Hemicolectomy after-effects

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
KatyK

Re: Hemicolectomy after-effects

Postby KatyK » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:37 am

The blood-clot diarrhea, lasted for 3 days with inconsistent intensity. Today they are sending me home. I do not have solid stool by any means but the diarrhea had less blood in it and was a shade of brown today. My CBC test shows I am losing blood but at a very slow rate. The hemoglobin and hermaticrine ( not sure if I spelled that right) levels dipped down but creep back up with each CBC test. My pain overall is not bad. I am really tired though. Glad to be going home.
July 21, 2015 carcinoid tumor on appendix 2.2 cm removed and bowel resection of small intestines while 16 weeks pregnant
12-27-2015 - birth of healthy daughter
Scheduled for rt hemicolectomy on March 4, 2016

HoneyJack

Postby HoneyJack » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:06 pm

KatyK wrote:Hi,

I am in The hospital 3rd day post op from right hemicolectomy and my bowel movements are quite watery and dark tinged with blood. Did anyone else experience this? It has been going on for days. My guts feel rumbly. I am mostly worried about this dark blood mixed with my watery stool. The doctors don't seem worried,but I can't find anyone else who had this post op. Is this normal to anyone?

Hi..I had very dark/bloody/watery stools after my operation while still in hospital. Doctor said its normal given the operation and not to worry. If I remember correctly, my bowel movements started 3 days post op and I was allowed to leave the hospital on the fourth day. I would say your guts feel rumbly because your bowels are working. :D
Wife & mom
Right colectomy 4/2014 @41yrs old
Tubulovillous T2-N0-M0 0/30 nodes (located in Cecum)
Stage 1 colon well-mod differentiated
Lynch negative
NED

5/2014 Chest CT showed enlarged lymph nodes/biopsied Sarcoidosis! (Not symptomatic)
3 incisional hernias fixed 3/2016

nae1978

Postby nae1978 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:57 am

I had my right hemicolectomy about 3 weeks ago and also have watery stools every time i eat. Not just once either, several times and my stomach gurgles for hours after i eat. I am hoping this goes away soon but am scared it wont. I am 38 yrs old and had adenocarcinoma of the cecum. They took out the right side of my colon and cecum 32 cm in length, the attached segment of ileal, or terminal ileum 51 cm in length, and my appendix 6 cm in length. The cancer itself was in my cecum measured to be 5.4 cm X 4.9 cm . I do feel my food digesting and like i say the gurgling for hours after i eat. It didnt spread to lymph nodes but it did come through the walls of my cecum and focally into the serosa of a segment of ileum that adhesed to the cecum. So it is staged at T4 N0 M0. I am currently waiting to hear from oncologist to start chemo. They said they got it all out but since it was so advanced that i will benefit from chemo. I have a few questions about that. I also have severe anemia. I had a blood transfusion in feb 2016 of 3 units and Again in june 2016 of 2 units and again during the surgery of 2 units. My hemoglobin is usually anywhere from low 7 to a high 8. I am suppose to take iron pills 3 times a day but forget most days. I have never been good at taking meds even pain meds. Will that affect the chemo treatment and did anyone not lost their hair. And could the loose and frequent bowel movements be because they took out some parts that are suppose to level that out.

Allypally

Postby Allypally » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:46 am

I'm a 42 year old female. I had a right Hemicolectomy on 04 Feb17 following the discovery of a neuroendocrine tumour in my gangrene appendix, which was removed on 15 Nov16. 12 weeks after surgery my abdomen is still very swollen, I get pain on moving and feel very tired. My appetite is reduced and Bowel movements are painful in my upper abdomen. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Utwo

Postby Utwo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:59 pm

Allypally, have you had a laparoscopic or an open surgery?
In case of laparoscopic surgery my bowel movements pattern more or less normalized in about three months.
58 yo male at diagnosis: T1bN0M0, 0/15 nodes, low grade/moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma
03/2016 colonoscopy: 2 small polyps removed in left colon; CEA = 1.3
04/2016 colonoscopy: caecum sessile 3.5 cm polyp piecemeal removed with kind of clear margins
05/2016 "prophylactic" laparoscopic right hemicolectomy - bleeding, leak, infection
06/2017 CT scan, colonoscopy OK; CEA = 1.6
A lot of funny stuff discovered by CT scans in liver, kidney, lungs, arteries, gallbladder, lymph node, pancreas

Allypally

Postby Allypally » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:30 am

Thanks for your reply, both operations were open surgical procedures. The first operation was to remove my gangrene appendix and clean out the pus from my abdomen using 7 litres of saline. The second operation was the removal of section of large intestine, 16 lymph nodes and blood vessels. The two operations were 11 weeks apart.

