Painful Colonoscopy Post Colon Resection

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
lamerex4

Re: Painful Colonoscopy Post Colon Resection

Postby lamerex4 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:29 am

GREAT NEWS! Just got back from my yearly colonoscopy. No pain this time! The first thing my DR said this morning was, "We really had a rough time last year. We're going to do everything in our power to avoid that today." And they did! The nurse asked incredulously 3 times about the amount of drugs I received last year. Even better news, I was clean as a whistle and can go 2 years before my next one.
Stage I Rectosigmoid Adenocarcinoma 02/07
Stage IB Uterine Adenocarcinoma 10/03

grammyto4

Postby grammyto4 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:37 am

YEAH!!!!! Thanks for sharing your GREAT news!!!
Age 49 Dx 1-07 Perm colostomy
Stage 3C 17/19 LN+
Folfox x 4 31 rad tx c Xeloda 4 tx Oxi & Xeloda; tx comp 12-07

4-09 recurrance in abd; sacral
8-09 Approved for HIPEC (unable to complete HIPEC)
12-09 Folfiri x 12 add Avastin 3rd tx
12-09 Cyberknife

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:40 pm

Great news!
Dx Stage IIIC CC 3/10/06
Surgery 3/20/06
Folfox 4/06 - 10/06
Avastin 4/06 - 4/07
NED!

http://www.CoverYourButt.org
Healthcare is a right, not a privilege.

Marshall

Postby Marshall » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:20 pm

I had my first colonoscopy today. I had read, and talked to people, about the procedure, and "thought" that the before prep was suppose to be the worse of it. Not the case for me. From the first insert I screamed that they had not given me my medication. They assured me that they had. I was awake throughout the procedure, (they removed 3 polyps), but felt every moment of it. I kept screaming that I was not sedated and that they had not given me any anesthesia. They continued to administer excrutiating pain. When they rolled me out of the procedure room I was lucid. I was ready to put my clothes on and go home. They kept insisting that I needed to have an adult drive me home, and I insisted that they had never administered any anethesia. I talked to my family afterwards, (some who have had the procedure more than once and one who was in the medical field), and they think that someone made a mistake, or didn't administer the drugs at all, (also that hospital employees will do this for their own benefit). I talked to my pharmacist to see if I could take a drug test to determine what, if anything, that they had given me. I was informed that it does not stay in your system for more than 24 hours. My pharmacist said that I might be resistant to one of the drugs. (50 mg of demerol; 6 mg of versed). What is your collective opinion of my situation? I don't want this to happen again!

lamerex4

Postby lamerex4 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:24 pm

Many factors could have resulted in the lack of sedation. The IV might not have been in the vein, so the medication didn't get injected correctly. Every person reacts differently to medication. If I have dilaudid, it might as well be saline; the effect is the same. Perhaps you react this way to the versed/demerol. This is definitely something you need to discuss with the doctor that did the colonoscopy. They should have stopped when they realized you were conscious. I would also mention this occurrence whenever you give your medical history. If you Google "conscious sedation didn't work" you'll see you are not alone; little comfort, I realize.
Stage I Rectosigmoid Adenocarcinoma 02/07

Stage IB Uterine Adenocarcinoma 10/03

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”