Portacath problem

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Liz2011

Portacath problem

Postby Liz2011 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:00 am

Mum couldn't have round 3 of Folfox today because there is a problem with the portacath. They need to remove this one and put a new one in in a slightly different location apparently... This means that round 3 will be delayed by 10 days. The silver lining is that she gets to spend a week feeling decent. She was in floods of tears though when I spoke to her.

Chemo, we hate you yet we want you...

Has any of you experienced similar problems with the portacath? Wonder if she's in the best hands sometimes...

L
Mum peritonitis 09/10
Colon resection 10/10
Mets on liver, peritoneum and LNs
Folfiri 02/11
07/11 tumours grow back
08/11 Folfox + Avastin
10/11 Vectibix
11/28/2011 in my heart forever

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Re: Portacath problem

Postby SkiFletch » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:27 am

Port problems are not normal, but far from unusual. Sorry your mum has to go through it, especially the feelings regarding the chemo. Such a conundrum those are :shock:
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:54 am

Sometimes people have problems with them, not sure why. I had my port in for 2 years when I suddenly had to get it removed. My port had been placed in my right breast and it kind of "moved" during a mamogram :shock: . I was finished with chemo, but they were unable to access it for my monthly flush, thus it was removed. The surgeon/Dr who took it out was O.K. with putting it back where it was suppose to be (I was awake during the removal), but told him no, I wanted it gone.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

jjlist

Postby jjlist » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:56 am

the incision opened up wide on my first one 5 weeks after finishing neo adjuvant chemo rad . i could literarly see a sliver of the port through the incision. My surgeon said the chemo weekend my healing and thats why it opened up 10 weeks after it was put in. yeah right........ He told me it had to come out. I was scheduled for my resection in another 10 days, i told him i will just keep it covered and replace it when i am on the table for the resection. He agreed to it and put me on an oral antibiotic to keep it from getting infected. After he replaced it (on the other side of my chest) the new incision was a nice clean line and closed with glue. I remember the first one was jagged and closed with 3 widely spaced stiches. It looked like I could have stitched it better. now i have another ugly hole and scar on my chest I am convinced he botched that one up. I never made it an issue cause i had other things to deal with, and didnt feel like suing my surgeon. maybe i should have.
age 56
11/16/09 DIAG low rectal tumor ST II T3N0M0
12/21/09 chemopump radiation
3/18/10 suregry colo-anal anastomosis, no nodes,.
4/29/10 Abcess infection
6/3/10 started 12 folfox sessions completed 10.
1/11/11 ileostomy takedown

RixInPhx

Postby RixInPhx » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:31 am

I got my first port, right clavical, in July '10.
Worked flawlessly thru Jan of this year.

Then, at every infusion the nurse were getting a 'poor draw', so they tried the cath-clearing gymnastics and the special flush solution.
Everytime, Feb thru April.
And everytime, they had to draw blood for labs thru an arm IV; no biggie, I have great veins.
And the infusion went IN thru the portacath just fine everytime.

By end of April, the onc took note when I complained, and arranged for a CT scan.
Which showed that the catheter down my carotid vein had coiled all the way back on itself to the point of vein insertion!
The surgeon said this condition isn't unheard of, but most often occurs to large-breasted women for some reason, perhaps sleeping position.
I have slight man-boobs, but nothing that rates a "man-bra' :eek:
I do sleep only on my side, often with the lower arm stretched to th headboard. :shrug:
I have a souvenir of the CT screen showing the coil, that I took with my phone camera.

They removed the old port and inserted a new one, which has been fine until now.
At yesterday's infusion, we were again getting a poor draw, but that changed with the gymnastics.
We'll see how this progresses.

Find out from your mum's onc just what the problem is with her port.

So portacaths can fail in some odd ways.
Hope all goes smoothly with her chemo holiday!
-Rick
M 61, Dx 6/10 CRC st 4, unknown primary CEA 843
2 kg peritoneal mass, met to skull; no surgery
Various regimens of all CRC chemo drugs
Mets to lung 8/11 CEA 135
Folfiri/Erb/Ava 12/11 CEA 320
No progression 5/12 CEA 192

Kathryn in MN
Facebook Username: Kathryn Finn-Blume

Postby Kathryn in MN » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:53 am

Problems arise with ports - it doesn't mean anything about a medical team. Some people never have an issue, and others have constant problems. I am on my third port, and it isn't doing well lately either...

It is good that they noticed the problem, rather than going ahead with chemo. If the catheter doesn't run into the vein the way it should, it can cause a lot of problems.

While treatment goes almost like clockwork for some people, for the majority something will go "wrong" on the journey. You have to learn to breath, and take it in stride, or it will make you crazy! A cycle of chemo might get moved out due to low blood counts, port problems, a blood clot, or another issue. Pushing out one week longer for one cycle really shouldn't make a difference in the long run.

