky which could be a good sign meaning its slow growing. I also should have went in after a couple if weeks of rectal bleeding but that was my only symptom . I had bleeding for 8 mths with a low h&h which caused me to see a md. Can anyone give me any information ? It is in the sigmoid

Chrissy,
You have found a very old post that is for sure. If you could register and ask your question in a new post, I'm sure you will get more answers. Without more knowledge we would just be guessing, and possibly create more worry than needed. I had a 8 cm mass in my sigmoid, which is about4.5 inches, and currently I am cancer free after treatment.
Regards,
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

srwl21901

Postby srwl21901 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:23 pm

I am new to this group as my cancer was found in February of this year. I was told at first it was so small the colonoscopy dr thought it could be removed anually in day surgery, no chemo just be done with it. I had a rectal ultrasound a day later and that dr thought the same thing. Never mentioned cm but said about the size of a raisin. But surgeon who was a colorectal surgeon recommended a laparoscopic surgery, removed 2/3 of my rectum plus about 6 in of colon. Pathology report came back no lymph node involvement but there were tiny cancer specks within the margin. My oncologist at Scott and white said that because of numerous factors she would like to take my case to the tumor board who is comprised of doctors from Johns Hopkins, md Anderson, mayo clinic as well as many other large hospitals. They meet via web cam weekly to discuss odd cases. My staging was a 3c which is normally reserved for patients with node involvement but after talking with the tumor board it was decided I would be treated as if it were in the lymph nodes so that what in doing. It's my opinion from talking with the oncologist that its mop up chemo just to be sure it's all gone. I did have a temporary ileosotomy so that my connection of my colon to the lower part of my rectum can heal while in chemo. I should be able to have the osteomy taken down around November or December. The staging is a,lot different than it used to be. I think I might be the only 3c on this board with no node involvement. But as shocking as it all is I have gotten terrific support from this wonderful group and a lot of information that is easier to understand than from the doctors. So welcome from a newbie it's a great bunch from whichntomget support. .
Stage 3
Rectal cancer
DX 2/20/13
LAR 3/27/13
Xeloda (canceled)
Oxaliplatin
Port placed on May 8, 2013
Folfox6
Stage IV metastasis in lymph nodes
Seeking treatment now

NickBraith

Postby NickBraith » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:43 pm

Hi everyone,
I just returned from a colonoscopy and have been told instead of diverticulitis I have an approximate 2cm tumor In my sigmoid colon. The physician characterized it as small and high. I've had the CT scan and blood work done today as well and expect the results tomorrow. After reading this board and surfing google size is not the only measure I should be worried about. My questions to one and all are :

1). What will the CT scan and blood work tell me
2). Will the CT and blood work tell me if the cancer has spread to other organs or my lymph nodes etc
3). What questions should I be asking at this point

Sorry if I sound dumb it's just that I'm in a little shock . I'm 46 and was not expecting this as an outcome ,

Thank you for anyone's help !!!

justin case

Postby justin case » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:11 pm

NickBraith wrote:Hi everyone,
I just returned from a colonoscopy and have been told instead of diverticulitis I have an approximate 2cm tumor In my sigmoid colon. The physician characterized it as small and high. I've had the CT scan and blood work done today as well and expect the results tomorrow. After reading this board and surfing google size is not the only measure I should be worried about. My questions to one and all are :

1). What will the CT scan and blood work tell me
2). Will the CT and blood work tell me if the cancer has spread to other organs or my lymph nodes etc
3). What questions should I be asking at this point

Sorry if I sound dumb it's just that I'm in a little shock . I'm 46 and was not expecting this as an outcome ,

Thank you for anyone's help !!!

