Painful Colonoscopy Post Colon Resection

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
lamerex4

Painful Colonoscopy Post Colon Resection

Postby lamerex4 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:42 am

I had my one year post colon resection colonoscopy yesterday. It was the most painful procedure I have ever had. They kept turning me from side to side and even had a big burly guy come in twice to push on my abdomen. The gave me more meds at least twice, but I feel like I spent the whole time screaming in pain.
I did have one polyp removed.
Today I feel like a truck drove over my midsection.
I don't remember anything from my colonoscopy a year ago when the cancer was diagnosed, and I was awake but pain free during my first colonoscopy 4 years ago.
Is it common after a colon resection for the colonoscopy to be so painful?
Stage I Rectosigmoid Adenocarcinoma 02/07
Stage IB Uterine Adenocarcinoma 10/03

janey

Postby janey » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:02 am

That sounds awfull. Here in France they put you right out and I,m glad. I,ve got my first colonoscopy coming up next month after my surgery last year and if it is more painfull after surgery then I sure don,t want to feel it.
Did you tell them how painfull it was?
Janey

lamerex4

Postby lamerex4 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:19 am

I think my crying out repeatedly would have been a clue! They told me to take deep breaths and to relax my abdomen.
They did give me more meds 2-3 times. It just didn't hit me til later; I slept 5 hours after I got home. Everyone reacts differently to medications. I will just make sure they use something different next time.
I also have severe osteoarthritis and I have been off my anti-inflammatory meds almost a week. That doesn't help either. Since they removed a polyp I can't resume taking my anti-inflammatories for another week! That combined with zero degree temperature here has got my pain way out of control.
I want to make it clear that I am not posting this issue to scare anyone who is facing their first colonoscopy. My first 2 were absolutely without discomfort.
It just took me by total surprise yesterday to have the discomfort, I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this post-resection. Is it due to adhesions?
Stage I Rectosigmoid Adenocarcinoma 02/07

Stage IB Uterine Adenocarcinoma 10/03

missjv

Postby missjv » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:03 am

i have always been asleep during colonoscopies. i was informed the other day by my gastro doc that after april 1, 2008 alot of big insurance companies will not pay for the anesthesia that we usually receive for colonoscopies because the insurance companies say it is not a painful procedure and a person does not need sedation. the stuff i got for sleeping started with a d im not sure of the exact name but that is the good stuff that makes you wake up with no ill effects it feels like you have been on a good nap for a week. im glad the insurance companies can decide medical procedures i feel so much better knowing they are looking out for me, NOT!!

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:18 am

I'm sorry this happened to you. I'm suspicious you did not get the meds or it was administered INCORRECTLY. A few yrs back, a friend had her 1st colonoscopy, she complained about how painful it was (to the point they could not finish it). Her doctor was able to determine (after the fact) she never got the knock out juice. Anyway they had to repeat the procedure 6 mths later, they got it right then,

The 2nd procedure was LOTS easier, and she was out.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

SusanNore

Postby SusanNore » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:44 pm

I posted yesterday regarding this, although my GI (a new GI for me) told me I have a tortuous/twisted colon (which I didn't have 18 months ago). I know I have adhesions and scar tissue but I've had one other colonoscopy since my resection and it wasn't nearly as painful as the most recent (two weeks ago). He even used a pediatric scope but had so much difficulty that the procedure took twice as long as normal. My prior experiences were a breeze compared to this. I too hate to scare anyone off, but this shouldn't be a painful experience for anyone. Your comment about the insurance companies not covering pain meds blew me away. I had plenty of pain meds this time and the breakthrough pain was unreal.
Dx 6/05 Stage III Rectal w/lymph mets; LAR surgery 7/05, completed Folfox and radiation 3/06.

lexpatti

Re: Painful Colonoscopy Post Colon Resection

Postby lexpatti » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:57 pm

I too just had a very painful colonoscopy today. They could only do 1/2, had to stop because I would hold my breath (after screaming a few choice words) and they kept saying "breathe". I couldn't, it was unbearable. They did drug me through the iv and I felt out of it, until they hit a certain area. After several attempts and me holding my breath - I finally yelled "you have to stop". They did and suggested that I have it done in a hospital where they can put you out completely. I don't remember them even wheeling me back to the waiting room where I slept for sometime.

I was hoping to find out more online, why this was so painful. I was ok for part of it but it just hit this area that was killing me.

PJ

Postby PJ » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:40 pm

I just wanted to share-How Wonderful the Place/Staff were at the hospitol I went to -to have my first colonoscopy! I had 3 polyps removed, the M.A.S.[which I Cannot Recommend-Highly Enough!- *grins* I thought I was at home, in my own bed upon waking and that it was time to "put-on-the-coffee":} They Promised to "put-me-OUT"-lol and they Did-Thank Gawd! I'd read all these stories of folks having "crazy-pain" during this procedure-which is So Invasive to begin with...but, the most severe discomfort I experienced-was due to the "prep"-and I'm still, having "issues" with the That... But, I had to insist on this M.A.C. sedation as in the clinic that I intially went to-it was not available. I'm GLAD I did-it was worth it!