AKC68
Facebook Username: Angiesherrillcoombs

Postby AKC68 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:00 pm

I am 49. I've had 3 colonoscopies for symptoms and diagnosis ranging from diverticular dx to multiple polyps. The last scope was due to anemia and bloody stools. I was diagnosed with ca of cecum. I underwent a right hemicolectomy on 11/27/17. My path report came back: T2 with no lymph node involvement. I had my surgery done laparoscopically and am recovering well. My advice- have a surgeon that you can feel comfortable talking to! This is a major surgery and you will have your own experiences and/or diagnosis. I had a CEA blood test as well as Lynch Syndrome genetic tests. Read about these and educate yourself on what these tests are and what the results mean so that you can make informed decisions about your treatment and care.
Many prayers for all on this panel! Thank you for sharing your stories, I found it to be very reassuring!

sundazchild04

Postby sundazchild04 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:40 pm

On Sunday May 28th 2017, Memorial Day weekend I woke up with abdominal pains. I thought I had the stomach flu. I started vomiting around noon. Even though I had a full dinner the night before, all I vomited up was a bitter tasting mucous. The vomiting continued through Monday. Tuesday the diarrhea started, along with the vomiting. Wednesday morning I went to my doctor. She took one look at me and told me that she couldn't do anything for me because I was severely dehydrated and recommended that I go to the ER for IV fluids. While I was in the ER, the doctor ordered a CT scan of my abdomen. The results came back that my appendix had perforated and I had multiple abscesses, so they sent me upstairs. The surgeon told me that the abscesses were too small to drain, and that I was borderline septicemic. He recommended IV antibiotics (along with morphine for pain). I remained in the hospital for 6 days, 3 day NPO, 1 day full liquid, 1 day liquid and finally the night before discharge I could eat solid foods. I set a surgical date of August 2nd to have my appendix removed, outpatient. My surgeon told me that I still had infection in my abdomen. 2 weeks later I had a follow-up with my surgeon. He informed me that the pathology on my appendix showed a 2.2 mm goblet cell carcinoma in my appendix. He suggested a right hemi-colectomy. My surgical date was set for September 12th. Well, Hurricane Irma hit and I had to evacuate so my surgery was postponed till September 27th. After my surgery I remained in the hospital till October 1st. He removed approx. 1 foot of colon and 18 lymph nodes (and yes, I still had infection in my abdomen) and all came back cancer free. He did recommend that I set-up appts. with an oncologist to monitor my condition. I had my first appt. in December. I'm having blood tests done Jan. 17th and have a follow-up appt. with the oncologist Jan. 24th. I'm hoping that the blood tests come back negative for cancer. When I returned home from the hospital I was told I could eat anything I could tolerate. Well, it's been 3 months since my surgery and I feel like I'm still having digestive problems. He told me "anything you can tolerate". Well, it seems I can't tolerate too much fiber, dairy (except yogurt), too much sugar, too much caffeine, spicy foods and too much food at one time. I'm afraid to eat out, before long car and plane rides, and even when I eat at someone else's home (it's too embarrassing). I just ordered a pre-biotic/pro-biotic, hoping that the enzymes will help with my digestion. Does anybody know if this is normal? Is 3 months too soon for me to expect to be back to normal eating? The only up side to all this is that I've lost 35lbs and continue to lose because I've got such a limited diet. I'm beginning to think my pizza eating days are over.

mandjstins

Postby mandjstins » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:51 am

After many colonoscopies since I turned 50, the Dr couldn't snag a polip. He sent me to a Surgeon to have my hold colon removed. The Surgeon suggested that I have a Right Hemicolectomy. And on on 10/10/17 I had the Surgery. Surgery went well and no cancer and after 5 days in hospital but I I was released. I spent another week at home recovering and then went back to work. Took a little bit of adjusting but I was slowing getting back to normal. My issue started in Feb 2018. I was felling horrible. Headache, tired, not eating, dizziness. I went to out patience and they could not find anything wrong, only my blood pressure was high. Normal for me the last 10 years of annual checkups 120s over 70s. This time it was 159 over 109. Wow that's it right? Wrong, ekg, heart monitor, angiogram (no blockage) In Depth eye exam, Ct of sinus, Ct scan of head, Gallbladder sonogram (no issues). Cardiologist put me on PB and cholesterol medicine.

