Xeloda and mouth sores

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!

Xeloda and mouth sores

Postby guest » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:58 am

Hi, My son has just finished his third Xeloda treatment,one week on,one week off. He developed some mouth sores-especially at very back of gums.He was given a script of lidocaine,maalox and benedryl mixture.He is to rinse mouth with this for a few minutes,then can swallow or spit back out. It numbs his mouth,so no taste.He also has to watch that food is not hot because of burning mouth.Has anyone had this problem?Anything else he can try?Thanks for all the help! Thelma

ASTEPHENS33

Mouth sores

Postby ASTEPHENS33 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:05 pm

I am also on Xeloda - just completing my 5th out of the 8 cycles. My first cycle I got mouth sores. I basically gargled with salt water and non-alcholic mouthwash. I also bought dental wax to prevent my lips hitting my teeth and then had dental night guards made so I could sleep with the plastic between my teeth and lips. I found this helped alot. (I went to a dentist to get the night guards made. I explained the situation and he only charged me his cost.)

Since the first cycle, I have not gotten mouth sores. My symptons seem to come and go, with one being more dominant at a time. Hand and feet issues are my worst side effect, as well a tiredness. Am up to about 10-12 hours a day of sleeping. Am always tired about an hour after taking the dosage. I read somewhere its at the highest concentration then.

Xeloda

Postby guest » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:22 pm

Thanks for the information! He had been washing mouth with salt water-peroxide mixture as he had been told with earlier treatments.It burned the sores and did not help. He told me the script mixture is helping somewhat-started using Friday evening,so it may take some time.His hands and feet are slightly dry-he uses the utter creme faithfully so that may be helping. His treatment at present is Campostar,Avastin,Erbitux and Xeloda every two weeks and Erbitux every week. The weeks he has all drugs he is very tired for a few days.We just have to kkep fighting. Thanks again for your help-I will pass it along to him! Thelma

Xeloda

Postby guest » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:23 pm

That is udder creme!!!

kevinlv

Lysine

Postby kevinlv » Wed May 03, 2006 2:12 pm

Try some glutamine for you neuralga,mouth sores, and diarrhea. You need a high dose 10g three times a day. My oncologist approves of it. It also helps with gi side effest too. They make a product Sympt GI 10g packets of bulk powder. It is made by Baxter www.baxternutrition.com for more information. It's hard to find, but is is available. If you have trouble contact me I own my own pharmacy and can get it. Also you can buy glutamine in health food stores, but the largest I have found is 1g capsules so you would have to take 10 3 times a day.

L-lysine 500mg three time a day for mouth sores. Mouth sores are similar to cold sores. L-lysine (lysine) It very inexpensive and can be found in pharmacies, and health food store you shouldn't pay more than $10.00 for 100 tablets. Don't buy into that nautral vitaman crap, they are all chemically the same. Buy the cheepest ones.

Of couse use magic mouthwash with lidocaine, esp. prior to meals. Also neosporin on the lips help if you have sores on the lips.

I am a Pharmacist with over 20 years experience, Sage IV colon cancer patient.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”