Sorry your mother has to go through this (I do understand, being on my third port). Try to get her to cheer up and enjoy having an extra week to feel better and get stronger before the next chemo. It can really help mentally and physically to get a little break now and then.
CRC AUG09 Age 47
Sig Res T4a N2a Mx, KRAS mut codon13
Mets bones & nodes
FOLFOX, FOLFIRI, Avastin, Radiation
Irinotecan, Zaltrap & STAR RFA
APR13 pleurisy & ascites - more chemo & draining
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kathrynblume

michelle c

Postby michelle c » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:59 pm

I've never had a problem but it's not unusual. Sorry that your mum has had this happen to her. It's stressful enough without all the unpredictable things that pop up. Just a little bump in the road. xox
May 25 2009 Dx with CC (sigmoid colon) 2 days after my 44th b'day
CEA prior to surgery 4.7
Jun 3 2009 LAR - Stage III 3/10 lymph nodes
Jul 6 - Dec 10 2009 - 12 cycles FOLFIRI
Genetic testing - inconclusive for Lynch
Jul 2012 port removed & hernia repair

jules10100

Postby jules10100 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:44 pm

Sorry bout your mum. I've had my port for 4 years, so far no issues! Knock on wood. My is in my left arm and I am always surprised when a Chemo nurse comments that they never see ports in the arm. I don't understand why they don't use the arm rather then the chest.
RC resection 06/07 xeloda, radiation, folfox
Stage IV Lung and Liver Mets 11/08 res
Folfiri & Avas 09
2/10 lung spots Irr.Erb
Next Vectibix
Irr, Erb and Avas. for Lung spots 4/11
Folfirinox
Clinical trial Nov 11. Brain mets
Option for Chemo unknown

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:34 am

I'm on my 3rd chemo port. The first one I made 10 rounds of Oxi - but the last 3-4 rounds caused increasing pain with each round until it was completely unbearable. My oncologist ordered the port to be removed and we finished up the last 2 rounds on Xeloda.

When I had my recurrence, I had the same surgeon install the port. We discussed the previous problems I had - which no one ever could figure out (other than my oncologist finally said IT'S THE PORT!!). Anyway - she put in a new port - but used a different vein this time. Once again - problems. This time I woke up with a slightly numb right thumb. Over the next couple of weeks the pain started in my lower arm and began working its way up. Similar to the last time - just a slightly different location for the pain and the numb thumb was new.

Due to a serious of other complications I ended up in the hospital and this time had a PA pull that port and put one in on the left side instead of the right. I haven't had ANY problems since. I don't know why the two ports the first surgeon did caused me such extreme pain, but I've decided not to use that particular surgeon (ever) again. I didn't feel she was particularly responsive to my problems - especially the second time around, which didn't help either.
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Postby Terry » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:10 am

My first one was put in by an interventional radiologist and he put it in in such a way that it was threaded up in my neck and stuck out like a sore thumb (hated that)! Anyway, it would clog up all the time. I spent so much time with them putting in the stuff (forget what it's called) to clear it up it was ridiculous. I seriously had to stand on one foot bent over with my arm over my head to get it to work some times :shock:

The 2nd one was put in by a surgeon and he did a beutiful job. No line in my neck and he put it in a great spot. Mine flipped a little though in time so it;s a little harder for them to palpate but still no problem.

Those things do happen. I hope her next one turns out better. Maybe ask for a surgeon to do it if possible. or at least a different interventional rad.

Your poor mom:(

She's in my prayers.
Terry
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

Holly

Postby Holly » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:43 am

Personally, my first became infected 6 weeks post placement. My second port was removed shortly aftr final chemo due to possible cracked catheter as it was making a whistling noise when accessed.

I pray your mums second port works flawlessly. All things are possible if you believe.

Hugs,

Holly

Liz2011

Postby Liz2011 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:11 am

Thank YOU for sharing your experiences, I will share this with my mum in the hope that it will cheer her up a little.
She's at her wits' end and close to quitting I think. Unfortunately she shared a room on Friday (day when she was due to have the next round of Folfox) with a lady who had been on the hard core chemo for 2 years with only a month break in between tx, so my mum's now convinced that it will be no different for her. I try to tell her that she may have 'easier' chemos in the future if Folfox works well but she's not listening, think she wants out and knows what the outcome will be. I feel so powerless.
Mum peritonitis 09/10
Colon resection 10/10
Mets on liver, peritoneum and LNs
Folfiri 02/11
07/11 tumours grow back
08/11 Folfox + Avastin
10/11 Vectibix
11/28/2011 in my heart forever

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”