Is it possible that a polyp can be missed on a colonoscopy?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
july181998

Is it possible that a polyp can be missed on a colonoscopy?

Postby july181998 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:01 pm

Also, what does it mean when you've had a polyp removed that had abnormal cells?

joy

Postby joy » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:55 am

When I had a colonscopy I "saw" the polyp. It was 3 cm and bleeding. Surgeon took a sample for biopsy and it came back as benign. I breathed a sigh of relief!!

However, when I had an sigmoid resection I was shocked (as was my surgeon) to find out that I had a stage III - 2 lymph nodes involved. I'm currently on Chemo (2 cycles down)- start 28 days of radiation therapy on Monday.

I'm a YOUNG 60 - fighting this wilh every fibre of my being ---- I've got way too many things to do. Cancer is a WORD not a SENTENCE!!!!

ASTEPHENS33

Abnormal cells

Postby ASTEPHENS33 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:07 pm

You probably need to ask your doctor, but as I understand it when a polyp is removed they test the cells in it. The cells could be cancerous or a pre-cancerous condition. Abnormal in this case might mean pre-cancerous.

julie

Postby julie » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:54 am

I am also thinking I have had a polyp/polyps missed, I had a colonoscopy 28th feb they said all was clear, but on Sunday morning my little girl made me breakfast in bed for mothers day, (usually I cant eat first thing or I am constipated all day) which is what happened! Well on Monday morning I eventually went to the loo and there was a lot of blood, my husband has told me to go to the docs but I am feeling now that I would look like a pest as I already had a sigscope last nov which they removed a benign polyp!

Love & Hugs, Julie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

july181998

Postby july181998 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:13 am

Hi Julie,

I agree with your husband. This is your health that we're talkiing about. If I were you, I would request to have another colonoscopy. The blood may be from hemroids, or you may have another polyp. Please get this checked out, and keep us posted.

July

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:13 pm

Julie,

Welcome to the Colon Club!

Silly, never think you are being a pest! This is your body and you must be proactive in the management of your health! You must ask questions (lots of them) and demand answers. If you are not satisfied and seek another opinion. You must feel confident in your medical team, period!

I hope this helps! Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers!

Hugs!

Holly

julie

Postby julie » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:13 am

Ok i went to the docs this morning :) He said the blood was probably because I only had my colonoscopy 4 weeks ago, and the pain is due to spasms so he gave me tablets for the pain & the spasms and said "see how you go" so I guess thats what I have to do.

Thankyou for all your encouragement.

Love Julie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”