LADIES ONLY

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
mpeters6

LADIES ONLY

Postby mpeters6 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:54 pm

I have posted several times about these nightmare periods. I have been concerned about the clots I am passing. This week they were monstrously huge clots. The chemo nurse said this isn't normal. I passed one that was so big, it looked like 3-4 tbs of jelly. I am passing them all day and night. They gave me more iv estrogen to stop it, which helped, but I hope it eventually goes away. It's so gross and it makes life difficult. I hope I can get straightened out now that chemo is done.
I feel so yucky some days- butt cancer, bad periods, diarrhea, fever blisters, how will my hubby ever find me attractive after all this. We haven't had sex in 8 months, I think he's afraid to touch me. I don't blame him.
Stage III Colon Cancer; dx 8/8/07, at the age of 36; sigmoid colectomy 8/13/07; Finished 11 Rounds of Folfox 2/08; currently NED

http://michelepeters.blogspot.com

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:51 am

Michele - Sorry I can't remember, but what chemo are you taking? Are you taking Avastin or have you recently stopped taking it? You say the clotting is happening day and night - is it only during your period or at other times too? Have you had your blood counts done while this is happening or shortly thereafter? If so are you anemic? Has your onc's office done any other testing?

Just trying to get more info so that I can get a better answer...
:)Hannah
Hannah K. Vogler
Co-Founder, The Colon Club
cousin of Amanda Sherwood Roberts
dx 1/99 Stage III at age 24
died January 1, 2002 at age 27

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:54 am

Okay, I posted too fast! I just read down the forum and saw your post from today about being done with chemo! So what else did you take other than FOLFOX? Did you have any Procrit or Neulasta shots or anything at all other than your chemo?

:)Hannah
Hannah K. Vogler
Co-Founder, The Colon Club
cousin of Amanda Sherwood Roberts
dx 1/99 Stage III at age 24
died January 1, 2002 at age 27

mpeters6

Postby mpeters6 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:20 pm

I do take Neulasta after every treatment and have had 2 injections of Ariness (sp?) for anemia. The clotting is only during my periods, which last about 10 days. No avastin. I also take Lisinipril for blood pressure, Marinol, Lexapro and Levlin birth control pills.
Stage III Colon Cancer; dx 8/8/07, at the age of 36; sigmoid colectomy 8/13/07; Finished 11 Rounds of Folfox 2/08; currently NED

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:49 pm

Michele,

I wish that I could tell you that this is JUST because of chemo, but there is a chance that this clotting is totally unrelated. Your post brought back memories to me of how awful my periods were getting. I started this whole process after the birth of #2 child (1983) and although I always had small clots, they got worse and worse over the years.

I saw my GP, my OB/GYN (I did get pregnant 5 more times after this so it didn't interfer with any reproductive parts) and no one could ever pinpoint what was wrong. My blood counts were constantly being checked and for the most part, they never were anything but normal. They did start showing problems just before I was diagnosed, but that was always dismissed as due to the heavy periods.

I was put on all sorts of different birth control pills, but nothing seemed to control the bleeding and clots. Like you, I also had long periods-most of them lasted about 7 days but I did have a very few that would go beyond that. I think I could have handled the whole clotting thing a lot better if my period had only lasted, say 3 days.

Right before I was diagnosed, I had had it with the periods. My GP referred me to a GYN for something called endometrial ablation. I was told that it was a relatively easy procedure done in the doctor's office and that it would stop all bleeding pemanently for me. For younger women, it might stop the bleeding for a year or more, but honestly, I didn't pay that close attention to it. Your ovaries, however, still continue to produce estrogen, etc. so you do NOT go through menopause. I never had it done since less than a month later I was diagnosed with rectal cancer and everything else was put on hold.

The literature about the ablation seemed quite promising, so I would suggest that IF this continues and you are not wanting to get pregnant, you might consider asking your doc about having this procedure done. I know that it was HE@@ every month with those nasty periods and unbelievable cramps everytime I passed a clot! I feel for you Michele, because I know only too well how frustrating and annoying that week or so can be. Take care. Hope you get it all under control.

Jaynee
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

mpeters6

Postby mpeters6 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:32 pm

Jaynee, I am so glad you mentioned ablation, I think I am going to have that done if it doesn't get better, but I need to heal from chemo first. The trouble is, my doc won't do it unless my hubby is "fixed" or she ties my tubes. My hubby is not "fixed" and can't b/c of medical issues, so I'll have to get my tubes tied at the same time. But I think it would be worth it.
Thanks for the reply, I need to do some research on the ablation. Since I have had cancer, I would never consider having any more children anyway. I wouldn't take the chance. I have been blessed with 2 girls:)

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:25 pm

I can't relate to the periods, as mine have seemed to have almost stopped completely since chemo started. But I can relate to the intimacy issues. When I got home from the hospital I had the ileostomy bag, bruises all over my lower abdomen from the daily shots I had to take for blood clots, a Frankenstein looking scar down my tummy, numerous red scars from the HUGE blisters I got from an allergic reaction to the adhesive they used on the steri-strips on both sides of my incision and the scar from where those nasty drainage tubes were placed on the opposite side of my "bag" area. It couldn't have been uglier.

A couple of months after my surgery I finally felt okay enough to let my husband give me a back rub. I couldn't believe how much emotion was released. I didn't realize just how much I felt like damaged goods. After the back rub I had my first good nights sleep since the surgery.

Intimacy issues are still a challenge, despite my husband being completely supportive and there for me. I'm taking one day at a time and thank heavens he is patient, loving and there for me as I'm sure your husband is as well. I wish I had a magic answer for both of us as to how we can get over this, but I think it just takes time. Please know you are not alone in how you feel.
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”