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:48 pm

My internist suggested that I request a pediatric scope after my resection. I asked for it, and the GI doc smiled and asked if I knew why. I said probably because the anastamosis was narrow. He said no, it's because the turns are tighter. He used the pediatric scope and had no problems. One of many reasons I think my internist is The Best Doctor in the World. He thinks of everything.
Dx Stage IIIC CC 3/10/06
Surgery 3/20/06
Folfox 4/06 - 10/06
Avastin 4/06 - 4/07
NED!

http://www.CoverYourButt.org
Healthcare is a right, not a privilege.

vancouver eve

Postby vancouver eve » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:13 am

I had my first colonoscopy after surgery and I too was in so much pain. It was unbearable. I had it in August. I told the Doctor this was the most painful thing I had ever experienced. The nurse kept on telling me to breathe. I informed the nurse that I felt like screaming and she told me to go ahead as many people do. I am thankful I don't have to get another one for a year.

kitty,rn

Postby kitty,rn » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:19 am

I have to have a colonoscopy in the near future and this thread has scared me, but I'm also thankful for the knowledge and will ask my GI doc to consider using a pediatric scope. I'm pretty sure my anastamosis is narrow due to the diameter of most of my stools and I'll also ask him to make sure enough meds are available to keep me comfortable.
Stage I rectal cancer 2/07, age 51, found during colonoscopy
Laparoscopic LAR 4/07
Rectovag fistula caused by anastamosis staple; loop ileostomy 5/07
Flap repair of fistula 7/07; Failed 8/07
Open LAR for takedown of fistula 1/08
Ileostomy reversal 2/08

Joanne 814
Facebook Username: Joanne Flynn Hoerrner

Postby Joanne 814 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:33 am

This is freaking me out. I finished 6 weeks ago, and have a colonoscopy scheduled for the 8th. I was out like a light with the first colonoscopy, and never thought another would hurt. I am panicking and will call the GI doctor, and see if I can mention this and have a pain free colonoscopy.

ONWARD, but scared now~

Joanne
Dx: Nov 07 @ age 43
Stage IIIC, RCa
Colon Resection: Nov 07, 4 of 27 LN
Chemo/Radiation: 28 treatments w/constant 5FU (Jan-Feb 08)
Chemo: Folfox, 12 cycles (Mar-Aug 08) DONE 8-8-08
CT Scan 1-09 NED

pearlgirl

Postby pearlgirl » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:52 am

I know this post was NOT intended to scare anyone, but I have to tell you, I've been wondering how I'll ever be able to make myself get a colonoscopy after reading so many horror stories - and not just on this thread. I was reading a site about Versed and there were so many stories on it written by patients who had excruciating colonoscopies because the drug was not effective.

I remember wondering if EVERYONE'S tests are that painful, but the drug just makes you forget about it. That terrifies me. A pain of that level has to register somewhere in the subconscious even when you have amnesic drugs to help you "forget" it.

His colonoscopy probably saved my husband's life, but I have a really hard time getting past this overwhelming fear.
Husband DX CC (T2N0M0) 9/06
LAR 9/06
Recurrence, now CRC 1/08
chemo/rad, 6 weeks, ended 5/2/08
2nd LAR/ temp ileo 6/19/08,
8/4/08> 6 months chemo
ileo reversal 4/09, in remission

justsing

Postby justsing » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:03 am

Well, my goal at this point is to be in a position where a colonoscopy would be necessary. Right now I feel like I'm fighting in Helm's Deep and the idea of periodic monitoring looks pretty darn good!

I remember waking up during my colonoscopy when they were trying to get the scope past the tumor so they could see the rest of the colon. It was pretty uncomfortable, but they upped whatever med I was on and it was back to dreamland in no time.

I think the moral of the story is that you should insist on being pretty heavily medicated, especially for post-surgical scopes. It just stands to reason that the turns are tighter and the route is narrower.

I ask for pediatric stuff for all throat related procedures anyway because I'm a singer and I want as little trauma to that region as possible. But now I'll know to ask for the other end as well :)
justsing, 46
Stage IV
colon resection 12/07
Liver resection 04/08
Phase I vaccine trial
liver, lung LN mets
tried Oxi, Iri and Avastin
now trying new chemo combos then sir spheres
College prof in theatre & voice
2 girls 18 & 14, one son 10

lamerex4

Postby lamerex4 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:13 am

I feel terrible about the worry, stress and concern this thread has caused! PLEASE don't put off getting a colonoscopy out of fear.
Good doctor/client communication is key. Express your concerns to your physician and set up a 'password' in advance that means STOP! If you are lucid enough to verbalize your password, the doctor will know it's not 'just the drugs talking'. I will definitely be proactive prior to my next colonoscopy.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”