Starting Chemo

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
northern lights

Starting Chemo

Postby northern lights » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:03 am

I have stage III cancer. I am having the PICC inserted today and Chemo starts tomorrow. (Folfox). I am 34 years old and shocked to read about so many young patients. Screening has to start sooner. All my friends who have asked me what they can do to help me have been told to have a colonoscopy.

Has anyone had complications with the PICC? Anything I should or should not do? What does the cold sensation feel like? I live in northern canada and it is still the middle of winter up here. Winter carnival is this weekend and I have two small children who may not forgive me if I don't take them.

How about hair loss. They say it is uncommon what exactly is "thinning"?

Thanks for your input.

Holly

Chemo

Postby Holly » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:10 pm

Northern Lights,

Welcome to the Colon Club!

Yes, there are a lot of us, young and living strong colon cancer survivors! Northern Light, I was diagnosed at the age of 30 with stage IV colon cancer and given very little hope. I am cancer-free. The most important things I will share with you today is...Remember ALL things are possible.

You will go through a wide variety of emotions. Embrace all of them. Find a productive way to unlease them...I like to find an open field a scream, find what works for you! I have been cancer-free since 2004 and I grateful every moment of my life. Too, I am scared. It is a powerful emotion emotion that I find myself willing off. I get follow up testing and petscans every three months and still fear the "unknown." I believe that this will be apart of me for the remainder of my life but I do have the choice of how I wish to contain it! Again, you must believe that all things are possible!

Chemo...Yes, I know you must be waiting to hear and experience with baited breathe. Based on what you have shared with the colon club, I have deducted that you will be on Oxiplatin. The Folfox regimen. Neuropathy is a cold-like sensation one similar to that if you pull something out of the freezer (reasonable to compare to a minimal frostbite like sensation). But will last a little longer. Oxiplatin has a 15 day half life. That means it remains in your body for 15 days. So you will get another dose or round of the drug before the old has cleared your body. Thus, you may have been told that the treatment has a cummulative affect. It builds onto itself. May I say: A warm pair of mittens and snuggly socks will be priceless! I would recommend that you avoid chilled drinks like ice water and cold soda for a few days post your chemotherapy. I was told to avoid and did so anyway so that I could journal my experience. It is a quick shock and gets your attention, only needed to experience once. Room temp ot tap water should not affect you. I am a cold natured person and do not like to be cold. So I was layering clothes even in the summer while being treated. Find your comfort! The greatest side affect that I experienced was FATIGUE. I was sooo tired and rest and rest and rest. I figured it was my body's way of telling me what was needed. Do not be alarmed if you are tired. Not like a little overtime or tucked out from the flu, I mean dog tired and dragging. This is normal. Hair loss...Will you loose your hair? Not likely if you are not on monoclonal antibodies. Your hair will thin (my hair stylist recognized, I did not). So not to fret. When I say thin, I mean a couple hairs here and there but I assure you you will others will not likely recognize.

About the carnival...Your childen love you. Despite the fight you are in for, remember to embrace love and life. Go, have a ball, take video and hugs your children. But do remember the warm snuggly socks and mittens! I hope this helps! I hope that through this forum and website, you find much love, support and encouragement as I have over the past year! I am truly blessed! Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers and do update the Colon Club on your journey!

Hugs!

Holly

edinaman

Postby edinaman » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:27 pm

Holly really said it all. You are going through a new experience. Each step can be frightening, but you will get through them. I remember my first chemo, sitting there, waiting for something to happen. Other than running to the bathroom (lots of liquids with that chemo) nothing happened during chemo. Listen to your body. When you are tired, rest. If friends want to help, take them up on the offer-it is not a sign of weakness. I think my hair thinned a little and grew slower-also no 5 o'clock shadow. I remember my barber saying that my scalp never looked so healthy! You will probably notice that your taste buds will be affected. Some things will taste okay, some funny, and some may have no taste. You may find that it is helpful eating a number of smaller meals rather than a few big meals. You will learn what your body needs and wants. My chemo was mostly during the winter of '05. I would think our Minnesota winters aren't too different from yours. It is helpful to wear a scarf so you can put it over your nose. Sometimes if you try breathing really cold air, it can feel like you can't breath. Don't panic, you really are breathing. A lot times, cold will feel like you are getting a shock. I found it helpful to warm my morning orange juice in the microwave. Just dress warm when you go outside-layers help, you can always take something off if you get too hot. Did you get a picc line or a port? Remember, there is life after chemo. As my oncologist said, treat this as a disruption in your life. Please let us know how your first treatment was. There are many of us here to help. I also was stage 3.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”