radiation therapy

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!

radiation therapy

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:36 pm

Starting radiation therapy on Monday. From what I hear it can be a pain in the butt. Any suggestions on creams, lotions whatever so that I don't have a sore rear end.

Radiologist says "keep butt dry" use lots of baby powder.
Radiologist also suggested that I take 1 immodium everyday at breakfast and increase this amount as needed.

I've been plagued with diarhea(sp?) all along now I hear that radiation can make it worse.... I can't imagine :cry:

drmrgirl47

Postby drmrgirl47 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:53 am

You can use Tucks wipes and then Desitan or any other cream. I found this helpful. Also, use the Lomotil. I know someone who took up to 13 per day. I myself used up to 10 on different occasions. Run it by your doctor though. Good luck.

northern lights

Postby northern lights » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:27 am

Because cleaning with toilet paper can be so painful, use toddler wipes. Not the baby wipes because they are so thin, but Huggies and Pampers both have toddler training wipes and now Chamin has moist wipes as well. They don't contain any alcohol so they don't burn if you are already sensitive. I couldn't live with out them now.

When I was at the worst I used baby diaper cream. This just protects the already damaged skin and helps it heal without getting worse. I would talk to your doctor first about that becasue I don't know if it would react to the radiation.

Michelle

Postby Michelle » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:59 am

I just finished with my radiation treatment and my skin is fine. I started to look a little pink in front the last few days but it doesn't hurt and my derriere looks perfectly normal - 'cept for those permanent marker lines they drew which are very difficult to wash off.

I had TERRIBLE diarrhea with chemo but not with radiation. The diaper rash creams didn't help, but I think that perhaps the diarrhea caused a hemorrhoid. I did finally find relief with Preparation H wipes and cream. Some type of baby wipe is a mustl - I love pampers with lavender.

Take all the imodium or anti-diarrhea meds you need but check with your doctor first!!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”