Now it is July and I am still having this issue. So I guess my question is would something in my Surgery cause my daily headaches, dizziness and fatigue? I have been to 6 Drs and the lastest, Neuro can't figure it out.

Thinking that it is somehow related to surgery. Anybody else having these issues after Hemicolectomy?

cathycaz

Re: Re:Right Hemicolectomy

Postby cathycaz » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:14 am

michael 58 wrote:I am a 58 year old male. In spring of 2010 I started having gas and abdominal pain out of no where. I tolerated it for few moths thinking it was my body's reaction to some foods(milk, wheat,..) I have been very careful with my diet and exercise regularly. I don't smoke and drink very moderately. I was very healthy and played sports in college. The last time I had a flue was in 1993. There was no family history of any cancer.
I went to see my family doctor. He put me through a series of blood/stool tests and abdominal radiology. I learned that my red blood cell count was very low. There was also blood in my stool. My doctor suggested a colonoscopy that showed cancerous tumor in the cecum of my ascending colon. A CT scan re-confirmed it. I was totally surprised. I had right hemicolectomy surgery a week later( August 22, 2010). The surgen removed 1/3 of my colon and 2" of my small intestine during an open operation. I spent 5 days in the hospital. The pathalogy report showed adenocarcinoma of cecum. 7 of the 28 lymth nodes that were removed during the surgery were affected. I had stage three colon cancer. Two weeks after the surgery I started six months of chemotherapy with Oxilaplatin injections and Xeloda caplets(3000-3500 mg per day). I had severe reactions to chemo. Acid reflux and pins & needle of my feet were the main ones. Low energy, lack of appetite, no ability to taste food, hick ups,.... It has been one year since my surgery and six months since my last chemo cycle. I have gained my energy back. I still feel a burning sensation on the bottom of my feet. All my body functions are back to normal. The only effect I can feel is a pressure against my right lung when I take a deep breath. I feel something is preventing the expansion. It is not painful just uncomfortable. I am going to have some tests(CEA, liver enzymes, CT, CBC ..) done in the near future. My oncologyst said a CT scan once a year is all I need. Thank you for reading my story. If you have any advice please let me know.

Your story sounds nearly identical to that of my husband, who was 54 at the time of his surgery in 2015. Have you experienced any recurrences or other health issues in the years since your surgery?

Kdriver

Postby Kdriver » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:53 am

Hey there,

Have you are you still experiencing issues or have they subsided? I am nearly 4 months post right hemi-colectomy, and two weeks ago developed a headache that lasted a week, the GP said migraine episode, and since then headaches have come back, have been fatigued on/off past few months & also dizziness.
I had a bunch of blood tests and all came back fine, but thinking it’s linked to post op anxiety/depression as am not enjoying my work, and adjustment to new life is taking time, can’t tolerate many foods, and discovering that means having what seems like a small bowel obstruction with symptoms that last days. Everyday can be a rollercoaster, my surgeons saved my life but their post op advice has done me no favors or been correct. I’m finding these threads helpful in the management of it all.

Wildeep

Postby Wildeep » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:59 am

I had appendix removed in sept 18, finally had right hemi in march 19 as they found a 0.9cm t3 neruendocrine tumour. Histology showed that removed tissue was healthy. I am now undergoing 6 monthly monitoring which has so far been normal. However , I am now about ten months on from my surgery and I have significant digestive issues, it feels like these have actually worsened over the past few months, I poo more frequently and the consistency is usually not solid. I have discomfort in the stomach area , not tot eh extent of pain. I have recently tried experimenting with different diets but not sure how much difference it's made. I have had further blood tests, CT scan of abdomen (due to monitoring) and stool sample which have all been normal. Is it possible I'm suffering from IBS? The GP seemed to think that this could be the traumatic after effects of my abdominal surgery . Is it normal for stomach issues to be ongoing this long after right hemi? I did mention the issue at my last check up with the team that did my surgery and she said she was not that worried about it.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”