Time for Re-check

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!

Time for Re-check

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:28 pm

Hi All,

It has been six months since I have been to the doctor. Had the pet and cat and all was well. Now it's time to do it all again. I go Thursday, they will interview me, give me a good look, then schedule the scans and blood work again.

Here is my question to those who have been here before me.....Do you get scared, kind of a sinking feeling when it comes time for these tests? I know last time I felt just as I do now. It never left me until I got the results. I have prayed and prayed, tried turning it over to our heavenly Father. I still have this horrible sinking feeling. I know it is fear, I know I am not in control of the outcome.

I wonder is this how it will be from now on? Everytime I get a weird ache or pain I think....is it back? Tell me this is only temporary, that as time goes on the fear subsides and we face our checkups with confidence and grace. That is what I wish for today.

Hoping everyone is having a good weekend. Have a safe roll Holly!

Mary

Maggie

Postby Maggie » Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:34 pm

Hi Mary,
Well, It's been 5 1/2 years since I was diagnosed and given a clean bill of health. I won't say I neccessarily face my yearly check-ups with condfidence and grace, but I will say it gets better and easier every year. I do have a moment before each colonocscopy where I freak out and feel helpless, but I really think a lot of the feeling isn't because I think the cancer is back, but more because I am having a colonoscopy, which is what I did when I was diagnosed, leaving me feeling similar feelings. It has gotten easier, but I will admit that my body does weird things when my year rolls around. It's like the it goes through the motions it went through when I was sick. When everything is still fresh in your mind, it's hard not to worry. It does a little easier each time. I'm not going to tell you not to worry, but just be confident that you are taking the situation in your hands and doing the necessary, proactive things to stay healthy. Good luck!!! I am sure everything will be fine!!!
Maggie

lisa61

Re: Time for Re-check

Postby lisa61 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:15 pm

Anonymous wrote:Hi All,
Mary, Yes I get very scared and in fact almost make myself sick. I know how you feel.

Lisa
It has been six months since I have been to the doctor. Had the pet and cat and all was well. Now it's time to do it all again. I go Thursday, they will interview me, give me a good look, then schedule the scans and blood work again.

Here is my question to those who have been here before me.....Do you get scared, kind of a sinking feeling when it comes time for these tests? I know last time I felt just as I do now. It never left me until I got the results. I have prayed and prayed, tried turning it over to our heavenly Father. I still have this horrible sinking feeling. I know it is fear, I know I am not in control of the outcome.

I wonder is this how it will be from now on? Everytime I get a weird ache or pain I think....is it back? Tell me this is only temporary, that as time goes on the fear subsides and we face our checkups with confidence and grace. That is what I wish for today.

Hoping everyone is having a good weekend. Have a safe roll Holly!

Mary

Ron50

nerves

Postby Ron50 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:57 pm

Hi Mary,
The worst part of my recovery was just after I finished treatment. I had surgery for stage 3 colon ca into 6 of 13 lymph glands followed by 48 sessions of 5fu and some revolting stuff called levamisole. Then there was nothing,no treatments just tests. I have thought about it a lot and I truly believe that it is not the ca you have to conquer it is fear. Leave the ca to the docs. I have just about beaten my fear of ca ,sure I worry sometimes but no more than a non cancer sufferer who has to have a checkup. By and large after 8 yrs + I'm practical and vigilant I have my scopes,I don't expect cancer ,I do expect the occassional polyp and they have found a few little ones. You have taken a step in dealing with your fears by coming to this site. Trust your docs ,trust in God,Trust yourself and believe your faith.You will be fine,Ron.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”