If you could take to the hospital what would it be?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Lou

Postby Lou » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:15 am

I am trying to decide what I what with me at the hospital for after surgery.(besides the pain killers) Button up shirts, I always wear pull overs so I will need to buy, should I have a walking cane? I know I am going to take a fluffy fleece blanket, and one of my prized pillows. If you had a chance to look back what would you have had with you?
Still in Shock!
Thanks

Lou

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:45 am

You are very smart to ask this question of people who have just been through the surgery thing. I wish I had asked prior to my hospital stay, which was almost 2 1/2 weeks (had some trouble with adjusting to the ostomy - couldn't stop vomiting).

Some of this may be more pertinent to women, but here's what I appreciated the most.

Tweezers and a small mirror to pluck my eyebrows with. Weird, I know, but it made me feel better.

A good lotion. You will likely not have a lot of chances to take showers and you will be amazed how dried out and gross your skin gets when you can't shower daily. I did get to take sponge baths, but it's not the same.

Nail trimmers - for fingers and toes.

Toothbrush/toothpaste.

A good thick pair of socks. They keep your feet warm and it feels better when you are up and walking to have good socks on. Also helps to put lotion on and then put on the socks to keep your skin in decent shape.

My hair is long, and it got dirty, tangled and in the way a lot in the hospital bed. Thankfully one of the nurses was really good at french braiding and she helped me with my hair. If you have long hair, something to think about.

The painkillers made me loopy and dizzy so reading and TV wasn't something I was interested in for a long time during my stay. I could have left a lot of the reading material I thought I would go through at home.

Another suggestion, is that I had my husband send out daily e-mails to all my friends and family giving them daily updates of what was happening. I grouped them all under "Cancer Friends" in my address book. That way he didn't have to call multiple people and/or take phone calls. He could also let people know if and when I wanted visitors. Initially, I was so out of it I really didn't want people visiting. This helped me a lot and my friends/family really appreciated it.

At one point during my stay I had my husband pick up two large cookie trays. One for the day shift nurses and one for the evening shift nurses. I was fortunate - the nurses who cared for me were fantastic. They work so hard and we wanted to thank them, even if it was just a small gesture to let them know how much they were appreciated.
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

Islandgirl

What to bring to the hospital

Postby Islandgirl » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:18 pm

Great question!

I would bring something to write down notes in a journal or a notebook. That way when you ask someone or they volunteer info you can write it down or ask them to. I also got names of my caregivers in the hospital as my nursers, interns and aides for my first surgery were remarkably caring an attentive.When I got home I sent a thank you letter to the nurses desk.

A bible. The only thing I could or wanted to read. The Mayo clinic rates prayer the #1 best alternative method for healing. Alternative to conventional medicine that is.

Confy socks, lotion, hard candies or gum.

OK and the last thing if you can find one was and is the best thing I own for aches and pains. Especially some of the shoulder pains you get from gas after surgery. Its a pad filled with beans or rice and it goes in the microwave. I used it every night both surgeries. My sister-in-law gave it to me and I still use it on my belly when I am constipated or just feeling achy.My nurses at both hospitals had no problem heating it in the nurses station microwave.

Be well and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Max
46 yr old mom of 3
Dia12/06 stage3
Folfox
r ovary 8/07
periti 1/08
3/08 HIPEC -
11/08 Flofiri +avast
1/09 liver mets
4/10 liver resect
11/10 folfox w avast
4/11 meta lungs/liver
Folfiri w avast
4/13 mets to lungs, liver, paracardial
Erbitux/xloda

Ruth

Postby Ruth » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:42 pm

Hi, the best thing that I had at the hospital was mints and gum. Actually chewing gum helped me to get my tummy back in working order after my ileostomy reversal. I had read somewhere that it helped, so I tried it and it did work for me. The mints helped with the nasty tastes you get in your mouth after anesthesia. I also brought my portable cd player and some cd's. Good luck and take care...Ruth

seussfan
Facebook Username: Trish Lannon

Postby seussfan » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:18 pm

My own blanket - hospital blankets suck.
deodorant
hand lotion - the air was really dry
chapstick
a robe
my own socks and slippers
picture of my family/kids
boxer shorts/t-shirts (I hate the hospital gowns)
Bring your cellphone and don't let them charge you for the room phone (we got charged $100 on our phone bill!!!)

After my surgery, I was so drugged up I couldn't stay awake for very long so magazines and books were a waste.
Stage 3 Colon Cancer-6 of 15 lymph nodes positive/Surgery & Dx 3-5-07/Finished Folfox4 11-28-07
Stage 0/Grade 3 Breast Cancer/Double mastectomy 5-15-09/Undergoing reconstruction
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/trishlannon
2009 Colondar Model

FiG-S~

Postby FiG-S~ » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:55 pm

Everything has already been said but I thought you might like to hear the repeats.