I'm sure you are not very amused at this moment, but relax, there is nothing you can do , that has not already been done to this point. Colon cancer is not a fast moving cancer, and you're job is to wait for the results,(Patiently) :? We are not doctors, although we can help you with some of the bumps down the road. The words small and high are very encouraging, as the words I got were large and low caused a lot of treatment. I'm am now able to work a very physical job, and really don't worry about anything cancer related much anymore. You will probably be sent to an Oncologist, and ask him or her anything on your mind. Write down your questions in advance, because in the swirl of things, you will get home and say to yourself, "I forgot to ask about ???) Take your time and keep us updated, as we can help things go more smoothly.
Regards,
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

Azadehod

Postby Azadehod » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:23 pm

Please help! We just found out that my mom has an approximately 2 cm largest dimension sigmoid colon adenocarcinoma, which was found through routine colonoscopy. The pathology report said is poorly differentiated cells with intact nucleus. The GI doctor told me that the surrounding tissue seems to be ok? What are the chances that this has already metastasized or to the nodes?

mstults

Postby mstults » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:42 am

Azadehod wrote:Please help! We just found out that my mom has an approximately 2 cm largest dimension sigmoid colon adenocarcinoma, which was found through routine colonoscopy. The pathology report said is poorly differentiated cells with intact nucleus. The GI doctor told me that the surrounding tissue seems to be ok? What are the chances that this has already metastasized or to the nodes?

That can't be determined until surgery and typing. She needs a ct or pet scan. What did the doctor recommend as the next step?
Male Age 53. Dx CC with numerous liver mets 6/23/12. Colon res 6/24/12. Started folfox 7/24/12. Added avastin 8/27/12. CT 12/27/12 still showing shrink. Took 17 rounds of FOLFOX. Then 5-FU + Avastin. Switched to Irinotecan for 1 yr. CEA rose to >400. Switched to Vectibix 2/18/15. CEA decreasing. Scans show some growth in liver mets. Lung Mets stable to shrinking.

https://www.facebook.com/michael.stults2/about?ref=home_edit_profile&section=work

Junie1209

5 cm mass found in the ileo-cecal valve

Postby Junie1209 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:39 pm

I was just diagnosed.with a 5 cm mass found in the ileo=cecal valve. The dr notes say it is malignant in apppearance. The mass caused a partial obstruction. The scope could not traverse the lesion and the exam could not be finished. Lesion appeared to emanate. from the ICV itself. There was no spread of lesion distally across the ICV. The AO was separate from the lesion. The TI could not be intubated. Cold forceps biopsies were performed.

Can anyone tell me in laymans terms what all this means. I was too upset to ask the dr. more questions but he gave me the discharge instructions with referral to a surgeon and scripts for a ct scan and blood work. He told me that he is pretty sure it is cancer but is hopeful we caught it in time.

Choijk
Facebook Username: June choi lee

Postby Choijk » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:18 pm

Junie, I don't know in laymans terms what that means but can offer you my moms story. During a routine colonoscopy, gi found a mass which he confirmed that it was cancer before the biopsy confirmed it. She was referred for a ct scan, which confirmed that it was a 5.1 cm tumor. She was then referred to a surgeon, which underwent lap surgery. Before the surgery she had blood work which is a cea test that was 1.7. The surgery pathology reports said the tumor was 5.2 (don't know if it grew in 2 weeks or misreading?? 5.1 vs 5.2). The pathology reports said her tumor was a t3 and 29 lymph nodes were taken which were all negative. Although the pathology report said mx (for mets) she was staged at stage 2a. No chemo has been recommended because per oncologist, she has negative prognostic factors ( moderately differential, no vascular invasion, grade 2, 29 lymph nodes, no perforation, negative margins). I know this must be a scary time for you. However you'll know much more after the diagnostic tests (I.e, ct scans) and the surgery. This forum is wonderful, I hope you can find the answers you are looking for. Everyone is very helpful. Welcome to the forum.

June
Daughter to 73 yr mom at dx 5/16/13
6/5/13 rt hemi
T3n0mx (no prognostic factors)
No txmt, observation only
2/14- MRI: potential new primary. Biliary adenoma
5/1/14 liver resection (7th sector) and gallbladder also taken out

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”