Bathrobe and slippers (They'll have you up and walking the halls.)
Journal (You'll forget everything you don't write down.)
CD player and CDs (Plus extra batteries)
Book
cell phone and charger
pictures
chapstick
Purrell
Lotion
deodorant
toothbrush/paste
Diagnosed 12/06 @ 35, stage IV

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:08 am

wow, I brought many things but was too wiped (drugged) to care or remember. What I do remember is a special nurse giving me a sponge bath a few days following my surgery, her asking me to wash my front while she washes my back side, I was TOO WIPED to care, she ended up washing my front side also. Bath robe and slippers were probably the best things I brought, I was unable to use my cell phone inside the hospital, my husband brought an old computer so I could watch some DVD, but it required more though process then I could muster (that drugged state again).

I did walk, walk, walk. They did release me an evening early before I was scheduled to be release. Something about walking outside in the parking lot (my brother was with me, I NEVER walked alone outside the hospital), anyway I think they figured I could probably walk home at that point.

The best of luck

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Lou

Postby Lou » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:34 am

Thank you for all you responses!!!!I had not thought about a lot of those.
I like the boxer shorts idea. warm neck roll sounds wonderful, lotion chapstick and toothbrush. Everything seems better after brushing your teeth.
I have some shopping to do. Please keep the ideas coming. I still have a week before I go in.
Thanks!!!!
Lou

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:14 am

As I thought more about your question I just thought I'd mention one other area - what needs to be done at home while you are in the hospital.

I made sure as many bills were paid before I went in as possible. I usually handle this (not hubby) and although he's more than competent, he was pretty stressed out about the whole thing, so I tried to minimize what he had to do at home while I was in the hospital.

Because he stopped by the hospital after work and got home late at night, a neighbor helped feed and put away our dogs in the evenings.

I had my in-laws pick up our mail at the post office box.

Those are the only things I can think of off the top of my head - but the point is, think about what YOU do that won't get done or someone else needs to do while you are in the hospital and make arrangements ahead of time to help out with these things in your absence. Our friends and family were more than happy to help in any way they could, we just had to ask and give them specific tasks. Good luck on your surgery and when you are able to post again, please let us know how you are doing.
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

Monique

Postby Monique » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:35 pm

Lou,

If you're sharing a room with someone, I would suggest bringing along some earplugs.

Best,
Monique

djmccluskey

Postby djmccluskey » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:39 pm

All good suggestions.

I had to have my laptop computer.

Also, I brought my Sirius Satellite Radio (You have to have a room with a south window). I used it at night mostly to play very peaceful music. The nurses used to love my room at night b/c of the soft music playing and the smell of fresh flowers from my friends and family. It was really peaceful.

Just some thoughts.
2010 Colondar Model - July
Stage 2 Rectal Cancer
Diagnosed 2/15/07
23 nodes, none positive
http://www.davidsfight.org

Luv2Run

Postby Luv2Run » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:30 pm

Your own pillow!

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:18 pm

I did do some reading, but not a whole lot. You probably won't need your own pain killers, and I doubt if they'll let you take them anyway. They'll give you lots of what you need, and they want to keep track of everything you take. You won't be taking anything orally for a while anyway. Gum is good. I took a bottle of No Rinse shampoo. Kept my head from getting too icky when I couldn't shower. A list of phone numbers is good. I had LOTS of people to update and quite a few I just wanted to chat with. I liked having my own blanket an pillow, but be sure to keep an eye on them. It's easy for a pollow to accidentally end up in the hospital laundry. A blanket will look more distinctive and will stand out more.
Dx Stage IIIC CC 3/10/06
Surgery 3/20/06
Folfox 4/06 - 10/06
Avastin 4/06 - 4/07
NED!

http://www.CoverYourButt.org
Healthcare is a right, not a privilege.

cptmac
Facebook Username: Dorothy McGrath

Postby cptmac » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:06 pm

I wish I would have bought an I-Pod. I have one now, I don't think they had come out, or are what they are now, when I was diagnosed. That way I could watch TV shows, play computer games and listen to music.

But my friends did get me a lot of handheld computer games. I also hung out in the kids ward, because they got all the cool computer games. Plus, they were fun to talk to.

Also, I really liked bringing my own shampoo and body wipes. So I smelled good, which made me feel better.

I'm a girl, but there was a hairsylist place listed on the bulletin board who would come and cut and style your hair. They had their own portable beauty sink, so I felt like I was at a hair cutting salon.

I found out where the ice machine and where extra drinks were kept, so I could get them myself when I was thirsty. Plus, I love cherry popsicles, so the nurses put in a special order for me.

Since I was supposed to eat a lot of meat, my roomates let me take their sausages and bacon for breakfast. So, roomates aren't all bad.

JoeM

Postby JoeM » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:39 pm

All of the above are great suggestions, and I liked taking my portable DVD player and some light movies.
Stage 2b colon cancer
surgery and resection 1/25/08
currently on oxi,5fu,leucovorin

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”